Android 4.1 - TF700

Search This thread

Deusdies

May 24, 2010
Minneapolis, MN, USA
F*** ME!

I just got my infinity exchanged at BB for the Galaxy Note 10.1 because I wasn't really happy with the responsiveness of the TF700.

I guess I'll monitor these forums and see if the I/O problem has been fixed (which is the gripe for me, really don't know how Asus let this slide through). If it has, back to the Infinity I go :)

vhuynh13

Nov 6, 2011
I love my infinity... may I ask why you brought it back?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
F*** ME!

I just got my infinity exchanged at BB for the Galaxy Note 10.1 because I wasn't really happy with the responsiveness of the TF700.

I guess I'll monitor these forums and see if the I/O problem has been fixed (which is the gripe for me, really don't know how Asus let this slide through). If it has, back to the Infinity I go :)

I'm still under my 30day trial for my note 10.1. I hope users immediately post thoughts and usage of jellybean update. The note 10.1 is an excellent device. Bit if this JB update really improves the infinity pad overall, as far as software issues go, I will seriously consider exchanging. I still have my prime dock. Only thing that kept me away from getting infinity pad originally was reading all the same various software issues like alot of prime users had. I think I only have a week or so left of the 30day trial. Decisions, Decisions.

TheAnarchist1

Mar 14, 2010
Baltimore
I am not quite sure why people are having so many issues with I/O. I have a C7 model which has run relatively smoothly since day one, even stock. I have never had any lockups or 'ANR' popups, nor have I ever had to use any of the special tweak scripts or Browser2ram to improve performance. Trust me...I know what I/O issues are. I had the TF201 prior to owning this and it was BAD. My only gripe with the TF700 has been the choppiness of the UI, but 98% of that seems to be fixed by selecting a new launcher or shell. I have a wee-bit of light bleed, but unless I am in a completely dark room and on the boot screen I never even know it is there. I have also noticed a bit of bluetooth lag with my keyboard, though it could just be from my batteries not being changed.

I do begin to wonder how many folks are actually having genuine I/O issues...and how many folks are having user based issues....or even perhaps a reverse placebo effect. If you frequent these forums like myself daily, and continue to see so many negative threads and threads from neurotic folks holding their hardware in a totally unrealistic for day to day performance and daily use environment to see some faint flaw that no person in a million years would ever notice except for yourself...it can make a person begin to get paranoid about their own device. The issue is that the loudest majority is always the people with a perceived issue, and they each make a thread over it. The people who genuinely have issues need be sorted out and dealt with properly.

I am aware this post does not help much, if at all, but this device has been faithful to me since day one. I use it in school as my main device and out on the town.

I just figured I would chime in with a positive experience....and yes this is my first and only TF700!

:laugh:

SteveG12543

Recognized Contributor
I'm still under my 30day trial for my note 10.1. I hope users immediately post thoughts and usage of jellybean update. The note 10.1 is an excellent device. Bit if this JB update really improves the infinity pad overall, as far as software issues go, I will seriously consider exchanging. I still have my prime dock. Only thing that kept me away from getting infinity pad originally was reading all the same various software issues like alot of prime users had. I think I only have a week or so left of the 30day trial. Decisions, Decisions.

I'll send you a message after I've played around with JB for a little bit. I'm sure a bunch of people will post their experiences with the update too, but it's been forever since we were last able to discuss builds lol.

As far as issues go with my Infinity, well... I haven't noticed any major ones. It performs better than my Prime; barely any ANR's and it just feels smoother. No screen lifting. Barely any screen bleed (which is my only issue. I only notice it on slash and boot animation). Overall I'm very satisfied :) I haven't had a chance to play with the Note 10.1, so I can't comment on how it may perform in comparison though.

It'd be cool if Asus/Gary opened up the community based betas again though, I enjoyed testing for them. Maybe they will after the JB update?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app.

Reactions: demandarin

woodsonmh

Dec 2, 2010
Looks like tomorrow is the 201 and the 28th is the 700...

http://campuslife.asus.com/index/85...00-jelly-bean-update-10-4-2-15-release-notes/

Oh and back up your flash player if this link holds true. I know JB doesn't use flash, but according to this the update might take it out..

I'm not saying this is not correct, but what does campus life know that no one else knows?

