Lapdock HDMI

Search This thread

phire420

Oct 3, 2008
This is gonna be amazing if I can get my hands on a raspberry_pi http://www.raspberrypi.org/ for $25 it'll turn my lapdock into a full laptop! the two devices sound ideal combined!

my thoughts exactly.. cant wait.

hdmi into hdmi micro adapter, usb to usb micro adapter, and raspberry pi usb power to dock usb connectors! perfect all in one setup. hell there might even be room to internalize the pi. that would be something!

Mgamerz

May 9, 2011
mgamerzproductions.com
my thoughts exactly.. cant wait.

hdmi into hdmi micro adapter, usb to usb micro adapter, and raspberry pi usb power to dock usb connectors! perfect all in one setup. hell there might even be room to internalize the pi. that would be something!

A 700mhz processor is not going to offer any performance benefits over the atrix, methinks.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk on AT&T, the company that disappoints me so much that I have to use my tapatalk signature to tell everyone

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
A 700mhz processor is not going to offer any performance benefits over the atrix, methinks.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G using Tapatalk on AT&T, the company that disappoints me so much that I have to use my tapatalk signature to tell everyone

False.
The makers of raspberry pi spent a whole lot of time optimizing the software for the broadcom soc inside of it. Apparently in some benchmarks it doubles the performance of tegra2. Ill try and link to a source when I get home.

mattaw2001

Feb 7, 2012
The raspberry pi uses the old arm 11 processor arch at 700MHz (vs dual 1.3GHz) and it isn't dual core. Nor does it have as much RAM (256 vs 1Gbyte) and its gfx unit is so so compared to the tegra. So while it might be faster at some tasks I doubt it can take on the atrix in most ways. However the pi looks very very cool. Looking forward to it.

Matt

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Mgamerz

May 9, 2011
mgamerzproductions.com
The raspberry pi uses the old arm 11 processor arch at 700MHz (vs dual 1.3GHz) and it isn't dual core. Nor does it have as much RAM (256 vs 1Gbyte) and its gfx unit is so so compared to the tegra. So while it might be faster at some tasks I doubt it can take on the atrix in most ways. However the pi looks very very cool. Looking forward to it.

Matt

Might still get the pi to dink with. Working in a microprocessors class now, might make use of it.

phire420

Oct 3, 2008
hey guys, just an update on the HDMI adapters necessary for this... looks like the guy in china finally got his head out of his ass and brought down the pricing (he had it listed @ $49.99!) of the adapter to $5.99! If anyone has another source for these, please share. This one particular seller is the only place i can find this damn thing, partly because of the mess o' results you get, even when searching for the correct terminology. Too many false positives, even with crafty google-fu .

I will buy a couple, one certainly as a backup because i can forsee these adapters getting worn out if needed to constantly plug and unplug while moving about and packing gear.

item number: 280761removethistext232832

system02

Jun 11, 2010
Hi,

as the Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC S and the upcoming Xperia S have a HDMI-Port, too: Will it be possible to use the Lapdock with some cables and the Xperia ARC S for Document editing and Webbrowsing??

Thanks

phire420

Oct 3, 2008
Hi, as the Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC S and the upcoming Xperia S have a HDMI-Port, too: Will it be possible to use the Lapdock with some cables and the Xperia ARC S for Document editing and Webbrowsing??
Thanks

I can be certain that video and audio output would work with the appropriate adapter (the one i mentioned above will be necessary for the lapdock side) and cable for your device's output type.
USB on the other hand may or may not work. It all depends on whether your device supports acting as a USB host, in order to work with the USB HID keyboard and mouse of the lapdock.

Find out and please let us know. And remember that the USB port pushes 5V over the red usb wire!

Last edited:

Mgamerz

May 9, 2011
mgamerzproductions.com
I can be certain that video and audio output would work with the appropriate adapter (the one i mentioned above will be necessary for the lapdock side) and cable for your device's output type.
USB on the other hand may or may not work. It all depends on whether your device supports acting as a USB host, in order to work with the USB HID keyboard and mouse of the lapdock.

Find out and please let us know. And remember that the USB port pushes 5V over the red usb wire!

Depends on what it does over hdmi. Mirroring maybe, but something like entertainment center wont be useful for document editing :p

sirkha

Dec 16, 2010
I hate to derail this thread, but can anybody confirm what happens when you attempt to use HDMI mirroring with the lapdock? More specifically, does the lapdock retain trackpad and keyboard functionality on the Atrix, even without webtop? It would also be helpful to mention if you are on a Blurred or CM -based ROM

I kind of want to get one of these since they're so cheap, but I would much rather use the phone itself without all that webtop crap getting in my way.

I am using a CM7 based rom, and it works pretty well with the lapdock, with HDMI mirroring. The resolution is a bit crappy, but the developers are working on it, so it will probably get better.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

I received the lapdock today, and flipped the connectors around for my Atrix 2 which was relatively easy.

Could you post some pictures with the connectors flipped around? Maybe even step by step instructions on how to do it?

shanghei

Oct 21, 2008
I am using a CM7 based rom, and it works pretty well with the lapdock, with HDMI mirroring. The resolution is a bit crappy, but the developers are working on it, so it will probably get better.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Could you post some pictures with the connectors flipped around? Maybe even step by step instructions on how to do it?

