[KERNEL][ROOT][STOCK] GT-P5100 / GT-P5110 compatible!!!

Search This thread

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Hey guys,

We were unable to run "adb root" and "adb remount" using the stock Kernel, so I modified it a bit to make it work. This package must be flashed using ODIN.

COMPATIBLE WITH ALL GT-P5100 / GT-P5110 MODELS RUNNING STOCK ROM!!!

=> STOCK ROM GT-P5100 / GT-P5110 / GT-P5113 MODELS (ALD7/ALD9)
=> Fry ROM (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1691194)

Flash at your own risk! Kernel changes are dangerous. You have been warned.
Flashing your tablet using ODIN will void your warranty! Flashing this kernel will increase the counter in your bootloader GUI.

The zip is attached to this post. How to use:

=====================================================
========== Flashing the stock rooted KERNEL ================

1. Save and extract the zip file to a folder.
2. Shut down your tab.
3. Disconnect tab from USB and/or power cables.
4. Hold "Power+Volume UP" physical buttons on your tablet to initiate download mode.
5. Press "Volume DOWN" physical button on your tablet to confirm and enter ODIN mode.
6. On your PC, open "Odin3 v1.85.exe"
7. Press "PDA" button in ODIN and select the "espresso-any-root-kernel.tar.md5" file.
8. Connect your tablet using a USB cable. In ODIN you should see the device "<added>" message appear. If you do not, there is a problem with the Samsung drivers installation.
9. Confirm that only the following options are checked in ODIN: "Auto Reboot", "F. Reset Time", "PDA". DO NOT CHECK RE-PARTITION!!! NEVER!!!
10. Click the big "Start" button and wait a few seconds. Flashing the boot.img (will appear KERNEL in ODIN) is super-fast, so it'll just take a second!
11. After kernel flash, the tablet will reset automatically.
12. Congratulations you are now running a rooted kernel on your tablet.

Happy flashing and enjoy your rooted kernel!
C.

Attachments

• espresso-any-root-kernel.tar.md5.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 11,436
Last edited:

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Stock Kernel for GT-P5113 ?

Hey guys,

We were unable to run "adb root" and "adb remount" using the stock Kernel, so I modified it a bit to make it work. This package must be flashed using ODIN.

ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH:

=> STOCK ROM (P5100XXALD6)

2. Shut down your tab.
4. Hold "Power+Volume UP" physical buttons on your tablet to initiate download mode.
5. Press "Volume DOWN" physical button on your tablet to confirm and enter ODIN mode.
7. Press "PDA" button in ODIN and select the "root-kernel.tar.md5" file.
8. Connect your tablet using a USB cable. In ODIN you should see the device "<added>" message appear. If you do not, there is a problem with the Samsung drivers installation.
9. Confirm that only the following options are checked in ODIN: "Auto Reboot", "F. Reset Time", "PDA". DO NOT CHECK RE-PARTITION!!! NEVER!!!
10. Click the big "Start" button and wait a few seconds. Flashing the boot.img is super-fast, so it'll just take a second!

C.

Will you be making a Stock Kernel for the GT-P5113 ?

Thanks,

Glenn

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Surely it will not work for WIFI-only devices. BUT! If you can unpack and repack a boot.img for that device, I can give you some pointers on what needs to be changed without a problem.

The problem was the "adbd" binary in the ramdisk. It needs a few hacks to get it working. Basically adb thinks it's running in secure mode even if ro.secure=0

Send a PM my way if you need help.

Last edited:

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
I've already rooted my 5110, does that mean I would be of little help?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
If you open up a command console and type "adb root" with your tab connected via usb does it work?
If not, then you can send me the boot.img

"adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

Also when I plug my tablet in my computer sees it as 5113. I just checked the s/n and sure enough mine is a 5113.

How do I get you the boot.img?

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Nevermind! Apparently all the Tab2 models are so similar that they're running the exact same kernel!!! They are just identical, I tell you!

I am currently running the P5110 Korean Tab kernel on a European 5100 and even HSDPA connectivity works fine. In any case, flash the Kernel with ODIN (PDA button) and let me know if you can "adb root" into your tab.

Get it from the first post.

Cheers,
C.

Reactions: kuronosan

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
Nevermind! Apparently all the Tab2 models are so similar that they're running the exact same kernel!!! They are just identical, I tell you!

I am currently running the P5110 Korean Tab kernel on a European 5100 and even HSDPA connectivity works fine. In any case, flash the Kernel with ODIN (PDA button) and let me know if you can "adb root" into your tab.

Cheers,
C.

"adbd is already running as root"

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Perfection!!!!!!
Thanks a lot for your help on this one. We need more testers right now, but suffice to say that this means a LOT!

