[Q] OTA or kies update on rooted Note 3?

Search This thread

Dahdoul

Sep 7, 2013
What will happen if I update my rooted note3 through Kies or OTA? Is it safe?

I know that I could flash it through odin.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You can go to the phone settings > general > about device > software update and click on Update. It will tell you that your phone has been modified and will basically tell you to F.O. :D So to answer your question - no you can't use OTA any longer.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Nothin bad will happen, just try it yourself.

idanawi

Nov 19, 2013
You can go to the phone settings > general > about device > software update and click on Update. It will tell you that your phone has been modified and will basically tell you to F.O. :D So to answer your question - no you can't use OTA any longer.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Nothin bad will happen, just try it yourself.

you can set your status from modified to official using wanam xposed so you can ota,
but you will loose your root and got updated bootloader when you do ota.

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York

Thanks

If your status is Official via Wanam it'll download, however it will fail on the install

Did you try it before?
Thanks

Yes.

you can set your status from modified to official using wanam xposed so you can ota,

It fails on the install.

Reactions: Dahdoul

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa

Thanks

There was a topic about How to keep root and get OTA update. It is here.

Steps:

1. Open SuperSU settings, scroll down to the bottom, Enable Pro
2. Check Survival mode
3. Uncheck Enable Superuser
4. Install OTA update
5. After reboot, Enable Superuser
6. Disable Survival mode

Done

Be noted that you have to purchase Superuser Pro for this to work, and you have to reboot after upgrading to Pro.
Also if you have modified your ROM e.g deleted system apps or Verizon crap this method will fail unless you restore them.

Mikegrmn

Aug 24, 2013
Ok. I tried the OTA too, some time ago and after downloading it failed to install. My N3 is rooted and I thought I'd try anyway. But did anyone try to use kies? Some time ago I connected to kies and it told me that my phone wouldn't be supported. I think I installed another region. Yesterday I tried and it told me there was a new firmware although it's not 4.4.2 yet. So it would be interesting to know if it would install after download.

Some other thing: I have something like a mnt folder and one or two other folders like mnt_1. Just like if you update windows and don't do a clean install. How can I do a clean install on my phone once kitkat is released for DBT region?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

If your status is Official via Wanam it'll download, however it will fail on the install

Did you try it before?
    Thanks

Yes.

It fails on the install.

Thanks

There was a topic about How to keep root and get OTA update. It is here.

Steps:

1. Open SuperSU settings, scroll down to the bottom, Enable Pro
    2. Check Survival mode
    3. Uncheck Enable Superuser
    4. Install OTA update
    5. After reboot, Enable Superuser
    6. Disable Survival mode

Done

Be noted that you have to purchase Superuser Pro for this to work, and you have to reboot after upgrading to Pro.
    Also if you have modified your ROM e.g deleted system apps or Verizon crap this method will fail unless you restore them.
    Ok. I tried the OTA too, some time ago and after downloading it failed to install. My N3 is rooted and I thought I'd try anyway. But did anyone try to use kies? Some time ago I connected to kies and it told me that my phone wouldn't be supported. I think I installed another region. Yesterday I tried and it told me there was a new firmware although it's not 4.4.2 yet. So it would be interesting to know if it would install after download.

Some other thing: I have something like a mnt folder and one or two other folders like mnt_1. Just like if you update windows and don't do a clean install. How can I do a clean install on my phone once kitkat is released for DBT region?