How to force EVDO only on TP2 without rebooting (SOLVED)

Search This thread

sysmai

Jun 29, 2008
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto G6
I appologize if this was asked before, but in all my searches I keep finding people wanting to force 1x over EVDO.

What I need is to force EVDO only without having to ##778# edit HDR only reboot every time. I need to do it some what like the TouchPro. At least without having to reboot every time.

My reasoning for needing this specific thing is in Lake Charles Sprint has been promising EV since before Hurricane Rita. They have been using that as an excuse as to why it is not available ever since. This is when I moved towards the forcing EVDO. I originally thought I was bouncing of a VW towers, but after talking to a buddy at sprint I find that all the EV towers are turned on, but not broadcasting the EV availabilty to peoples' phones.

Point being is since it is basically like a not broadcasted SSID on a router. When I was forcing EVDO on my TP I was using Sprints EV towers. So, I hope you can see my frustration with this specific situation.

Question:
Is there any way by regedit that is not the hidden modeofoperation (cause that don't work), or any freeware, something. That I can use to force EVDO only on my TP2 when I am using pure data connection without having to reboot the phone.

Note:
I am trying, if at all possible, to stay away from unlocking and flashing a custom rom. Not that I don't love everyone's work, but I get Flash Dance crazy and am always changing ROMs cause of a bug. This is the first Sprint factory ROM I have ever liked (slightly modified with addons of course).

Thank ya'll so much in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Solution (Work Around):
I am not a programmer or script writer. So, someone else is gonna have to do that part, but after about a week of aggrivated digging through my TP2 I found how to switch to EVDO Only without rebooting.

Open Registry Editor - Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\EPST - DWord entry PreferMode = 4 (Automatic) - Change Value to 10 (HDR Only) - Exit Registry editor - Disable and Enable Radio (I just go to comm manager and turn on/off Airplane Mode) - BAM EV Only without all the ##778# reboot junk

As far as I have searched, there has yet to be any solutions or workarounds for this CDMA EV Only that is kinda like the old Touch Pro way. Now if anyone cares please write a script or small macro that changes this registry entry from 4 to 10 and then disables and re-inits the phone radio. Then vice-versa. We can have a one button EV only swap for TP2 stock rom.

Hope this helps anyone else out there.

Last edited:

sysmai

Jun 29, 2008
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto G6
140 views and no replies. must be a tough one or i was too long winded. ill shorten it.

Need to force EVDO only without going through the whole ##778# reset.

Have tried old TP way of HiddenModeOperation and that 3G program which is nice but doesnt swap to EV

sysmai

Jun 29, 2008
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto G6
yes. Its the EV that I am attempting to get. Even though the program was supposed to switch to 3g I am assuming due to it not being broadcasted as available it is not doing a true force EVDO. I only say this because when I do ##778# and edit the modem to HDR only preferred. After reset I get the EV symbol and speeds. Any other way I have tried I do not.

Thank you for your response.

sysmai

Jun 29, 2008
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto G6
I have attempted a few differents styles of using WMLonglife, but at best it changes EPST settings from HDR only to CDMA only and Preferred HDR off.

With seeing that be done, by that software without a reboot. It makes me wonder if the author of the program could simply update it for our specific situation.

If WMLongLife can change the settings then there must be a way for us to do it.

sysmai

Jun 29, 2008
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto G6
Force EVDO scripts Tp2 Rhodium CDMA

here are some wannabe scripts. i wrote them on word mobile while driving a company truck. These are the first scripts i have ever written for win mobile. They work for me for now. I will combine them into one button with an if then type scenario.

Please these are very amature and just to help others out afraid to mess with the registry. Note: this is only for the touch pro 2 CDMA. any other device i cant tell u what it will do.

This has MortScript and rk-FltMode in the zip. which i can in no way take credit.

Attachments

• forceev.zip
    134.2 KB · Views: 165

shahriar5252

Aug 18, 2008
Los Angeles
here are some wannabe scripts. i wrote them on word mobile while driving a company truck. These are the first scripts i have ever written for win mobile. They work for me for now. I will combine them into one button with an if then type scenario.

Please these are very amature and just to help others out afraid to mess with the registry. Note: this is only for the touch pro 2 CDMA. any other device i cant tell u what it will do.

This has MortScript and rk-FltMode in the zip. which i can in no way take credit.

Your program has the ability to switch back and forth between EVDO only mode and Hybrid mode, but it does not have the ability to give 1X only mode, which is what everyone is looking for. If you can, please update your program to give 1X only mode.

By the way, on TP2 you can easily get data-only mode (which is like EVDO only mode but I think it also allows data over 1X too) by going to Phone/Menu/Options/CDMA Sevices tab/DDTM Mode and select ON.

sysmai

Jun 29, 2008
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto G6
if i ever get time ill combine these all with selections. easily done with mortscript but takes me a minute being a noob. but i can quickly change values out for a separate 1x script for now

sysmai

Jun 29, 2008
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto G6
ok this zip has CDMA Only included. There is a WCDMA Only option but i dont know if that is what u wanted. just let me know

Attachments

• ForceModes.zip
    134.4 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

shahriar5252

Aug 18, 2008
Los Angeles
ok this zip has CDMA Only included. There is a WCDMA Only option but i dont know if that is what u wanted. just let me know

Is there a way for you to also provide a key for 1X only mode over the home network (not roaming mode)? It would be great if you could also put all these keys into one menu in the form of an app.

