CWM recovery | Custom Clean ROM | Tweaks for Android watch phone Z1 (MT6516)

Search This thread

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
Z1 (brand unknown) is wrist watch phone with Android OS. It was first released in 4/2012 and it is Android 2.2.1. It has WiFi, AGPS, GSM/EDGE, 2 MP camera, mic, speaker, loudspeaker, capacitive touchscreen, display of 320x240, SDHC & SIM card slots etc.

As most Chinese phones it has SoC from MediaTek, MT6516 (armv5).

See my Czech review for photos: http://hodinky.blog.mobilmania.cz/2012/06/z1-hodinko-telefon-s-androidem/

Tweaks/tips for stock ROM (2.2.1)
  • Market/Google Play is missing in stock rom but it cam be added if you follow instructions on the page: http://www.ibuygou.com/p-z1_smart_android_2_2_watch_phone_gps_wifi_bluetooth_html-3638-usd.html (included in Clean ROM)
  • Default DPI is 120 however most controls are too small. Change it to 160 which will make all icons sharp. (included in Clean ROM)
  • Typing on tiny QWERTY soft keyboard is a pain, Flit Keyboard makes entering text much easier. (included in Clean ROM)
  • To enter engineering mode, dial *#*#8787#*#*
  • ADWLauncher EX works even better if you (see):
    Disable all animations including scrolling homescreen
    Disable dockbar and use swipe up instead (included in Clean ROM)
    4x3 icon layout for home screen and 5x2 for drawer (included in Clean ROM)
    Use something like Extended controls for toggles
  • Use No Lock if you don't need swipe to unlock feature.
  • Remove alternative Chinese markets and Chinese network account/sync providers from /system/app (included in Clean ROM)

Creating flashable dump
Use MT6516 BackUpTool for dumping your stock rom.
Use MTK_Rom_Studio_1.0.0a for converting dump into flashable format.

Flashing
Basically you need the driver: "MT6516_YuSu_USB_VCOM.inf" and flashing tool: "SP Flash Tool v1.1110". All tools can be found on the internet when searching for "MT6516 flash tools". The only necessary tools reuploaded can be found also here. (I'm not sure about the legality of these tools though.)
You have to use 32 bit Windows (I only tried XP in both VirtualBox and VMware but it could work with 32 bit Vista or 7).
Power off the watch, connect it directly to PC (no USB hub or extention cable) - new device will connect for few seconds - use it to install the driver. Unplug watch. (You may retry that few times because the watch disconnect within few seconds) Open flashing tool and select files to flash (I would recommend not to flash anything other than boot/recovery/system/data/logo), hit start and quickly connect the watch - flashing will start automatically.

Recovery
First build of ClockworkMod 5.0.2.8 seems to be working however all its features were not tested yet!
Recovery can be flashed with "SP Flash Tool" (use provided scatter file).
Rebooting to recovery from launched Android using "reboot recovery" works but I wasn't able to find working button shortcut to launch recovery directly from cold start. Please help me if you find a way!

Custom Clean ROM based on stock 2.2.1
Features
  • Removed alternative Chinese markets and Chinese (social) network accounts
  • Integration of Google apps (sync, Google Play, setup wizard etc)
  • DPI changed to 160 which makes the watch easier to control and the icons sharper
  • Preconfigured ADW Launcher, Flit keyboard
  • Includes root with Superuser, Busybox binaries
  • Minor clean-ups
So far this ROM doesn't include anything power user from XDA wouldn't be able to customize but this ROM is afford to save other users time with experiments.

Important notes:
  • Backing up your current ROM + data is highly recommended (use the above listed MT6516 BackUpTool)
  • The seller says you shouldn't do factory reset because of IMEI lost - I can't confirmed that - IMEI is kept even during factory resets so it doesn't seem to be stored in user data partition. BUT backup your current ROM anyway cause I might be wrong.

Clean ROM notes:
  • The first boot is slow. After the first boot, I recommend not touching the watch for 5-10 minutes because dalvik cache is rebuilding in the background and the setup wizard may lag a lot.
  • The default ADW launcher is configured to not have app drawer button - swipe up to open drawer
  • Known issue (to be fixed later): Because of DPI change - Bottom row of button in Dialer is smaller, however all buttons can be pressed
  • Known issue (to be fixed later): Because of DPI change - Superuser (root) confirmation dialog buttons aren't readable however the buttons are partly visible and can be pressed (press bottom left button to allow root acces)
  • Known issue (to be fixed later): Because of DPI change - There is small graphical glitch on the lock screen which however doesn't break anything

Flashing recovery is not needed at all. Just make sure you flash both partitions (it will erase all your data on the watch but not on SD). Follow instructions above on how to flash.

