Which replacement screen (Sharp, sony acer)

Search This thread

and313

Nov 2, 2010
Google Pixel 5
ok so... the store broke my lcd while they were trying to remove the digitizer... and now i am looking at ebay on which lcd+touch assemlby to buy and i have a question. are the sony, acer and sharp lcd versions compatible with all one x mobos? i did some research and found that the sony version is the best (so they say)

okhughes

Sep 11, 2013
Adelaide
ok so... the store broke my lcd while they were trying to remove the digitizer... and now i am looking at ebay on which lcd+touch assemlby to buy and i have a question. are the sony, acer and sharp lcd versions compatible with all one x mobos? i did some research and found that the sony version is the best (so they say)

Hi,
The Sony and Sharp are not compatible with each other( I've tried to replace one with the other), I've never come across the Acer LCD in Australia so I'm not sure. If you don't know how to tell the Sharp and Sony apart, the Sharp has Green backing on the flex cable, while the Sony is sort of orange with a few yellowish stripeson the back of the LCD flex cable. Sorry I couldn't find any of my photos which show the difference. I would recommend buying the LCD/digitizer combo and a separate midframe to mount it on, as it comes with new 3M adhesive, but you may also have to add a few TINY drops of instant adhesive, I say tiny as too much will press out under the digitizer and will show up, but I have found that without it the digitizer will lift from the frame eventually due to the tight fit of the frame in the rear shell of the HOX.
Hope you go ok!

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Sorry, just a bit of additional info, have also come across posts saying the colours of the LCD look washed out with the wrong LCD.

Reactions: and313

and313

Nov 2, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Hi,
The Sony and Sharp are not compatible with each other( I've tried to replace one with the other), I've never come across the Acer LCD in Australia so I'm not sure. If you don't know how to tell the Sharp and Sony apart, the Sharp has Green backing on the flex cable, while the Sony is sort of orange with a few yellowish stripeson the back of the LCD flex cable. Sorry I couldn't find any of my photos which show the difference. I would recommend buying the LCD/digitizer combo and a separate midframe to mount it on, as it comes with new 3M adhesive, but you may also have to add a few TINY drops of instant adhesive, I say tiny as too much will press out under the digitizer and will show up, but I have found that without it the digitizer will lift from the frame eventually due to the tight fit of the frame in the rear shell of the HOX.
Hope you go ok!

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Sorry, just a bit of additional info, have also come across posts saying the colours of the LCD look washed out with the wrong LCD.
ok tnx for the info... and i was thinking i can just order whatever. i checked the panel_type in the last_kmsg and i found that i have the replacement screen for which nobody knows who makes it. but it is a warm panel so it probably is sony... but i have to rip it apart to be certain

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

okhughes

Sep 11, 2013
Adelaide
ok tnx for the info... and i was thinking i can just order whatever. i checked the panel_type in the last_kmsg and i found that i have the replacement screen for which nobody knows who makes it. but it is a warm panel so it probably is sony... but i have to rip it apart to be certain

That's the only downside - having to pull phone apart to check which one you have. Also another tip, phone need to be on to change LCD's, boot phone up with it apart, then wake up with power button on old screen, then sleep with power button, change screens then wake up again. There are plenty of vids on youtube to help, if new screen doesn't activate, check flex cable is in square and all the way - have had this problem before also.

Reactions: and313

and313

Nov 2, 2010
Google Pixel 5
That's the only downside - having to pull phone apart to check which one you have. Also another tip, phone need to be on to change LCD's, boot phone up with it apart, then wake up with power button on old screen, then sleep with power button, change screens then wake up again. There are plenty of vids on youtube to help, if new screen doesn't activate, check flex cable is in square and all the way - have had this problem before also.

tnx... you answered all i was wondering about :) really appreciated

edit: ok so i riped it apart again and its a sony. for anyone who is wondering what might happen if the wrong screen is attached to the mobo watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHdtgu4rbxI

and the store said: why you dont just buy the "original" for 40€.... god i hate such people

Last edited:

ldAbl

Oct 17, 2014

I replaced my screen, but I powered down when removing the screen, and putting the replacement in. Now neither will light up. How do you solve this?

okhughes

Sep 11, 2013
Adelaide
There are no guarantees with this, but try pulling the battery out for a minute or two. then with the original screen in, boot up and let it get to the lock screen wait for the screen to sleep then press power button to wake up then again to sleep. when the screen is sleeping try changing over the screens and then press power button to wake again. this is assuming that the screen displays on startup, but even if it doesn't try this process anyway. if it doesn't work, try doing with the new screen back to the old screen after pulling the battery. I have only ever come across this once, but it wasn't from powering down during a screen change, but pulling the battery seemed to fix it.

ldAbl

Oct 17, 2014
There are no guarantees with this, but try pulling the battery out for a minute or two. then with the original screen in, boot up and let it get to the lock screen wait for the screen to sleep then press power button to wake up then again to sleep. when the screen is sleeping try changing over the screens and then press power button to wake again. this is assuming that the screen displays on startup, but even if it doesn't try this process anyway. if it doesn't work, try doing with the new screen back to the old screen after pulling the battery. I have only ever come across this once, but it wasn't from powering down during a screen change, but pulling the battery seemed to fix it.

