[Q] Wi-Fi To 3G

Search This thread

D Twizzle

Oct 9, 2010
Hi,

Got a really annoying issue with my Nexus One that has been happening since the Froyo days, when I leave home to go to work I turn the Wi-Fi off on my phone to save battery. Sometimes I use the widget sometimes I go through the settings.

The problem is that the 3G doesn't alway's kick in, the only way for me to get 3G working is to turn my phone off and on which always works.

Any suggestions on why this is happening and how to resolve them? :confused:

I am running Stock Ginger Bread on my Nexus One on the the Vodafone network in the UK.

HighTech216

Nov 23, 2009
Ohio
Try checking your signal strength: *#*#4636#*#*

You can try to enable 3G only and see if you can keep a signal.

My signal is sometimes intermittent due to topography. Stupid flat Ohio. Haha

D Twizzle

Oct 9, 2010
Try checking your signal strength: *#*#4636#*#*

You can try to enable 3G only and see if you can keep a signal.

My signal is sometimes intermittent due to topography. Stupid flat Ohio. Haha

Thanks, it won't be that though because once I turn the phone off then back on it's there. Also once I turn W-Fi off and 3G doesn't kick in, then it won't do untill I restart. Also another reason why I know this isn't the case is because even when I do this at work 3G doesn't kick in and there is a Vodafone 3G mast on the roof :D

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
never seen this problem before, but it sounds like something that might have to be fixed by doing a full wipe and reflashing your ROM. i know its drastic, so maybe do a nand backup first. then flash and see if the problem remains. if its still there, than just go right back to your backup and no harm and nothing lost. worth a shot.

D Twizzle

Oct 9, 2010
never seen this problem before, but it sounds like something that might have to be fixed by doing a full wipe and reflashing your ROM. i know its drastic, so maybe do a nand backup first. then flash and see if the problem remains. if its still there, than just go right back to your backup and no harm and nothing lost. worth a shot.

I'm on a stock Nexus One unrooted so I shouldn't have to Root to fix an Android problem. Never Rooted before but considering it.

Kelvino9

Sep 16, 2006
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
OnePlus 8T
I got the exact same problem with Froyo and Gingerbread ROMs, can't remember if I had that issue with MIUI ROMs, but definitely with CyanogenMod ROMs.

Instead of rebooting the phone I suggest switching flight mode on/off it's faster than a full reboot ;)

Haven't found any real solution yet and always thought I'm teh only one with that problem as I couldn't find any other person with that issue. Right now I'm testing different Radio/ROM combination and if that doesn't work I'll need to check if any app is causing the problem.

Any chance you are using Tasker?

D Twizzle

Oct 9, 2010
I got the exact same problem with Froyo and Gingerbread ROMs, can't remember if I had that issue with MIUI ROMs, but definitely with CyanogenMod ROMs.

Instead of rebooting the phone I suggest switching flight mode on/off it's faster than a full reboot ;)

Haven't found any real solution yet and always thought I'm teh only one with that problem as I couldn't find any other person with that issue. Right now I'm testing different Radio/ROM combination and if that doesn't work I'll need to check if any app is causing the problem.

Any chance you are using Tasker?

I used to use Tasker but uninstalled it when I thought that it was causing this, it wasn't. Thanks for the tip about airplane mode, worked a treat.