ROM download: http://www.multiupload.nl/3LHJ33CW95
or http://www.multiupload.nl/JK6NOATJ57

i2oggk.png
2ld7x9x.png

CM ROM
WIP, first build of CyanogenMod 7 (2.3.7) booted so I continue testing/evaluating. So far I only used stock kernel but I have source for MT6516 kernel.
Notes: WiFi chip - MediaTek MT5921 - no open source driver
Currently on hold.

Proofs
;)
2lw5a90.jpg

2e5ihx1.jpg

Attachments

• MT6516_Z1-CWM_5.0.2.8-alpha1.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 2,511
Last edited:

ffinder

Apr 9, 2011
Flit Keyboard

Typing on tiny QWERTY soft keyboard is a pain, Flit Keyboard makes entering text much easier.

I actually have bought 3 Z1's and virtual keyboard is REALLY a pain..

Flit Keyboard makes entering text much easier ! !

Just Eight ( 8 ) >> Huge << Buttons Keyboard..

..that By Easily Sliding You Can Type:

>> All << Alphanumeric Characters And Symbols ! !

No More Accidentally Typing Wrong Characters ! !

Perfect 5..

(this Should Have Been THE Number One Android Keyboard..)

Thanks moneytoo ! !

ff

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

Z1 Android Watch-Phone

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z1_Android_Watch-Phone

ff

m34n1ng

Apr 6, 2012
Ive been thinking about buying the watch to use as a mp3 player, would you recomend it?

Sent from my NWZ-Z1000Series using xda app-developers app

alcuin

Jan 28, 2004
Everything in this thread has been helpful, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

DPI at 160 looks great. Unfortunately many apps will not fit, including keyboard, phone, and superuser prompt. Either find alternate keyboard and set superuser to auto-grant, or switch back and forth between 120 and 160 as necessary.
I like No Lock, but I find the phone wake-locking all the time until I turned No Lock off. I also like the fact that the time is there in big letters on the lock screen. It's very suitable for its watch functionality.

Reactions: adthor

Linuxslate

Jan 13, 2009
linuxslate.com
I did a manual backup without rooting (No need for Z4 Root)

Download and unrar MT6516 BackUpTool, but do not install anything.

On the Linux/Mac box, open the gscript folder, and open back22.sh in editor, or viewer.

Connect the watch via USB, and connect via adb shell

Cut, paste and execute each line from the back22.sh file
up to and including the last dd command in the first section - in other words

Code:
dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd11 of=/sdcard/backup_/expdb.img

Obviously, you don't do the comment lines.

exit the shell

Code:
exit

do:

Code:
adb remount

Install yaffs2image:

Code:
adb push <your_path_on_PC_to>/Install/BackUp/yaffs_back_2.2/gen/mkyaffs2image /system/bin/mkyaffs2image

Code:
adb shell chmod 4777 /system/bin/mkyaffs2image

(Again, the above is a cut and paste from the script)

Code:
adb remount
(for safety)

Code:
adb shell

Then cut and paste the remaining 3 mkyaffs2img commands.
Then:

Code:
exit

Copy the backup_ folder on the SD car to someplace safe.
If you want, you can remove mkyaffsimg:

Code:
adb remount

Code:
adb shell rm /system/bin/mkyaffs2image

Code:
adb remount

It's definitely more steps, but it leaves the system technically un-touched, un-rooted, and even returnable if you should have to.

alcuin

Jan 28, 2004
Some more useful apps.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coinsoft.android.orientcontrol
Orientation control to lock the screen in landscape mode; not free but worth it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=itosisato.setsunasato.kokoroduyosato
Home button for soft home button in notification tray. Free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.katecca.screenofflock
Off button in notification tray. Free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.mini.android
Opera mini has server side compression so makes best use of the slow 3g speed, but no multitouch so zooming is difficult.

alcuin

Jan 28, 2004
Ive been thinking about buying the watch to use as a mp3 player, would you recomend it?

Sent from my NWZ-Z1000Series using xda app-developers app

It can be done, but the MotoActv might be better, because the motoactv has a headphone jack so you can use any headphones you want. On the Z1, you have to use bluetooth headphones or a bluetooth headphone adapter.

southbird

Feb 12, 2010
I just ordered one of these last week, should have arrived today ... glad to see this exists!

