Android stock SMS vs Samsung stock sms

Search This thread

nemo1966

Jan 28, 2015
HI, got the kitkat 4.4.2 on my 9195 4G LTE and the stock sms app has added some stupid contact icons next to every message you send or get. I know its a small thing but IT REALLY REALLY ANNOYS ME! Add that to the stupid txt and call alerts that appear on the lock screen... well I really wish it was on 4.1.2 like my old S3.

Well to combat the lock screen rubbish I rooted and used an Xposed module to disable the alerts.

Now the SMS app, does anyone know if the stock ANDROID sms app has the message icons? Or is this a samsung thing?

If the stock android hasn't got these message icons then can I remove the samsung version and install the android stock sms app? (If so where would i get it)

If not, does anyone know how to remo e the message icons? And I have tried other sms apps and don't care for them.

Thanks
Nemo

Last edited:

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
HI, got the kitkat 4.4.2 on my 9195 4G LTE and the stock sms app has added some stupid contact icons next to every message you send or get. I know its a small thing but IT REALLY REALLY ANNOYS ME! Add that to the stupid txt and call alerts that appear on the lock screen... well I really wish it was on 4.1.2 like my old S3.

Well to combat the lock screen rubbish I rooted and used an Xposed module to disable the alerts.

Now the SMS app, does anyone know if the stock ANDROID sms app has the message icons? Or is this a samsung thing?

If the stock android hasn't got these message icons then can I remove the samsung version and install the android stock sms app? (If so where would i get it)

If not, does anyone know how to remo e the message icons? And I have tried other sms apps and don't care for them.

Thanks
Nemo

At least on Cyanogenmod 10.1, the icons are there as well. I would bet dollars to donuts it is on the AOSP one too (as CM wouldn't have touched too much of this app form the AOSP original).

But I can fire up my AVD's and check out AOSP for you, even look as to what version the profile photos were added.