S4 Randomly Shuts Off After Screen Locks??????

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 5098235

So I've been having this issue ever since I upgraded to kitkat. I'll be messing with my phone normally for all day and then once in awhile when I lock it and and go to pull it back out or unlock it, the phone is turn off. I know it shuts off because I have to hold the power button and all of a sudden the Samsung Galaxy S4 screen pops up like it usually does from boot up. This is really frustrating and I don't know why it keeps doing this. It's not usally a daily thing but I'll happen once every 3 to 4 days and sometimes happens twice a day. Has anyone else had this issue or know any suggestions how to fix it??????? Any help would be greatly appreciated! !!! My s4 is the Mk2 version btw.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 5098235

My S4 baseband version is the Mk2.

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
My S4 baseband version is the Mk2.

You're baseband version only represents the modem you're on. When people say they're "on MK2" or "on MDK" they mean the bootloader version. What method did you use to upgrade to 4.4? Are you on the leak, NC2 or the official update NC5?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

D

Deleted member 5098235

Official OTA Update

D

Deleted member 5098235

You're baseband version only represents the modem you're on. When people say they're "on MK2" or "on MDK" they mean the bootloader version. What method did you use to upgrade to 4.4? Are you on the leak, NC2 or the official update NC5?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Anyway I can fix.this issue? Still need help!!!:(((

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Anyway I can fix.this issue? Still need help!!!:(((

Were you rooted or anything, or completely stock when you took the OTA? If you were completely stock, then the baseband should've updated to NC5 as well, so something went wrong with your update. Can you screenshot your about phone screen?
I wonder, if the modem didn't update with your OTA, then something might've went wrong with the boot.img/kernel as well, which is the most common culprit with this type of issue.

I'm going to say try a factory reset first and if the issue persists then you will need to use Odin to flash a fresh NC5 tar image.

D

Deleted member 5098235

Were you rooted or anything, or completely stock when you took the OTA? If you were completely stock, then the baseband should've updated to NC5 as well, so something went wrong with your update. Can you screenshot your about phone screen?
I wonder, if the modem didn't update with your OTA, then something might've went wrong with the boot.img/kernel as well, which is the most common culprit with this type of issue.

I'm going to say try a factory reset first and if the issue persists then you will need to use Odin to flash a fresh NC5 tar image.
Well I didn't realize on either updated it my baseband version changed from MK2 to NC5. So yeah it did change along with the OTA update. But see I DID have my phone rooted like 2 weeks before the OTA and decided I didn't want root on my S4 so I uninstalled, eveything. From SuperSU. To busybox. So when I took the update no I was not at the time rooted. But I'm thinking some old root filed are still on my phone causing it to do this random power off thing. So I don't know really what to do yet besides factory reset:C

Last edited by a moderator:

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Well I didn't realize on either updated it my baseband version changed from MK2 to NC5. So yeah it did change along with the OTA update. But see I DID have my phone rooted like 2 weeks before the OTA and decided I didn't want root on my S4 so I uninstalled, eveything. From SuperSU. To busybox. So when I took the update no I was not at the time rooted. But I'm thinking some old root filed are still on my phone causing it to do this random power off thing. So I don't know really what to do yet besides factory reset:C

Yeah, unfortunately that seems like the only option. You might want to wait for someone else to chime in with an idea, but personally I don't care about the data on my phone so I would factory reset.

D

Deleted member 5098235

Yeah, unfortunately that seems like the only option. You might want to wait for someone else to chime in with an idea, but personally I don't care about the data on my phone so I would factory reset.

I'll give that a try. I didn't want to do that unless it.was absolutely the last choice I had. I'll see what it does after reseting it. Anyone have any other suggestions or have this hopping to them.as well?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Yea I'm with Josh in that I don't care about the data on my phone so when things like this pop up I can just either factory reset or use Odin. You can at least save all your important stuff to your PC or external sd first. Hard to say what's causing it really... If you were able to flash a new kernel I'd suggest that but that's not an option right now... Unless surge or someone can extract the 4.4 stock kernel to use with Odin.... Most likely Odin the full kit kat image though should definitely help worse case

Sent from my jflte using Tapatalk