[HOW TO] write to the external SD card (must be rooted)

Search This thread

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2715657

OK so as you have noticed kit kat does NOT allow third party apps to write to the SD card, this is stupid, but lucky for us we have a fix IF you are rooted

we have 2 solutions

1) using root explorer or something similar go to

/system/etc/permissions/platform.xml
and enter the permission that i have circled in red below (see attached) then it will work. Enter it so it looks EXACTALLY like it does below

2) the other option that MAY work is to go to the play store and download SDFix, that does the same thing (however myself and a few others are reporting that it isnt working as it is written)

big thanks to Mr Sam Epic for showing the fix, which came from Unknown Force in a SGS4 forum

****edit 4/19

had a few reports of SDFix not working, it didnt for me, i thought it was just a random error, what i did to fix it was to go into platform.xml and manually edit the permission so it looks exactally like the image below, i put in the extra return after the permission, there is not a logical reason why this fixed it, but it did

bradthemarsh

Jan 19, 2011
Also if you're going the non-rooted approach, although not necessarily preferred, it does work to just copy stuff with the stock my files app, as it is a system app rather than third party.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: evilbeef54

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
I'm having to copy my movie and music files to sdcard via the my files app. The app makers need to update so we can automatically save to sd.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

evilbeef54

Jul 14, 2008
I'm having to copy my movie and music files to sdcard via the my files app. The app makers need to update so we can automatically save to sd.

If you are rooted and do the fix I listed above and then reboot you should be able to change the directory it saves to, if not uninstall and reinstall the app and all should be fine

Reactions: simacca

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Also if you're going the non-rooted approach, although not necessarily preferred, it does work to just copy stuff with the stock my files app, as it is a system app rather than third party.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

If you are rooted and do the fix I listed above and then reboot you should be able to change the directory it saves to, if not uninstall and reinstall the app and all should be fine