I tried that, didn't work. I think I know the problem now. after searching on multiple forums, I think it's the 220 coil. A lot of people have had a similar issue, and they say they've solved it by replacing the coil. What I want to know is, how I managed to short the coil in the span of a few minutes, despite having used the same screen as the cracked one.

okhughes

Sep 11, 2013
Adelaide
It is possible to do, although they can go for no reason, I recommend taking it somewhere to get coil replaced, it is a very fiddly job and you need to have a steady hand and the right tools (hot air gun) although my father managed to do one with a standard soldering iron, although it wasn't the best job. you risk damaging other components also if they blow off the mainboard (if you can find them), worst case scenario is the display ic has gone - that one will have to be done by a professional.

reggiexp

what a sh!t phone
we tried to repare it 2 years ago.
but failed.
so i just the pieces to gether wanted to see if i can fix it.
still not lcd just touchscreen (and now im not sure if i even have touchscreen lol maybe i broke that to now not sure
anyway sucks i have a brand new lcd touchscreen with frame we bought back then. and its even the right screen a green flex cable like the original one and still noting so i guess i broke the 220 chip thing how dont know. but not sure if i can replace it sucks it was a good phone
is there any help a easy fix? or do i really need to soldern that chip i cant sell the phone since there is personal data on it contacts and pictures (i guess dont remembrer)

okhughes

Sep 11, 2013
Adelaide
It may still be replaceable, if it's been sitting for 2 headed is the phone taking a charge? It needs to be on to change the screen. If it is charging and booting up, and the screen still won't work when being changed try doing a hard reset by holding the power and volume down button until it restarts - have had advice by someone who repairs phones for a living that this should reset what the phone is looking at for hardware and you should be able to do screen replacement. Failing that chances are it's going to be dead. Not much point in selling it these days as they aren't worth much these days. If the phone won't start the battery may be dead flat. The phone needs some voltage to run its charging firmware, you can try to get it charging by leaving on charge for 10 min or more, even if no charge light, then hold power/vol up/vol down at the same time to recalibrate the charge circuit, it may start to charge after this.
Let me know how it goes, I wouldn't spend too much time on it, unless it's now a project..

reggiexp

It may still be replaceable, if it's been sitting for 2 headed is the phone taking a charge? It needs to be on to change the screen. If it is charging and booting up, and the screen still won't work when being changed try doing a hard reset by holding the power and volume down button until it restarts - have had advice by someone who repairs phones for a living that this should reset what the phone is looking at for hardware and you should be able to do screen replacement. Failing that chances are it's going to be dead. Not much point in selling it these days as they aren't worth much these days. If the phone won't start the battery may be dead flat. The phone needs some voltage to run its charging firmware, you can try to get it charging by leaving on charge for 10 min or more, even if no charge light, then hold power/vol up/vol down at the same time to recalibrate the charge circuit, it may start to charge after this.
Let me know how it goes, I wouldn't spend too much time on it, unless it's now a project..

ow volum down? okay will try that. but i think i killed it lol cause the charging light wont come on anymore lol
it was just a idea that poped up in my head, that maybe i can save it so i friend can use it :) but i think i will just trow it away lol or something will give it a shot and see. will report back :)

nvm it's dead it wont even boot lol. i think i burned sometime lol that little cable that onder the battery thats conects the botem part with the other fliped out 2 time and 3time it smeled burned lol nvm

Last edited:

okhughes

Sep 11, 2013
Adelaide
Sounds like it may have shorted, a replacement is fairly cheap , just depends on how serious you are about spending money on it.
I forgot to mention that when calibrating charge circuit with power/vol up/vol down all held down at the same time, they need to be held down for at least 2 minutes.

reggiexp

Sounds like it may have shorted, a replacement is fairly cheap , just depends on how serious you are about spending money on it.
I forgot to mention that when calibrating charge circuit with power/vol up/vol down all held down at the same time, they need to be held down for at least 2 minutes.

nvm i think i fried the cpu or something lol it wont turn on anymore.
i trew it in the bin :)

okhughes

Sep 11, 2013
Adelaide
Probably the best result, it's probably cheaper to to buy a second hand one and also cause less aggravation when you can't work out why it won't work. You could always sell the replacement screen.

reggiexp

Probably the best result, it's probably cheaper to to buy a second hand one and also cause less aggravation when you can't work out why it won't work. You could always sell the replacement screen.

dont think i will sell it i mean who would buy it? lol but guess i could try for like 20euro or 10 lol.
and have 2 batteries for 10 or 5 euro lol
have 3 backcovers also 2 white and 1 black.
we bought every thing to repaire it but yeah.
could maybe sell some **** but pff dont knopw. (its my oncles old phone will ask him (maybe sell every thing exept de motherboard)

okhughes

Sep 11, 2013
Adelaide
That's what I'd do, try and sell it for parts minus the mainboard. If that doesn't work, put it away somewhere and if you come across a dead one cheap, swap the mainboards out (providing it has the same screen - that's a given). Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :good:

Reactions: reggiexp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi,
    Hope you go ok!

That's what I'd do, try and sell it for parts minus the mainboard. If that doesn't work, put it away somewhere and if you come across a dead one cheap, swap the mainboards out (providing it has the same screen - that's a given). Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :good: