Little trick when typing text (saves time!)

Upper Case Lower Case - What is the case?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Jiancarlo

Apr 27, 2012
Sydney
www.gadgetsovercoffee.com
I don't know when this feature was enabled, I'd like to think it was an 8.1 update, but i can't be sure.
i've searched this forum to see if anyone has pointed it out, apologies if they have but i couldn't see a thread or note on it...

So, typing a text or email on the phone. sometimes you go back and edit what you have written and some words had a capital letter and some need to have a capital letter after the edit.

Rather than backspacing or deleting the whole word, i've noticed that if you select the word, simply cycle through the 'auto-capitalisation' on or off or whole word capital by simply tapping the function key that would normally raise or lower the letter's case.

See pictures.
http://gadgetsovercoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/wp_ss_20140810_0001.jpg
http://gadgetsovercoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/wp_ss_20140810_0002.jpg
http://gadgetsovercoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/wp_ss_20140810_0003.jpg
http://gadgetsovercoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/wp_ss_20140810_0005.jpg

Tell me to go away if this is a **** find. LOL

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
... No, it definitely is not, @djamol. I tested it in both the messaging hub and in OneNote. Highlighting a word and tapping the Shift key does *not* alter the word on WP8.0 GDR 3.

Could be something language or region-specific, but I doubt that if they had such a feature since release it would *not* have been available for US or Canadian phones.

djamol

Jun 3, 2014
Pune
www.twitter.com
... No, it definitely is not, @djamol. I tested it in both the messaging hub and in OneNote. Highlighting a word and tapping the Shift key does *not* alter the word on WP8.0 GDR 3.

Could be something language or region-specific, but I doubt that if they had such a feature since release it would *not* have been available for US or Canadian phones.

My dear brother, it is works from 8.0 gdr1. *BUT* it was only for messaging hub and few support for some apps.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Realllly. Let's see:

Keyboard: English (United States)
None of the keyboard settings suggest anything like this feature; the closest I can see is "Caitalize the first letter of a sentence" and that one is enabled.

Phone language: English (United States)
Country/Region: United States
Regional format: United States (English)
Browser & search language: English (United States)

OS version: 8.0.10532.166
(This is 8.0 GDR3 + the pre-8.1 update)

The feature, as described (select a completed word, tap the Shift button to toggle the capitalization options) does not and never has worked on this phone. That includes in the Messaging hub, which was the first place I tested.

So... is it the language or region settings? Am I misunderstanding how the feature works, such as because "simply tapping the function key that would normally raise or lower the letter's case" doesn't actually mean "simply tapping the Shift key"? Is there some other explanation that I'm missing? Or are you wrong about what version this feature was first available in? Anybody *else* have any idea?

VSparxx

Oct 23, 2011
Realllly. Let's see:

Keyboard: English (United States)
None of the keyboard settings suggest anything like this feature; the closest I can see is "Caitalize the first letter of a sentence" and that one is enabled.

Phone language: English (United States)
Country/Region: United States
Regional format: United States (English)
Browser & search language: English (United States)

OS version: 8.0.10532.166
(This is 8.0 GDR3 + the pre-8.1 update)

The feature, as described (select a completed word, tap the Shift button to toggle the capitalization options) does not and never has worked on this phone. That includes in the Messaging hub, which was the first place I tested.

So... is it the language or region settings? Am I misunderstanding how the feature works, such as because "simply tapping the function key that would normally raise or lower the letter's case" doesn't actually mean "simply tapping the Shift key"? Is there some other explanation that I'm missing? Or are you wrong about what version this feature was first available in? Anybody *else* have any idea?

This feature is introduced with WP 8.1 , Djamol is just confused.

VSparxx

Oct 23, 2011
This wasn't present before 8.1 , I mean not all of this, some shortcuts were present but with 8.1 they definitely added more.

compu829

Nov 5, 2006
Looks like this showed up on my HTC 8x. It has Windows Phone 8.1 (Not Update 1). 8.10.12400.899

Top Liked Posts