It means almost all if not ALL hardware in our devices is identical. This means OMG!!! All ROMs for all versions of this tab will function cross-platform. This is why the recovery from the 7" version works (almost) with our tabs. This is why my Fry ROM works fine on the GT-P5110/GT-P5113 (with minor issues)!

All devs will probably unite for these devices and we'll get to many places really, really fast!!!

C.

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
Well if you need a tester, I'm game. I love my tablet to death but I'm all for advancing the software. I looked at the source and I wish I had time to pick it apart and get back into coding but I just don't. :p

Does that mean I can flash the BAMF kernel for the P3113?

Reactions: cheatman

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Don't rush into things. It's ok to get excited, but patience is a virtue!
Certainly, there are considerable differences between the 10.1" and 7" if only in terms of size.

But, considering I have a stock restore ROM for my model (and you don't, yet!) I will try getting my hands dirty with their builds and report back. Or maybe report to them, lol.

In any event, for the time being, I think it's best to play it safe. If you want to get your hands dirty (you can always flash back the kernel in the OP here), fire away and let us know :-D

Cheers,
C.

kuronosan

Nov 10, 2008
I've never been one to play it safe. My fascinate's been reflashed hundreds of times in Odin and my Nexus has fallen victim to "how many times are you restoring your ROM again" syndrome.

Needless to say, cast all to the wind and see how much I can help you guys as far as flashing kernels go and I'll let you know as it's booting right now.

edit:

Okay, here goes:

Flashing a 7" Kernel causes several issues:

Boot animation breaks.
Screen size is 7", double-imaged similar to the recovery image.
Touchscreen is unresponsive.
Rotation/accelerometer sensors are backwards.

Everything else is fine.

edit2: No brick, reflashing your kernel works 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheatman

cheatman

May 21, 2007
Migration Institute
Same finds as my own experience. Good to know that it boots though.
Seems like the screen as first would appear is the biggest problem after all.

Regardless, we now have a rooted kernel for all p51xx devices, which is perfect. I will try to make some more changes to it to allow it to perform better.

Thanks,
C.

martijn.vanpoorten

Apr 5, 2012
Lelystad
n00bsonubuntu.net
Well if you need to test stuff i'm also ready to test stuff. Am still a bit of a n00b on Android but got plenty of ubuntu knowledge and want to learn more about android. I know the basics of adb and know how to flash roms. I also cooked some stuff in the kitchen for my Galaxy S Plus (GT-I9001) which i completely tweaked to the max :)

Send from my Dell StudioXPS because i'm now on Windows (how lame!)

martijn.vanpoorten

Apr 5, 2012
Lelystad
n00bsonubuntu.net
I've never been one to play it safe. My fascinate's been reflashed hundreds of times in Odin and my Nexus has fallen victim to "how many times are you restoring your ROM again" syndrome.

Needless to say, cast all to the wind and see how much I can help you guys as far as flashing kernels go and I'll let you know as it's booting right now.

edit:

Okay, here goes:

Flashing a 7" Kernel causes several issues:

Boot animation breaks.
Screen size is 7", double-imaged similar to the recovery image.
Touchscreen is unresponsive.
Rotation/accelerometer sensors are backwards.

Everything else is fine.

edit2: No brick, reflashing your kernel works 100%.

How do you flash the kernel? On my phone i use the brood-rom configurator. I select the kernel, press the install button and it the new kernel is installed. Tried to install a new kernel using CWM but that didn't work either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

COMPATIBLE WITH ALL GT-P5100 / GT-P5110 MODELS RUNNING STOCK ROM!!!

=> STOCK ROM GT-P5100 / GT-P5110 / GT-P5113 MODELS (ALD7/ALD9)

Flashing your tablet using ODIN will void your warranty! Flashing this kernel will increase the counter in your bootloader GUI.

2. Shut down your tab.
    7. Press "PDA" button in ODIN and select the "espresso-any-root-kernel.tar.md5" file.
    10. Click the big "Start" button and wait a few seconds. Flashing the boot.img (will appear KERNEL in ODIN) is super-fast, so it'll just take a second!

C.
    Surely it will not work for WIFI-only devices. BUT! If you can unpack and repack a boot.img for that device, I can give you some pointers on what needs to be changed without a problem.

The problem was the "adbd" binary in the ramdisk. It needs a few hacks to get it working. Basically adb thinks it's running in secure mode even if ro.secure=0

Send a PM my way if you need help.
    If you open up a command console and type "adb root" with your tab connected via usb does it work?
    If not, then you can send me the boot.img

Cheers,
    C.
    Well if you need a tester, I'm game. I love my tablet to death but I'm all for advancing the software. I looked at the source and I wish I had time to pick it apart and get back into coding but I just don't. :p

Does that mean I can flash the BAMF kernel for the P3113?