Sorry never mind what I said above in my last post. Your mortscript for the CDMA only option is the 1X only mode over the home network. Thank you so much for sharing this program. It saves a lot of battery when users in EvDo fring areas want to use Sprint's Airave, which runs over 1X only mode, and don't want their phone from switching between EvDO hybrid and 1X only modes.

Is there any way for you to put this into a program that brings up a simple menu that automatically puts the phone into the airline mode, makes the switch, and turns the airline mode off? The way that it is now, I have to first put the phone into the airline mode using your airline toggle app and subsequently click on the mode of operation that I need and then turn the airline mode off. Too many clicks.

Once again thanks for the mortscript-based mode of operation toggle switches. I have been looking for such a program for my Sprint TP2 for a long time because the TP2's have had their native MS mode of operations menu completely removed from the registry.

Last edited:

shahriar5252

Aug 18, 2008
Los Angeles
Instruction and icons for sysmai's toggle switches

In the above post #11, sysmai has created mortscript-based toggle switches that can do for TP2 what the mode of operations menu does in the original TP. Install his two CAB files one to enable mortscript capability in your phone and the other to create a toggle switch for toggling on/off the airline mode.

Put all the toggle switches in your Start menu folder for conveniece, and if you want to give them distinct icons, use JWMDIconChanger_V2.7c program to do it. This program only works for wm6.5, and I am providing you with some .png icons I found online to use with this program. For some reason, my TP2 is not able to open these .png files but the JWMDIconChanger_v2.7c can open then and successfully make them icons in your start menu.

Instructions to change the mode of operation using sysmai's mortscripts:

1) First use the airline mode toggle switch to turn on airline mode.
2) Next, use the toggle switches to switch to your desired mode of operation (EVDO only, EVDO hybrid, and 1X only).
3) And finally, use the airline toggle switch to turn off the airline mode.

Note 1:
The Airline toggle that sysmai has created is not the same as your phones own airline mode feature. sysmai's airline toggle just turns your phone on and off. It does not turn off other things like bluetooth, so if you go for airline trips, please use your own phone's airline mode feature.

Note 2:
sysmai has named the EVDO hybrid mode as "Automatic" and the 1X only mode as "CDMA only" because these are the terms used in the EPST menu for which you need your MSL code to access. For those that don't know what EPST menu is, ignore it. Just use sysmai's mortscripts on your CDMA TP2's and you should be fine.

Note 3:
As usual, use at your own risk. I used my icons, sysmai's apps, and JWMDIconChanger app on my Sprint TP2 running on the latest stock ROM (wm6.5 with HTC Sense 2.5.2012) without any problems, and all his programs were fully removal on my TP2.

Last edited:

sysmai

Jun 29, 2008
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto G6
Final Zip with Choice of Force mode Cycle

Here is a finger friendly script that has all 3 of the others combined in a simple yes no cycle. Same zip as before with ForceChoice.mscr added.

Simply install (if you have not already) Mortscript and FltMode CABs
Put the script/scripts in an easy accessed place.

If you run ForceChoice it will ask you if you want to force each of the three modes. Yes of course forces it, and no will move you on to the next until you get through all 3 then exits.

I decided to go with the Yes/No cycle rather than a selection for easy "on-the-go" pressing without having to use a fingernail or stylus. Big fat yes or no..lol.

Hope it comes in as handy for yall as it does for me.

Again as stated above this is for HTC Touch Pro 2 CDMA w/ WinMo 6.5 only. Use at your own risk.

Thanks to the creators of Mortscript and rtk-FltMode. Without your great coding my simple scripts would just be txt files..lol.

Have Fun

Attachments

• ForceModes.zip
    134.6 KB · Views: 131

sysmai

Jun 29, 2008
Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge
Moto G6
new version forcechoice script

I noticed when forcing evdo with the other script that browsers tend not to init data connection automatically. This version attempts to init that connection. it is setup for sprints default. if connection isnt established it will loop until it does.

NOTE:
This is for Touch Pro 2 CDMA only.
The file is in txt format so any cdma users that can. Can change the connection name to their choice.

CHANGE .TXT TO .MSCR FOR SCRIPT TO WORK.
MUST HAVE ZIP IN MY PRIOR POST INSTALLED FOR THIS ONE TO WORK

Im learnin so hopefully i will be able to contribute more as needed.

Attachments

• ForceChoice.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 65

mwalt2

Feb 22, 2009
I noticed when forcing evdo with the other script that browsers tend not to init data connection automatically. This version attempts to init that connection. it is setup for sprints default. if connection isnt established it will loop until it does.

NOTE:
This is for Touch Pro 2 CDMA only.
The file is in txt format so any cdma users that can. Can change the connection name to their choice.

CHANGE .TXT TO .MSCR FOR SCRIPT TO WORK.
MUST HAVE ZIP IN MY PRIOR POST INSTALLED FOR THIS ONE TO WORK

Im learnin so hopefully i will be able to contribute more as needed.
Thanks.
10thanks

ski21

Apr 25, 2009
I know this is an old post, but just came acrossed it and wanted to say thanks. This is just what i was needed.

mmiller7

Nov 30, 2009
Thank you very much for figuring this out!

I don't want to keep beating a dead horse, but does anyone know what all the registry values represent?

From this thread, I gather 4=Automatic, 9=1x CDMA, 10=3G CDMA. I'd like to make a Mortscript with a easy drop-down that can select any possibility (GSM or CDMA) but I don't know how to figure out all the possible combinations. If somebody can help me figure that out, I can build and post the script.

Thanks,
Matt