[Guide] Root and CWM recovery new ICS.

Search This thread

asting

Sep 2, 2010
To start, you will need
Recovery-cmw-hercules.tar (doesn't have to be the latest, you can update it later). This can be found in other recovery threads, as the process remains the same.
Odin3 v1.85 (or any other compatible version)
root.zip found Here

Steps:
1) Make sure Kies is exited, and you have the drivers installed for Odin. If not, check the other threads as this has been covered many times
2) Just select your CWM recovery for PDA once you are in DL mode (which is achieved by holding down VOL Up and VOL Down when the phone is off as you plug in the cable). Select vol up to confirm dl mode.
3) In Odin, leave the default boxes (Auto reboot and F. Reset time), and then select PDA and choose the .tar file we found earlier. Make sure odin sees your phone properly and start this!
4) once you have CWM recovery installed copy the root.zip to your sd card, and boot into CWM recovery. Do a Nand Backup and then install root.zip and enjoy!
5) Delete that crappy bloat!

For those having connection issues in Odin, try the following.

1) Exit Kies
2) Change to a different USB port
3) Reinstall your USB drivers.

I kept getting an error, and the above fixed that.

Last edited:

Ahanix

Nov 2, 2009
Thanks a lot for posting this for everyone. Hopefully this will quell the 50 billion requests that could be handled by using search or google.

kwilsonjr

Apr 26, 2008
Not working for me. Get the following odin error:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Last edited:

nalaar

May 7, 2010
so it's the same process?

Yes but make sure you download the root.zip file OP posted a link to.
Once you're done with the odin part, having the recovery-cmw-hercules .tar all done.
You should see CWM rom manager in your app, you can click on it but cant really use it. because you don't have superuser permission, That why you need to copy the root.zip file to your sd card. Now get in to CW recovery by turning off the phone.
hold vol. up+down,and hit the power on button, scroll down and install the root zip.
then reboot. now you should have superuser permission and can now uninstall, or freeze all the junk with Titanium backup.

usernotfound

Dec 2, 2006
what do you mean 'leave the default boxes'?!? leave them checked? leave them unchecked? leave them alone? what? I'm assuming you mean leave the boxes alone (default).

Don't touch anything but the PDA button, select the .tar file, and click start.

For those worried about using the GB root process with the new ICS ROM, the Kies flashing does not put a new recovery on it. It's the same one that shipped with your phone. Therefor overwriting the the recovery with CWM 5.0.2.6 (via Odin) is the exact same. The root.zip flashed from VWM just installs su, busybox, and the superuser.apk into the OS, this has been done on many ICS roms already.

TL;DR: the process is identical, and confirmed working.

ResidentJack

Aug 21, 2011
Rooted! T989 with Stock ICS update!

Thank you So Much! It Worked!!! :) For all of you who are doing this:

You will first need to install Busy Box update before Titanium will work. It takes a few seconds (20 - 30secs) then you will see "Allow Super User..."

Thanks again :) Starting to delete Crap ware now!

Reactions: asting

ResidentJack

Aug 21, 2011
Damn... Stuck on "Goodbye"

Ok, so I rooted and it worked perfectly, only problem is I'm now getting stuck on "Goodbye" screen when shutting down, or when restarting. I have removed the battery for 2 minutes, wiped cache, wiped dalvik...

Still the same thing...

Anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: atlaseverest

kwilsonjr

Apr 26, 2008
Not working for me. Get the following odin error:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

OK. Don't know what the heck is going on. Closed and re-opened odin 5 times and tried each time. It finally took on the 5th try. weird.

<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/005> RES OK !!
<ID:0/005> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/005> Removed!!
<ID:0/007> Added!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To start, you will need
    Recovery-cmw-hercules.tar (doesn't have to be the latest, you can update it later). This can be found in other recovery threads, as the process remains the same.
    Odin3 v1.85 (or any other compatible version)
    root.zip found Here

Steps:
    1) Make sure Kies is exited, and you have the drivers installed for Odin. If not, check the other threads as this has been covered many times
    2) Just select your CWM recovery for PDA once you are in DL mode (which is achieved by holding down VOL Up and VOL Down when the phone is off as you plug in the cable). Select vol up to confirm dl mode.
    3) In Odin, leave the default boxes (Auto reboot and F. Reset time), and then select PDA and choose the .tar file we found earlier. Make sure odin sees your phone properly and start this!
    4) once you have CWM recovery installed copy the root.zip to your sd card, and boot into CWM recovery. Do a Nand Backup and then install root.zip and enjoy!
    5) Delete that crappy bloat!

For those having connection issues in Odin, try the following.

1) Exit Kies
    2) Change to a different USB port
    3) Reinstall your USB drivers.

I kept getting an error, and the above fixed that.
    Rooted! T989 with Stock ICS update!

Thank you So Much! It Worked!!! :) For all of you who are doing this:

You will first need to install Busy Box update before Titanium will work. It takes a few seconds (20 - 30secs) then you will see "Allow Super User..."

Thanks again :) Starting to delete Crap ware now!
    Damn... Stuck on "Goodbye"

Ok, so I rooted and it worked perfectly, only problem is I'm now getting stuck on "Goodbye" screen when shutting down, or when restarting. I have removed the battery for 2 minutes, wiped cache, wiped dalvik...

Still the same thing...

Anyone have any ideas?

it seems that many here don't know about the reboot hangs for ICS.

You guys cannot use the manual wiping of caches and dalvik cache... nor can you fix permission with ICS and cwm 5.0.2.7

TDJ has compiled a zip called the DARKSIDE cache wipe.

I attached it and I know TDJ normally doesn't approve of people sharing his stuff without permission but This is just the cache wipe so I'm sure he doesn't mind.

Just flash it in CWM like you would normally would anything else.
    Ty for this quick and easy root!!
    Now i just need to wait 9 more days for my s3