Other than configuration/display-size issues, does everything work, i.e. all hardware? I noticed you had a note about the Wifi driver not being open source, but I assume that more effects if you try the MT6516 kernel. Even if it's a closed binary, I assume you could still load it and use it though. I'm not expecting any leaps and bounds in the kernel department.

As for CWM, is any part of it executed at cold boot? If so, I imagine you'd need to implement some kind of timeout menu that could optionally enter recovery before booting the watch. This is similar to what was implemented on the Kindle Fire which also doesn't have a normal stock recovery mode.

I assume you're still evaluating CM7 so you're not ready to distribute it ... but I do hope to see more from you soon, especially a HOWTO and download links!

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
I spent many nights trying to make GSM or WiFi working. Except few tweaks I only got the modem to start but nothing more. I have no experience with porting of binary drivers and this device has so many of them. Radio/modem and kernel modules - there are no problems with them but there are just too many dependencies on proprietary libs even from standard android native binaries.
So I'm giving up. At least for now cause I just don't have enough knowledge.

I consider making custom rom based on stock Android but I don't know if there would be any demand. Proper integration of Google apps, Chinese apps/account providers removed, tweaked launcher/drawer settings, tweaked global dpi/dpi of apps that not fit...

To have at least something, I give you very simple app "Z1 Backlight Toggle" apk (attached in 1st post) which can turn off completely display backlight. (Needs root) I use it on my bike when I have navigation running all the time cause it indeed saves battery and backlight isn't needed at all under direct sunlight, the display is readable the same.

southbird

Feb 12, 2010
I spent many nights trying to make GSM or WiFi working. Except few tweaks I only got the modem to start but nothing more. I have no experience with porting of binary drivers and this device has so many of them. Radio/modem and kernel modules - there are no problems with them but there are just too many dependencies on proprietary libs even from standard android native binaries.

That's fine, I understand how frustrating these things can be. But still, can you post information about how to backup / restore the firmware and how to flash a custom ROM? I might try playing with it myself sometime and at least having the knowledge would enable further experimentation.

southbird

Feb 12, 2010

I have an idea ... if we can get the MTK6516 kernel to build and boot, that's one step. If we can then get Android 2.2 stock to build, and then compare it against an image of the Z1's file system, we should, in theory, be able to identify all the unique areas of the watch's Android setup. If we at least know how to build an identical watch Android from source we should be able to extend that into making Cyanogen Mod work ... or something else. I think it's worth a shot anyway!

Also for an identical kernel, there shouldn't be any need to "port" binary drivers ... ideally they're built-in or load as modules, same as any other drivers.

I consider making custom rom based on stock Android but I don't know if there would be any demand.

You're probably right there will be very limited demand. So I ask again, if you can at least post steps about reflashing the watch, I'll give it my best shot. I just want to be sure I can restore the watch after messing around with it. Which I'm guessing you were able to since you didn't claim any permanent damage. It seems it should be able to go into a factory restore mode which I hope will override any messed up systems.

WTF!!!! a wrist phone with Android OS.... This is so freaking cool!!! :D:thumbup:
Awesome......

It really is neat. Kind of limited, but really neat. I think if we can get any amount of control over the kernel and Android version, we can really extend the abilities of the watch. It just needs a chance...

Last edited:

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
I have an idea ... if we can get the MTK6516 kernel to build and boot, that's one step. If we can then get Android 2.2 stock to build, and then compare it against an image of the Z1's file system, we should, in theory, be able to identify all the unique areas of the watch's Android setup. If we at least know how to build an identical watch Android from source we should be able to extend that into making Cyanogen Mod work ... or something else. I think it's worth a shot anyway!

Also for an identical kernel, there shouldn't be any need to "port" binary drivers ... ideally they're built-in or load as modules, same as any other drivers.

In my opinion there's no problem with kernel, modules or libraries, we can just reuse them. The real issue I think is native android binaries such as wpa_supplicant or rild. We can either use (original) already built binaries or build new ones - but this is the problem... Original binaries depend on proprietary libraries so they "do something" important with devices. Newly build binaries just don't have that unknown functionality. Yes, reusing stock binaries might work for 2.2 but my only target so far was 2.3 since that would be real benefit for us.

So I ask again, if you can at least post steps about reflashing the watch, I'll give it my best shot.

