How to port MIUI4 to the Samsung Epic 4G from the Samsung Fascinate

Search This thread

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
-Download the latest Cyanogenmod 9 for the Samsung Epic 4G and extract it to a folder called MIUI-port. Also extract a second copy to a folder named EPIC-CM-UNMODDED

-Download the latest MIUI for the Samsung Fascinate and keep it open in a file manager

-Delete the folders ‘/system/framework/’ and ‘/system/app/’ from your MIUI-port folder you made.

-Copy the folders ‘/system/framework/’, ‘/system/media/’ and ‘/system/app/’ from the Samsung Fascinate MIUI that you downloaded into your MIUI-port folder. If asked, overwrite.

-Copy the files ‘/system/lib/libandroid_runtime.so’, ‘/system/lib/liblbesec.so’, and ‘/system/lib/content-types.properties’ from the Samsung Fascinate MIUI into the MIUI-port rom.

-Copy the file ‘/system/xbin/invoke-as’ from the Samsung Fascinate MIUI into the MIUI-port rom.

-Copy the files ‘/system/etc/telocation.db’ and ‘/system/etc/yellowpage.db’ from the Samsung Fascinate MIUI into the MIUI-port rom.

-Replace ‘/META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script’ in MIUI-port with this one: http://goo.gl/9UhXR

-Open ‘/system/build.prop’ from MIUI-port in Notepad ++ and change the
Code:
following ro.build.id=MIUI
ro.build.display.id=MIUI
ro.build.version.incremental=2.x.x //version
ro.config.ringtone=MI.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=FadeIn.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=GoodMorning.ogg
ro.config.sms_received_sound=FadeIn.ogg
ro.config.sms_delivered_sound=MessageComplete.ogg

-De-compile the MIUI ‘/system/framework/android.policy.jar’ and open ‘\smali\com\android\internal\poli cy\impl\PhoneWindowManager.smali’ then try reversing the variables 0x* near ‘.line 1094’ and ‘.line 1096’. For example, make 0x1 0x0 and 0x0 0x1.

-In the same file, mess around with stuff using this as a reference to fix the software keyboard: http://goo.gl/9UhXR

-Recompile android.policy.jar and replace it with the one in ‘/system/framework/’ in MIUI-port

-De-compile /system/framework/framework.jar and copy all files from com->android->telephony->cdma->sms from CM9.

-De-compile /system/framework/framework.jar and copy all files from com->google->mms from CM9. Then swap the mms_config.xml located in /xml from the one found in CM9(I am going to be messing around with the MMS.)
Decompile /system/framework/framework.jar on both CM9 and MIUI. Then go into com\android\internal\telephony\cdma and swap CdmaDataConnectionTracker.smali from CM9 to MIUI.

-Next go to folder com\android\internal\os and find ZygoteInit.smali. Swap from CM9 to MIUI. **Still getting ZygoteInit errors.

-Zip up the MIUI-port folder and flash!! :)

You can find the latest guide and documentation here

Guide by Marcusant and Darkierawr.

Work by the Epic CM team, the CM team, the Fascinate MIUI team, the Chinese MIUI team, the MIUI.US team, the G2 MIUI team, and others. If I forgot you, please say!

hotwired34

Aug 27, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
-

Work by the Epic CM team, the CM team, the Fascinate MIUI team, the Chinese MIUI team, the MIUI.US team, the G2 MIUI team, and others. If I forgot you, please say!

I gotta tell you...It's amazing how you guys figure this s*!t out. My hat's off to you. Thank you for everything!

omair2005

Jul 26, 2007
excellent guide marc! Could this guide be used for porting the latest GB MIUI release?

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
If you install miui builder, you can pull out the updated zip.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Death259

Nov 15, 2010

That would work if anyone has an installer for it. I don't have a current working version, since I made loads of modifications to it which no longer makes a bootable rom.

Currently working on getting the MIUI Builder to work with V4 and also the guide to porting gingerbread MIUI.

Edit (1:36 AM CST): Ugh... quitting for the night, there's a lot involved in writing the guide. I have a chunk there, but there's crucial parts still missing. Time to relax and do some gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: omair2005

omair2005

Jul 26, 2007
That would work if anyone has an installer for it. I don't have a current working version, since I made loads of modifications to it which no longer makes a bootable rom.

Currently working on getting the MIUI Builder to work with V4 and also the guide to porting gingerbread MIUI.

Edit (1:36 AM CST): Ugh... quitting for the night, there's a lot involved in writing the guide. I have a chunk there, but there's crucial parts still missing. Time to relax and do some gaming.

The guide is looking good!

Death259

Nov 15, 2010
Alrighty... at this point it's "done." Since I didn't go through the process while doing the guide, it is likely that something might be missing or who knows what. It should be pretty much be there though, so just let me know if something doesn't work out.

omair2005

Jul 26, 2007
Alrighty... at this point it's "done." Since I didn't go through the process while doing the guide, it is likely that something might be missing or who knows what. It should be pretty much be there though, so just let me know if something doesn't work out.

