How to copy files to my SD card with file commander

Search This thread

take55

Oct 1, 2008
Hi,
apparently files can only be moved/copied onto the SD card by using the preinstalled file commander app. Should be easy, but I couldn't figure out yet, how to do it. If I long-click a file I can select it and click what I assume is the icon for copy in the top bar (see screenshot), but I don't know how to paste that file into another folder...

he9apumu.jpg

I'd appreciate any help! Miss ES explorer so much.

Gesendet von meinem SGP521 mit Tapatalk

QualQuek

Oct 22, 2012
Paris
Hi,
apparently files can only be moved/copied onto the SD card by using the preinstalled file commander app. Should be easy, but I couldn't figure out yet, how to do it. If I long-click a file I can select it and click what I assume is the icon for copy in the top bar (see screenshot), but I don't know how to paste that file into another folder...

he9apumu.jpg

I'd appreciate any help! Miss ES explorer so much.

Gesendet von meinem SGP521 mit Tapatalk

You can't copy files to SDCard (external) because write permissions has been revoked since the KK update, you need to be rooted and use sdfix app.

EonHawk

Mar 13, 2011
The icon you're looking for is the one that looks like a sheet of paper with a pencil on it. Click on that, then in the drop-down click "Paste".

Done it many many times already, shouldn't be a problem at all.

Reactions: hitrich and take55

QualQuek

Oct 22, 2012
Paris
Yes you can. That is why File Commander comes pre-installed. It has the needed write permissions, without needing to root.

No it's not, there is nothing to do with file commander because the permission is in plateform.xml and that allow or not, but you can't only allow an app, also the root access is not enough you need to fix the permission, even rooted if you haven't the proper write permission you won't to anything.

pmeinert

Nov 7, 2010
No it's not, there is nothing to do with file commander because the permission is in plateform.xml and that allow or not, but you can't only allow an app, also the root access is not enough you need to fix the permission, even rooted if you haven't the proper write permission you won't to anything.

Ok. Didn't know that. Mine was already rooted at the time and I just checked that File Manager was able to it, whatever I wanted, without having granted it root access in super user. Don't recall tampering with the platform.xml, but perhaps it was part of the rooting process or I flashed a zip which did it afterwards.

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

But this article seems to support my understanding:
"Any app that doesn't come pre-installed on your phone, either by Google, Samsung, or your carrier, will lack write privileges to the external SD card. "
http://gs4.wonderhowto.com/how-to/b...ns-android-4-4-kitkat-your-galaxy-s4-0152036/

Dom3000

Apr 17, 2013

Yes, it does. You dont have to be rooted to use file commander to write on external SD card

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

QualQuek

Oct 22, 2012
Paris
Yes, it does. You dont have to be rooted to use file commander to write on external SD card

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

There is something wrong with that, for having write permission access without changing the plateform.xml that means files commander would have system write permission and it's not the case because it's a 3rd app and Google intentionally revoked the write permission access to 3rd app on the SDCard.
So you said that File Commander has system permission? Never seen something like that even on the file commander website :eek:

pmeinert

Nov 7, 2010
You can't copy files to SDCard (external) because write permissions has been revoked since the KK update, you need to be rooted and use sdfix app.

There is something wrong with that, for having write permission access without changing the plateform.xml that means files commander would have system write permission and it's not the case because it's a 3rd app and Google intentionally revoked the write permission access to 3rd app on the SDCard.
So you said that File Commander has system permission? Never seen something like that even on the file commander website :eek:

It is installed by Sony and should be considered a first party app.:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/03/20/before-upgrading-to-kitkat-be-wary-of-sd-card-restrictions/

jismail

May 8, 2008
Is it somehow possible to install say ES explorer as a system app and the have full SD rights?

__nv__

Jul 18, 2009
I can confirm on a NON-root device that File Commander does allow you to write to the external SD card with copy/paste(paste option is under the 'edit/page with pencil' icon).

kbroh

Jul 1, 2014
Easy fix guys: Install NextApp SDfix.apk. It fixes the sd card privileges to allow all read write permissions for sdcard.

Sent from my Xperia Z2 Tablet Wifi using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The icon you're looking for is the one that looks like a sheet of paper with a pencil on it. Click on that, then in the drop-down click "Paste".

Done it many many times already, shouldn't be a problem at all.