Woody

I think I answered my own question. This appears to be Asus organization. I read one article when this first announced that indicated Asus was coming out with it's own version of flash. No article I've seen since mentions this.???
I probably miss read article and it may have referred to Java not flash. Sorry for any confusion.
Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

huy_lonewolf

Mar 5, 2012
Singapore
This is a really good news. I am looking forward to seeing Project Butter on my TF700. With ICS, my stock TF700 lags quite badly. My Sensation even running Sense 4 seems a lot faster than my TF700, even though it is just stock Android.

indie13

Jun 17, 2010
I am not quite sure why people are having so many issues with I/O. I have a C7 model which has run relatively smoothly since day one, even stock. I have never had any lockups or 'ANR' popups, nor have I ever had to use any of the special tweak scripts or Browser2ram to improve performance. Trust me...I know what I/O issues are. I had the TF201 prior to owning this and it was BAD. My only gripe with the TF700 has been the choppiness of the UI, but 98% of that seems to be fixed by selecting a new launcher or shell. I have a wee-bit of light bleed, but unless I am in a completely dark room and on the boot screen I never even know it is there. I have also noticed a bit of bluetooth lag with my keyboard, though it could just be from my batteries not being changed.

I do begin to wonder how many folks are actually having genuine I/O issues...and how many folks are having user based issues....or even perhaps a reverse placebo effect. If you frequent these forums like myself daily, and continue to see so many negative threads and threads from neurotic folks holding their hardware in a totally unrealistic for day to day performance and daily use environment to see some faint flaw that no person in a million years would ever notice except for yourself...it can make a person begin to get paranoid about their own device. The issue is that the loudest majority is always the people with a perceived issue, and they each make a thread over it. The people who genuinely have issues need be sorted out and dealt with properly.

I am aware this post does not help much, if at all, but this device has been faithful to me since day one. I use it in school as my main device and out on the town.

I just figured I would chime in with a positive experience....and yes this is my first and only TF700!

:laugh:

Dude you stole the words from my mind. Im totally the same, no issues with the 700. If people want to know what lag is go try a prime for a few days!!!!!

CandyAndy

Jul 29, 2009
Well we know when the OTA starts to download in the backgroud. The device starts to slow down, apps crashing and random reboots. Its the great I/O feature to show when some background downloading happening ;)

Same happened when had the .30 update coming. device was almost unusable for a while, then it rebooted by itself, when started back up got notification that update ready to install :D

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Well we know when the OTA starts to download in the backgroud. The device starts to slow down, apps crashing and random reboots. Its the great I/O feature to show when some background downloading happening ;)

Same happened when had the .30 update coming. device was almost unusable for a while, then it rebooted by itself, when started back up got notification that update ready to install :D
It sounds like your Infinity is especially bad, lol! No wonder you complain. Well hopefully this update will help.

Gary Key

Apr 28, 2011
www.asus.com
Release Update

North American Update - 9/27/2012
10.4.4.14.1 Release is held.

For those users in the US and Canada, the 10.4.4.16 Release should be available early next week. A couple of applications that were recently updated (Facebook 1.9.10 on 9/20 as one example) required a last minute firmware update for the keyboard to operate correctly in the "Comment" area with Android 4.1. Sorry about the slight delay but this fix needed to be implemented before release.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA

For those users in the US and Canada, the 10.4.4.16 Release should be available early next week. A couple of applications that were recently updated (Facebook 1.9.10 on 9/20 as one example) required a last minute firmware update for the keyboard to operate correctly in the "Comment" area with Android 4.1. Sorry about the slight delay but this fix needed to be implemented before release.
Hmmm. I'm not even going to update as I'm on a custom rom, but people here are so anxious to get this update, it seems cruel to put it off just so facebook users with keyboard docks can make comments. I think we expect there to be glitches with apps that haven't yet updated compatibility with Jelly Bean, but is it really necessary to delay the OTA for that?

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007

Why the TF201 update for JB was not held. :crying:

rambling1

Jan 22, 2010
Hmmm. I'm not even going to update as I'm on a custom rom, but people here are so anxious to get this update, it seems cruel to put it off just so facebook users with keyboard docks can make comments. I think we expect there to be glitches with apps that haven't yet updated compatibility with Jelly Bean, but is it really necessary to delay the OTA for that?