Have a look here: http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.cz/2011/02/mtk-hd2-hd9-flashing-tutorial.html
Basically you need the driver: "MT6516_YuSu_USB_VCOM.inf" and flashing tool: "SP Flash Tool v1.1110". You have to use 32 bit Windows (I only tried XP in both VirtualBox and VMware but it could work with 32 bit Vista or 7 as well).
Power off the watch, connect it directly to PC (no USB hub or extention cable) - new device will connect for few seconds - use it to install the driver. Unplug watch. Open flashing tool and select files to flash (I would recommend not to flash anything other than boot/recovery/system/data/logo), hit start and quickly connect the watch - flashing will start automatically.

adthor

Feb 27, 2006
To have at least something, I give you very simple app "Z1 Backlight Toggle" apk (attached in 1st post) which can turn off completely display backlight. (Needs root) I use it on my bike when I have navigation running all the time cause it indeed saves battery and backlight isn't needed at all under direct sunlight, the display is readable the same.

Which navigation software are you using?

southbird

Feb 12, 2010
Which navigation software are you using?

No idea what he's using, but I'll say that Sygic worked when NOT navigating (doing a route caused it to force close, I'm guessing possibly out of memory??) Using OsmAnd works pretty well ... of course, it's Open Street Map with all the usual limitations.

ffinder

Apr 9, 2011
No idea what he's using,
but I'll say that Sygic worked when NOT navigating
(doing a route caused it to force close, I'm guessing possibly out of memory??)
Using OsmAnd works pretty well ... of course, it's Open Street Map
with all the usual limitations.

Sygic 10 works nice with Z1 using 3D maps.
Sygic 12 works nice with Z1 using 2D maps.
When attempting to navigate Sygic 12 with 3D maps enabled,
the Sygic 12 crashes and Z1 returns to Home screen.

Correction..

Sygic 12 works nice with Z1 using 3D maps
only when Autozoom is turned off:

Settings > Map > Autozoom [untick]

ff

Last edited:

apurvasrishti

Sep 9, 2006
New Delhi
www.l0ve.co.nr
I consider making custom rom based on stock Android but I don't know if there would be any demand. Proper integration of Google apps, Chinese apps/account providers removed, tweaked launcher/drawer settings, tweaked global dpi/dpi of apps that not fit...

That is exactly what needs to be done! If porting the binaries is not possible at the moment, why not go ahead with building with stock android, with proper google account and apps, and removing the chinese accounts.

Once you have tweaked launcher/drawer, tweaked dpi of apps that not fit etc done, it would be almost as good as running CM7. Any improvement would be a big improvement :)

I sincerely hope that you continue development, the demand for a stock ROM is sure to come as the device becomes more popular, as of now, there is nobody developing for Z1, that i know of.

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
That is exactly what needs to be done! If porting the binaries is not possible at the moment, why not go ahead with building with stock android, with proper google account and apps, and removing the chinese accounts.

Once you have tweaked launcher/drawer, tweaked dpi of apps that not fit etc done, it would be almost as good as running CM7. Any improvement would be a big improvement :)

I sincerely hope that you continue development, the demand for a stock ROM is sure to come as the device becomes more popular, as of now, there is nobody developing for Z1, that i know of.

I started cooking custom ROM based on the stock two days ago and I'm very happy with it. :) Proper integration of setup wizard, google apps, keyboard, dpi, orientation, better preconfigured launcher, working voice search etc.

Reactions: apurvasrishti

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Z1 (brand unknown) is wrist watch phone with Android OS. It was first released in 4/2012 and it is Android 2.2.1. It has WiFi, AGPS, GSM/EDGE, 2 MP camera, mic, speaker, loudspeaker, capacitive touchscreen, display of 320x240, SDHC & SIM card slots etc.

As most Chinese phones it has SoC from MediaTek, MT6516 (armv5).

See my Czech review for photos: http://hodinky.blog.mobilmania.cz/2012/06/z1-hodinko-telefon-s-androidem/

Tweaks/tips for stock ROM (2.2.1)
    • Market/Google Play is missing in stock rom but it cam be added if you follow instructions on the page: http://www.ibuygou.com/p-z1_smart_android_2_2_watch_phone_gps_wifi_bluetooth_html-3638-usd.html (included in Clean ROM)
    • Default DPI is 120 however most controls are too small. Change it to 160 which will make all icons sharp. (included in Clean ROM)
    • Typing on tiny QWERTY soft keyboard is a pain, Flit Keyboard makes entering text much easier. (included in Clean ROM)
    • To enter engineering mode, dial *#*#8787#*#*
    • ADWLauncher EX works even better if you (see):
      Disable all animations including scrolling homescreen
      Disable dockbar and use swipe up instead (included in Clean ROM)
      4x3 icon layout for home screen and 5x2 for drawer (included in Clean ROM)
      Use something like Extended controls for toggles
    • Use No Lock if you don't need swipe to unlock feature.
    • Remove alternative Chinese markets and Chinese network account/sync providers from /system/app (included in Clean ROM)

Creating flashable dump
    Use MT6516 BackUpTool for dumping your stock rom.
    Use MTK_Rom_Studio_1.0.0a for converting dump into flashable format.