I'll test the guide out today

omair2005

Jul 26, 2007
So I followed your guide to the T with the latest cm nightly but it didn't boot. I went back and started all over but instead of using cm, I just used epic GB miui build and got it booting! I built using the Fascinate 2.1.6, and everything is working.

I need help fixing the Verizon wireless on the Notif Bar..

Last edited:

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
So I followed your guide to the T with the latest cm nightly but it didn't boot. I went back and started all over but instead of using cm, I just used epic GB miui build and got it booting! I built using the Fascinate 2.1.6, and everything is working.

I need help fixing the Verizon wireless on the Notif Bar..

Copy eri.xml from framework-res.apk/res/xml from cm7 or an earlier epic miui build.

Just open the apk with your archiver as a zip

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Death259

Nov 15, 2010
Made all of the changes with the exception of modifying the android.policy.jar to the MIUI Builder. I'm currently running it and testing to make sure everything seems good to go. I'll put it out for you guys to test once I think it works as well as like.

Edit (3:35 AM CST): Quitting for the night. There's still a few number of things to work out, but they're all minor. Next chance I get, I should be able to fix most if not all of them.

Last edited:

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
Made all of the changes with the exception of modifying the android.policy.jar to the MIUI Builder. I'm currently running it and testing to make sure everything seems good to go. I'll put it out for you guys to test once I think it works as well as like.

Edit (3:35 AM CST): Quitting for the night. There's still a few number of things to work out, but they're all minor. Next chance I get, I should be able to fix most if not all of them.

Here is a diff of an easier and simpler fix. Same file. http://pastebin.com/MU2bPdJt

Reactions: Death259

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -Download the latest Cyanogenmod 9 for the Samsung Epic 4G and extract it to a folder called MIUI-port. Also extract a second copy to a folder named EPIC-CM-UNMODDED

-Download the latest MIUI for the Samsung Fascinate and keep it open in a file manager

-Delete the folders ‘/system/framework/’ and ‘/system/app/’ from your MIUI-port folder you made.

-Copy the folders ‘/system/framework/’, ‘/system/media/’ and ‘/system/app/’ from the Samsung Fascinate MIUI that you downloaded into your MIUI-port folder. If asked, overwrite.

-Copy the files ‘/system/lib/libandroid_runtime.so’, ‘/system/lib/liblbesec.so’, and ‘/system/lib/content-types.properties’ from the Samsung Fascinate MIUI into the MIUI-port rom.

-Copy the file ‘/system/xbin/invoke-as’ from the Samsung Fascinate MIUI into the MIUI-port rom.

-Copy the files ‘/system/etc/telocation.db’ and ‘/system/etc/yellowpage.db’ from the Samsung Fascinate MIUI into the MIUI-port rom.

-Replace ‘/META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script’ in MIUI-port with this one: http://goo.gl/9UhXR

-Open ‘/system/build.prop’ from MIUI-port in Notepad ++ and change the
    Code:
    following ro.build.id=MIUI
    ro.build.display.id=MIUI
    ro.build.version.incremental=2.x.x //version
    ro.config.ringtone=MI.ogg
    ro.config.notification_sound=FadeIn.ogg
    ro.config.alarm_alert=GoodMorning.ogg
    ro.config.sms_received_sound=FadeIn.ogg
    ro.config.sms_delivered_sound=MessageComplete.ogg

-De-compile the MIUI ‘/system/framework/android.policy.jar’ and open ‘\smali\com\android\internal\poli cy\impl\PhoneWindowManager.smali’ then try reversing the variables 0x* near ‘.line 1094’ and ‘.line 1096’. For example, make 0x1 0x0 and 0x0 0x1.

-In the same file, mess around with stuff using this as a reference to fix the software keyboard: http://goo.gl/9UhXR

-Recompile android.policy.jar and replace it with the one in ‘/system/framework/’ in MIUI-port

-De-compile /system/framework/framework.jar and copy all files from com->android->telephony->cdma->sms from CM9.

-De-compile /system/framework/framework.jar and copy all files from com->google->mms from CM9. Then swap the mms_config.xml located in /xml from the one found in CM9(I am going to be messing around with the MMS.)
    Decompile /system/framework/framework.jar on both CM9 and MIUI. Then go into com\android\internal\telephony\cdma and swap CdmaDataConnectionTracker.smali from CM9 to MIUI.

-Next go to folder com\android\internal\os and find ZygoteInit.smali. Swap from CM9 to MIUI. **Still getting ZygoteInit errors.

-Zip up the MIUI-port folder and flash!! :)

excellent guide marc! Could this guide be used for porting the latest GB MIUI release?

you can try. Ignore the Android.policy stuff for 2.3. I haven't tested this on 2.3.

Edit: also use cm7 instead of 9. If you need help, just pm me.

If you really want a guide for porting GB Miui, I can probably put one together.
    I think it needs to be updated, if you could re-write it that would be appreciated!

I'll see if i can update that for you.