Did the latest firmware fix the GPS issue?

Search This thread

dakine

Nov 13, 2006
I can't seem to find a straight answer to this so I'm starting a new thread.

With the JF3 firmware the GPS on my 2 phones is often not very accurate or completely loses it's position under what could be considered good conditions for a gps reciever.

Did the new firmware fix this problem?

Please only reply if you actually noticed the problem and can compare it with the new firmware.

Using GPS test is the phone now able to use signals with an snr of lower than 22?

Elinsa

Jun 29, 2009
No, it refuses to use GPS with snr under 22, as long as you don't locked them when they were higher. In that case it keeps them downto snr 17, and then drops them.

crabby09

Jan 28, 2009
In contrast... I just flashed G3 and my GPS now locks in about 5 seconds.

It doesn't lock below 22... But for me it now doesn't need to.

Crabby

peterlan

Aug 4, 2007
In contrast... I just flashed G3 and my GPS now locks in about 5 seconds.

It doesn't lock below 22... But for me it now doesn't need to.

Crabby

Mine also locks in a few seconds, but it loses the lock again after a while. Then it locks again, the lock disappear, and so on. Completely useless as navigator.

sjdean

Jul 3, 2010
This is quite worrying, because it suggests more than just a firmware problem.

To those who have flashed and it hasn't worked, some suggest flashing using the repartition option.

But this experience is why I don't want to flash my phone. If there's a hardware error, I can't rightly be taking it back.

Might get a HTC Desire and put the extra few quid up towards a 32 Gig memory card.

Cya
Simon

crabby09

Jan 28, 2009
on further testing... My phone does use satellites of 19 to 22... But only if it is connected to less than 8 other satellites.

And I don't seem to have a disconnect issue.

Crabby

dakine

Nov 13, 2006
Yes the problem isnt that it wont connect but that the thing often thinks you are on an offramp or a road next to the highway you are travelling on because the sinal is too weak/inaccurate. I tested this with 3 different nav programs and get the same result.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

sjdean

Jul 3, 2010
on further testing... My phone does use satellites of 19 to 22... But only if it is connected to less than 8 other satellites.

And I don't seem to have a disconnect issue.

Crabby

Let me get this straight, using GPS Test, you do see orange satellites through regular use?

This is all beginning to make sense now.

Unlike HTC which seems to use a GPS chip that is capable of 12 Satellite fixes, Samsung is using a GPS chip that can only lock onto 8.

I would think therefore that what it is trying to do, is to select the 8 strongest satellite signals which means it's already at a disadvantage, because as soon as you walk behind a tall building, it has to work to try and find and lock onto others. But when you walk past the building it goes back to the other satellites.

This probably explains why everything is jumping around. Because it's not using the weaker satellites in the distance until its too late.

bl4ckdr4g00n

Jul 1, 2010
Maybe you guys have the problem of "you hold it wrong" :D
when I put the phone's face upward, I got only 2-3 satelline locked
stick my phone up => 10 satellites locked and most of them are green
cheers :D

Evans_Prophet

Feb 6, 2006
No - I have installed JG3 and still have the same problems. GPS is practically useless.

Its nice I still have my HTC touc hd - I get a pinpoint lock immediatelly.

dakine

Nov 13, 2006
Don't think it's possible to use an external gps with android. How do you tell the os or app to use the external one instead?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

dakine

Nov 13, 2006
Well guess I just need to flash my phone and try it myself. I wish Samsung would just release an official update already.

dannyd2134

Jul 10, 2010
Well that sucks, let's hope it's not a hardware problem :(

*#*#1472365#*#* gps test

Type this in using the keypad and then find skyhook and turn it on. This will help your GPS locate quicker and stay locked. :D I can get satallites in my living room! :D

*do not adjust anything else*

Last edited:

dakine

Nov 13, 2006
Anyone else tried playing with the accuracy value in that menu? It seems like it has an effect on locking satellites but I'm not sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How so? Its a constant, accurate GPS connection. Plus its INDOORS. Once I go outside in my car, its even better.