Ubuntu for Tablets Anounced

Search This thread

Pungaa

Nov 30, 2007
Odense
Can´t wait for this to happen !

I´ve been using ubuntu for years on small netbooks and laptops, if they get it to work properly on our "tabs" then it would become a serious alternative to android ! :good:

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but this will probably never see the light of day on our tabs. We do have a Desktop Ubuntu ARM port, and a fully working Linux kernel for other OSes but even with everything in front of us, I doubt it will happen.

jonnyg1097

Oct 1, 2010
Toronto
I think the only way we could get it is if someone takes the source code and probably do some crazy mods to it to get it to it to make it work for our tabs.

I am quite the optimist so here's to hoping!

Nov 11, 2010
It all looks good and sounds nice, but I don't see it becoming big.
I think Android will evolve together with Chrome OS into a really good OS.
For sure I want to try out ubuntu on my 10.1 tablet, but it will never get a big userbase. (just my oppinion :)

Panos_dm

Jan 26, 2011
Looks pretty easy. I will do it today. Finally something interesting besides cm for tablets. Most ROMs are either cm clones or simply not tablet friendly, which is why I haven't worked on much here.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app

Best of luck! :)

Sent from my amazing 10.1 galaxy tab :)

GazaIan

Dec 27, 2010
Your basement
twitter.com
I think the only way we could get it is if someone takes the source code and probably do some crazy mods to it to get it to it to make it work for our tabs.

I am quite the optimist so here's to hoping!
Not really. If the device supports CM 10.1 (which it does), then it supports Ubuntu. Canonical even posted a full guide. Problem is, who's going to do it?

Edit: Okay, I guess we do have someone to do it. So there's hope :)

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
Sorry. I've been trying, but it hasn't been syncing. I'll try on my build server when i get a chance. Hopefully by this weekend, I will have a chance. Not sure why the sources won't download locally but my server should have no issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry it's taking a bit. Definitely will be done this weekend.

Hopefully this gets ported to tab 10.1... can't see it happening though.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda app-developers app

Finished syncing yesterday. Gotta do the mods and build when i get home.

Looks pretty easy. I will do it today. Finally something interesting besides cm for tablets. Most ROMs are either cm clones or simply not tablet friendly, which is why I haven't worked on much here.

Do you own the 3g tab? If that is the case, then,assuming that ubuntu is based on cm, 3g will be working, isn't that right?

I have the WiFi, but 3g won't work since ubuntu does not support 3g data yet.

Say, suppose we have an installable build. Will the flashing erase the whole sdcard, or just the system partitions (/system, /data etc)? I mean we have to bacup docs, movies, music and so on?

No, it will not. It will flash just like any other ROM. Right now, it is CM10.1 and ubuntu in a chroot shell. It will erase system. Data, you will have to erase (just like you do on most other ROMs). My PC is back. Thanks for the help. Will work on Ubuntu again today.