Just discovered today that the Atrix 2 will not power the 4g lapdock once the battery on the lapdock dies. So lame.

wizzard1

Mar 29, 2012
Thought I'd share this, long time lurker first time poster :)

I got myself a Lapdock 500, and I do plan on adding normal HDMI and USB connections for use with a SFF gaming rig, so I disassembled my unit and took these pictures- Enjoy!

Notes:
Looks like that HDMI/USB connection is a pain. The LCD and USB for the webcam share a standard connection type. There is one unused 8-pin header, maybe for another battery? There is PLENTY of room in that system for addons! Or maybe an internal 19v power pack... That's probobly going to be my goal.

hxxp://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8083/img20120329122609.jpg
hxxp://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1606/img20120329122518.jpg

Also, ungh: I have not made 8 posts yet.

antonymjoy

Nov 14, 2010
Hello, I bought a droid bionic lapdock on impulse from 1saleaday yesterday. I have a galaxy nexus and I understand I can use it as an hdmi monitor but I was googling around to see how I could connect the keyb/mouse and came across this:

mbed.org/users/chema/notebook/barcode-scanner-usb-hid-over-bluetooth/

If I understand correctly this can be used instead of the wt12 as well:
sparkfun.com/products/10823

Any comments on how easy/hard it would be?

Thanks

Last edited:

Mgamerz

May 9, 2011
mgamerzproductions.com
Hello, I bought a droid bionic lapdock on impulse from 1saleaday yesterday. I have a galaxy nexus and I understand I can use it as an hdmi monitor but I was googling around to see how I could connect the keyb/mouse and came across this:

mbed.org/users/chema/notebook/barcode-scanner-usb-hid-over-bluetooth/

If I understand correctly this can be used instead of the wt12 as well:
sparkfun.com/products/10823

Any comments on how easy/hard it would be?

Thanks

As long as its perfect USB and needs no additional drivers then it'll be easy. Otherwise...

jiggytom

Jun 18, 2007
Thought I'd share this, long time lurker first time poster :)

I got myself a Lapdock 500, and I do plan on adding normal HDMI and USB connections for use with a SFF gaming rig, so I disassembled my unit and took these pictures- Enjoy!

Notes:
Looks like that HDMI/USB connection is a pain. The LCD and USB for the webcam share a standard connection type. There is one unused 8-pin header, maybe for another battery? There is PLENTY of room in that system for addons! Or maybe an internal 19v power pack... That's probobly going to be my goal.

hxxp://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8083/img20120329122609.jpg
hxxp://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1606/img20120329122518.jpg

Also, ungh: I have not made 8 posts yet.
I got a usb ext and hdmi ext...and I am having issues with CM9 mirroring...it keeps going on/off on the lapdock and the keyboard/mouse is not working. Do you think its because of the USB extension cable I got..I don't know if its 5 pin or not.

jiggytom

Jun 18, 2007
Got a new USB wire, (5 wire) and I'm getting the same result. So if anyone if wondering, Lapdock 500 DOES NOT work with the Atrix 4G.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm that the lapdock does indeed work as a hdmi monitor and usb mouse / keyboard, I had some spare time and tried it out.

*update*
    I just spliced a USB A to a micro USB female, works great on my ps3. I just connected USB Rx Tx and ground, Don't bother connecting USB +5vdc red as it sends power up stream and may damage whatever your connecting it to.

here's a video of it in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8e6kuqeF0

I sent an email to sparkfun inquiring about a micro hdmi female breakout board and here's they're response:

Level 1 level1@sparkfun.com to me

show details 2:33 PM (1 hour ago)

Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your breakout board product suggestion. You bring up a great point about seeing this type of connection more and more. I will forward it on the appropriate people to see if this is something we can make and carry. Thank you again and have a great day!

Take care,
    Pamela

Hopefully we see something from this.
    It'd be awesome if you could post some pictures, such as a game console or camera :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8e6kuqeF0 go here, I just made a simple video demo'ing it working with my ps3.
    What kind of usb slicing is involved?

I just spliced a USB A to a micro USB female, works great on my ps3. I just connected USB Rx Tx and ground, Don't bother connecting USB +5vdc red as it sends power up stream and may damage whatever your connecting it to.
    The lapdock is pretty much a dummy usb kb/mouse & hdmi display. We're pointing out different things that could be done w/ it. Ie, a very small system on chip w/ usb ports & an hdmi out would allow the lapdock to be used as a cheap & light netbook-y unit w/o the phone plugged in.

But mainly, it's the fact that you can use the lapdock as an 11" hdmi monitor w/ audio for pretty much anything. :)

Well, actually the latest CM weekly has LS HDMI mirroring, so the idea was to get the lapdock to hold me over until the eight core convertible tablets (the form factor of the Transformer Prime) start coming out. So would anybody be so kind as to test this with Cyanogenmod, Neutrino, etc.?

Latest weekly has LS HDMI?! :D does it work well on a TV? If so, I would be glad to try. I'll even post a video if I get it working since I wrote the previously linked guide anyway (btw, thanks for linking it earlier youareme7)

Edit: I don't think my trick will work since it does not attempt to load Webtop. But maybe there is some other trickery. I'll nandroid backup my current Wet Dream (just set it up this morning too :( and give it a go anyway)