Samsung sidekick 4G

Search This thread

Wreximus

Mar 7, 2011
Has anyone begun working on rooting and customizing roms yet? I know the device isn't out for a week or so but I would figure I would ask. My vibrant I so much better rooted and I wanted the same experience on this sidekick.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA App

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone begun working on rooting and customizing roms yet? I know the device isn't out for a week or so but I would figure I would ask. My vibrant I so much better rooted and I wanted the same experience on this sidekick.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA App

i wish i knew how to do this, but if i can't figure it out, i'm sure others will soon.

abliss

Jun 7, 2006
Just got mine last night. The usual Samsung trick with rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin works great.

Last edited:

brenix

Mar 24, 2011
San Diego
Has anyone tried using SuperOneClick yet?? I will probably try in a bit and post back with my results..

josby

Oct 21, 2006
Richmond, VA
I got it working on mine too. The basic steps were

1) enable debug USB mode on your phone

2) install Samsung drivers for the phone - right now Samsung's site seems to not have a choice for the Sidekick 4G's model (SGH-T839), but I grabbed the drivers for the Vibrant (at www .samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-T959ZKDTMB) and they worked.

3) get adb shell working on your PC (Google it)

4) download the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and Superuser packages from the links in this page: wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=HTC_Hero_%28CDMA%29:_Full_Update_Guide (be sure to unzip the files into the directory where your adb.exe program is unless you've put it in your path)

5) reboot your phone and plug it in

6) adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

7) adb shell

8) cd /data/local/tmp

9) chmod 755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

10) ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

11) wait until you get booted back out to your DOS command prompt

12) adb kill-server

13) adb start-server

14) adb shell

15) you should now be at a # prompt. The first few times I tried, I wasn't - I was at $. Doing this from a fresh boot seemed to be the trick. Reboot your phone and try again if you're getting a $.

16) mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system

17) exit

18) adb push su /system/xbin

19) adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su

20) adb push Superuser.apk /system/app

21) adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/stl9 /system

22) exit

23) reboot the phone then run an app that requests root, such as Root Explorer, to verify

(p.s. sorry for having to mangle the URL's above, XDA won't let me include links since I haven't posted 8 times yet)

Last edited:

brenix

Mar 24, 2011
San Diego
16) mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/st19 /system

21) adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/st19 /system

Just to note, on step 16 and 21... it is /dev/block/stl9 rather than st19

Also, after step 20, I had to run the following commands for the superuser application to grant root privledges to applications..

adb shell echo "root::0:0:root:/data/local:/system/bin/sh" > /etc/passwd
adb shell echo "root::0:" > /etc/group

Last edited:

triplexpresso

Jun 27, 2010
Awesome to see it being rooted so fast.

I'm really interesting in getting this phone but I'm not in the US. Does anyone know if the phone will work outside US?

Last edited:

josby

Oct 21, 2006
Richmond, VA
Just to note, on step 16 and 21... it is /dev/block/stl9 rather than st19

Dang, good catch, thanks. That's what I get for not copying and pasting from my terminal window...stupid, since I was just chastising two people at work for making the same mistake yesterday. I've edited the original post to prevent problems for people who might start before reading the entire thread.

Interesting about having to create a passwd and group file...I've only run a few root apps so far, but they've worked without me doing this. I wonder if it's app-specific.

Now to start removing some of the damn bloatware this thing comes with!

Last edited:

Reviewers

Mar 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
i get stuck on there it says unable to chmod no such file or directory . there's SU in my android-sdk/tools

Last edited:

havikx

Feb 4, 2009
i'm so glad this thing got rooted. i used to be a scene kid with a kick. i dont have this phone, i doubt i'm going to get this phone considering the sensation is droppin soon.... but for nostalgia purposes, i'm glad it got rooted. now you can really hack it!!!

not like the old ones!!

droctii

Jan 20, 2007
Good looking out...I rooted mine earlier today. What version of Clockworkmod Recovery are you all using?

Last edited:

josby

Oct 21, 2006
Richmond, VA
i get stuck on there it says unable to chmod no such file or directory . there's SU in my android-sdk/tools

Double-check your step 18...that's the step that copies the su file from your computer onto the phone. I forget the exact output format, but it shows you a Kb/second number of how fast the file transfer went when it finishes successfully.

josby

Oct 21, 2006
Richmond, VA
Good looking out...I rooted mine earlier today. What version of Clockworkmod Recovery are you all using?

I'm not brave enough to try putting the ClockworkMod for one of the Samsung devices on the list onto mine, for fear of bricking it. Don't know enough about that works as far as hardware differences go.

I have removed the APK's listed below from /system/app with no apparent ill-effects. Not that YOU should remove them necessarily - just that they're things I don't have a need for:

AccountAndSync.apk
AmazonMp3.apk
AppPack.apk
DriveSmart.apk
DriveSmartHelper.apk
install_flash_player.apk
LiveWallpapers.apk
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
Memo.apk
MiniDiary.apk
MobileBackup.apk
MyFiles.apk
PhoneSetupWizard.apk
Twitter-2.0.1-121.apk
vvm-signed.apk

Though there must be something I don't fully understand, because even after a reboot, Amazon MP3 and AppPack are still on my phone, and they still work.

FYI, don't remove Settings.apk - I got stuck in a loop where the launcher kept crashing then reloading itself (thank goodness I was able to put it back in place with adb).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got it working on mine too. The basic steps were

1) enable debug USB mode on your phone

2) install Samsung drivers for the phone - right now Samsung's site seems to not have a choice for the Sidekick 4G's model (SGH-T839), but I grabbed the drivers for the Vibrant (at www .samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SGH-T959ZKDTMB) and they worked.

3) get adb shell working on your PC (Google it)

4) download the rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and Superuser packages from the links in this page: wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=HTC_Hero_%28CDMA%29:_Full_Update_Guide (be sure to unzip the files into the directory where your adb.exe program is unless you've put it in your path)

5) reboot your phone and plug it in

6) adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

7) adb shell

8) cd /data/local/tmp

9) chmod 755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

10) ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

11) wait until you get booted back out to your DOS command prompt

12) adb kill-server

13) adb start-server

14) adb shell

15) you should now be at a # prompt. The first few times I tried, I wasn't - I was at $. Doing this from a fresh boot seemed to be the trick. Reboot your phone and try again if you're getting a $.

16) mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system

17) exit

21) adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/stl9 /system

22) exit

23) reboot the phone then run an app that requests root, such as Root Explorer, to verify

(p.s. sorry for having to mangle the URL's above, XDA won't let me include links since I haven't posted 8 times yet)
    That's cool! You used that one-click method? how did you get into recovery, with volume down-camera-power button, all at once? I just tried, and it seemed to kind of get caught in a loop and never get there. I'll have to try again...

I Hold vol up + Vol down while putting the battery in. Keep the Volume keys held then Hold power until the sidekick screen comes up then release all the keys. Seems to work almost all the time for me.

ALSO:The microphone key is enter in clockwork
    This is the partition info for the Fascinate:

Code:
    bml1 	256 KB 	contains boot.bin (262144 bytes), Primary Boot Loader (low-level hardware initialization)
    bml2 	256 KB 	contains PIT file first 512 bytes
    bml3 	10240 KB 	/dev/block/stl3 /efs
    bml4 	1280 KB 	contains Sbl.bin (1310720 bytes) Secondary Boot Loader (loads the Linux kernel and passes the necessary arguments)
    bml5 	1280 KB 	contains Secondary Boot Loader (for recovery, ect)
    bml6 	5120 KB 	param.lfs /mnt/.lfs j4fs
    bml7 	7680 KB 	contains zImage and initramfs
    bml8 	7680 KB 	empty - on Epic 4G and Fascinate, contains recovery.bin
    bml9 	293376 KB 	factoryfs.rfs ( /system RFS Partition) /dev/block/stl9
    bml10 	137216 KB 	dbdata.rfs ( /dbdata RFS Partition) /dev/block/stl10
    bml11 	35840 KB 	cache.rfs ( /cache RFS Partition) /dev/block/stl11
    bml12 	12800 KB 	modem.bin

mkdir /sdcard/dump/

dd if=/dev/block/bml1 of=/sdcard/dump/bml1.bin
    dd if=/dev/block/bml2 of=/sdcard/dump/bml2.bin
    dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/dump/bml3.bin
    dd if=/dev/block/bml4 of=/sdcard/dump/bml4.bin
    dd if=/dev/block/bml5 of=/sdcard/dump/bml5.bin
    dd if=/dev/block/bml6 of=/sdcard/dump/bml6.bin
    dd if=/dev/block/bml8 of=/sdcard/dump/bml8.bin
    dd if=/dev/block/bml7 of=/sdcard/dump/bml7
    dd if=/dev/block/bml12 of=/sdcard/dump/bml12.bin

tar cfz dump.tar.gz /sdcard/dump/

Upload it to medafire then I will mirror it at gitbrew.org

Edit:
    I have put together a small script that should root the sidekick automagically.
    I do not have a device to test on, hopefully we can get this tested and debugged quickly.

http://dev.gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/android/sidekick/autoroot-sidekickv0.1.rar

This will NOT harm your phone in any way.

1. Place folder on sdcard
    2. Using terminal emulator app chmod 755 /sdcard/autoroot/autoroot.sh
    3. ./sdcard/autoroot/autoroot.sh

If the sdcard is mounted as noexec, follow these steps:

1. Place folder on sdcard
    2. Using terminal emulator app - cp -R /sdcard/autoroot/ /data/local/tmp/
    3. chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/autoroot.sh
    3. ./data/local/tmp/autoroot.sh
    Do you have the android sdk or terminal app on your phone?
    a)On pc you can do adb and type that stuff while phone is conn thru usb/adb then you

b)on term app type that stuff to see(may not work on term app)

---------------
    For the person who asked a dump can be found here too

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=13057759#post13057759
    Ace42, yeah I can get around fine in the shell (bash in particular) so I can produce the requested dumps... but I am not familiar with the android fs and what is being requested to be copied here.

For example, are my personal settings included?

On the other hand, this sounds like a moot point since you referenced the other thread with links to the dump. If there is something missing there, or it would be helpful to have another dump, I'm happy to help.
    cat /proc/mtd >> mtd.txt - grabs partition info
    mount >> mount.txt - lists mounts on device, loopback, partition, etc
    ls /dev/ >> dev.txt - lists devices

cp /proc/config.gz /sdcard/config.gz - kernel config

based on partition info we pull the blocks bit for bit -
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p1.bin