Why would they release this with a known bug in such a massively popular app, especially it would take just a short time to fix? It's funny, sometimes I think vendors will get flak no matter what they do.

Reactions: androidxen

humdrum2009

Account currently disabled
Oct 3, 2010
I'll wait for cm10 to become solid
They probably will dissect this update and use what's needed only

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

das0527

Mar 9, 2011

Thanks for the update, Gary. Hopefully most users will understand that fixing a few last-minute bugs before the rollout is preferable to having those issues rear their ugly heads afterwards.

timrock

Dec 10, 2010

then we will have 50 threads from facebook users who use their keyboards to comment, complaining that this update sucks.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Why would they release this with a known bug in such a massively popular app, especially it would take just a short time to fix? It's funny, sometimes I think vendors will get flak no matter what they do.
You are probably right, which is why it actually seems ill-advised to delay. Yes, FB is a major app, but there are going to be many incompatibilities at first until the app devs can make needed changes. It just seems like this community really needs this update at this time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Day,

Official Press Statement -

Dear Valued ASUS Customers,

We are pleased to announce that we will soon be rolling out a major software update for both the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity (TF700) and ASUS Transformer Pad Prime (TF201), which will bring Android™ 4.1, Jelly Bean to the devices. We always strive to deliver the latest updates for our customers – we hope you enjoy it.

Thank you for your continued support.

North American Update -
    For those users in the US and Canada, the 10.4.4.14.1 Release is held.

For those users in the US and Canada, the 10.4.4.16 Release should be available early next week. A couple of applications that were recently updated (Facebook 1.9.10 on 9/20 as one example) required a last minute firmware update for the keyboard to operate correctly in the "Comment" area with Android 4.1. Sorry about the delay but this fix needed to be implemented before release.

North American Update -
    The JB update will be rolling out today. I highly recommend doing a factory reset on ICS, reboot, load the JB update, shutdown, and then start. It will offer the best performance compared to a straight update to JB, especially if you have a lot of apps or custom software loaded. Yes, it is a pain but it makes a real difference in the operation of the unit. Also, if you have rooted the unit I would recommend going back to a stock ICS load before updating. If you are unlocked, the JB update will not be available OTA.

In regards to applications, we have run through the top 500 apps on Play and there are a few applications that might only run in portrait mode or might white screen (Bike Race Free). Google is working with the developers on JB updates now. Also, several Google Apps will recommend an update (updates post 9/20) and we suggest accepting these for best performance.
    OK guys.. i have tried to clean the last few pages, but i know there is more i have missed...

Let me just say this; i understand user's frustrations with build quality and other issues. This is not the place the vent them. But the flaming is a real issue.. this thread was filled with needless fighting, and I expect better of the community. You " productive members of this forum" should know better than this - believe me when i say that the next person who causes a fight will have more than just their post deleted...

Carry on.. if you have a comment to make that is ON TOPIC, make it.. otherwise, more on..
    Release Update

Why would you post just to ask someone why they posted..... um... hold a sec... seeing an infinite loop developing here...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

umm because both of the posts didnt really belong here.

1. The one giving the source that JB will be out in 72 hours, when that's exactly what the OP states, and also the OP is the source of the article he linked. Kinda redundant no?

2. The 2nd because it's totally off topic. What does updating superuser have anything to do with this topic?

and 3. because I'm a mod and I can post calling out someone who posted incorrectly or redundantly as it's my job to do so. :p
    WARNING: READ THIS NOW:
    When Asus released their official Jelly Bean 4.1 update for the TF300, recoveries and ROMs based on ICS kernels were unable to boot. (I believe that this may be due to Trusted Platform). Most likely we'll see a repeat of this problem on the TF700 and TF201. Do not panic. I'll update TWRP as soon as possible to use updated kernels. Most likely we won't get kernel source right away so that means that JB users will not be able to back up and restore boot until we get the new kernel source. If you mess around with your recovery on your TF700 after installing JB you may end up soft-bricking your tablet. If you have nvflash access you will be able to fix it, but without nvflash you may end up with a brick that can only be fixed by Asus. You have been warned.

P.S. Might be a good idea to add this to the original post.