Flashing
    Basically you need the driver: "MT6516_YuSu_USB_VCOM.inf" and flashing tool: "SP Flash Tool v1.1110". All tools can be found on the internet when searching for "MT6516 flash tools". The only necessary tools reuploaded can be found also here. (I'm not sure about the legality of these tools though.)
    You have to use 32 bit Windows (I only tried XP in both VirtualBox and VMware but it could work with 32 bit Vista or 7).
    Power off the watch, connect it directly to PC (no USB hub or extention cable) - new device will connect for few seconds - use it to install the driver. Unplug watch. (You may retry that few times because the watch disconnect within few seconds) Open flashing tool and select files to flash (I would recommend not to flash anything other than boot/recovery/system/data/logo), hit start and quickly connect the watch - flashing will start automatically.

Recovery
    First build of ClockworkMod 5.0.2.8 seems to be working however all its features were not tested yet!
    Recovery can be flashed with "SP Flash Tool" (use provided scatter file).
    Rebooting to recovery from launched Android using "reboot recovery" works but I wasn't able to find working button shortcut to launch recovery directly from cold start. Please help me if you find a way!

Custom Clean ROM based on stock 2.2.1
    Features
    • Removed alternative Chinese markets and Chinese (social) network accounts
    • Integration of Google apps (sync, Google Play, setup wizard etc)
    • DPI changed to 160 which makes the watch easier to control and the icons sharper
    • Preconfigured ADW Launcher, Flit keyboard
    • Includes root with Superuser, Busybox binaries
    • Minor clean-ups
    So far this ROM doesn't include anything power user from XDA wouldn't be able to customize but this ROM is afford to save other users time with experiments.

Important notes:
    • Backing up your current ROM + data is highly recommended (use the above listed MT6516 BackUpTool)
    • The seller says you shouldn't do factory reset because of IMEI lost - I can't confirmed that - IMEI is kept even during factory resets so it doesn't seem to be stored in user data partition. BUT backup your current ROM anyway cause I might be wrong.

Clean ROM notes:
    • The first boot is slow. After the first boot, I recommend not touching the watch for 5-10 minutes because dalvik cache is rebuilding in the background and the setup wizard may lag a lot.
    • The default ADW launcher is configured to not have app drawer button - swipe up to open drawer
    • Known issue (to be fixed later): Because of DPI change - Bottom row of button in Dialer is smaller, however all buttons can be pressed
    • Known issue (to be fixed later): Because of DPI change - Superuser (root) confirmation dialog buttons aren't readable however the buttons are partly visible and can be pressed (press bottom left button to allow root acces)
    • Known issue (to be fixed later): Because of DPI change - There is small graphical glitch on the lock screen which however doesn't break anything

Flashing recovery is not needed at all. Just make sure you flash both partitions (it will erase all your data on the watch but not on SD). Follow instructions above on how to flash.

ROM download: http://www.multiupload.nl/3LHJ33CW95
    or http://www.multiupload.nl/JK6NOATJ57

i2oggk.png
    2ld7x9x.png

CM ROM
    WIP, first build of CyanogenMod 7 (2.3.7) booted so I continue testing/evaluating. So far I only used stock kernel but I have source for MT6516 kernel.
    Notes: WiFi chip - MediaTek MT5921 - no open source driver
    Currently on hold.

Proofs
    ;)
    2lw5a90.jpg

2e5ihx1.jpg

First version of Custom Clean ROM is available, more info in the first post. Volunteers (on their own risk) can try flashing the ROM and report. ;)
    Everything in this thread has been helpful, I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

DPI at 160 looks great. Unfortunately many apps will not fit, including keyboard, phone, and superuser prompt. Either find alternate keyboard and set superuser to auto-grant, or switch back and forth between 120 and 160 as necessary.
    I like No Lock, but I find the phone wake-locking all the time until I turned No Lock off. I also like the fact that the time is there in big letters on the lock screen. It's very suitable for its watch functionality.

I started cooking custom ROM based on the stock two days ago and I'm very happy with it. :) Proper integration of setup wizard, google apps, keyboard, dpi, orientation, better preconfigured launcher, working voice search etc.