[Discussion] Z1 display lottery. Again.

Search This thread

MouseX

May 19, 2012
Shame to Sony, same old Sony being cheap and using about 4 panels for display:
JDI type 1 - AH-IPS (this was used for the ZU)
JDI type 2 - VA (Xperia Z/ZL leftovers)
Sharp - VA (Xperia Z/ZL leftovers)
Samsung - S-PLS (Will only be used after all the VA panels are used up)

Sony is using up the remaining inventory from Z/ZL and mixing in some AH-IPS panels. Once all the VA panels are used up Sony will only use AH-IPS and S-PLS panels.
This would explain why some prototypes and production units have outstanding displays and some are just like Z/ZL.

That's proof:
1) According to gsm-arena
Contrast 1513:1
Brightness 580 cd/m²
Black level 0.38 cd/m²
This is an IPS panel like on Xperia ZU.
Verdict: Much better screen quality.
2)According to hi-tech.mail.ru
Contrast 620:1
Brightness 488 cd/m²
Verdict: same poor panel as on Xperia Z.
3) According to ixbt.com
Contrast 600:1
Brightness 460 cd/m²
Verdict: poor screen.
Pixel arrangement 100% same as on Xperia Z.
px-100.jpg
sony-xperia-z.jpg

And pixel arrangement on ZU (IPS) for compare:
px.jpg

4) Thanks babylonbwoy for link - French site Les Numeriques tested the Z1 (lab test), they says that the panel is MVA Technology (according to them viewing angle will always be worst than IPS just du to this), and their test shows

Contrast 660:1
Brightness 500 cd/m²
DeltaE 5.5
Remance 13ms
Latence 109ms

XZ1 test http://www.lesnumeriques.com/telepho...6826/test.html
XZ test http://www.lesnumeriques.com/telepho...5135/test.html

So, don't buy first party or go to local store and try screen on hands.

Last edited:

ozgadgetguy

Sep 14, 2013
So, any way to tell aside from subjective viewing? Being new to Xperia I haven't seen the other screens.

jos_031

Feb 21, 2011
London

Sony is using up the remaining inventory from Z/ZL and mixing in some AH-IPS panels. Once all the VA panels are used up Sony will only use AH-IPS and S-PLS panels.
This would explain why some prototypes and production units have outstanding displays and some are just like Z/ZL.

That's proof:
Brightness 580 cd/m²
Black level 0.38 cd/m²
Brightness 488 cd/m²
3) According to ixbt.com
Brightness 460 cd/m²
px-100.jpg
sony-xperia-z.jpg

px.jpg

Retail unit comes with good display

lee480

Jun 24, 2012
The one who started spreading that the Z1 uses the leftovers panels from the Z and ZL is total bull****.
I can confirm no such thing occurred.
Practically, if you think about it, how Triluminos works is by emitting a blue LED light into this quantum dots of reds and greens.
Conventional LCD screens like the one that canes with the Z have its white LED shine past the RGB panel.
So if that donkey "source" is correct, Sony have to tear open the leftovers, modify the existing panel for it to be compatible for the blue LED.
It's simply not practical, or perhaps, pure stupidity.

Sent from my LT28h using xda app-developers app

m3dd0g

Jul 11, 2011
NRW
I have both devices XZU and XZ1 both have the same displays. And my Z1 is the first one available.

Reactions: Sina King

MouseX

May 19, 2012
The one who started spreading that the Z1 uses the leftovers panels from the Z and ZL is total bull****.
Practically, if you think about it, how Triluminos works is by emitting a blue LED light into this quantum dots of reds and greens.
Conventional LCD screens like the one that canes with the Z have its white LED shine past the RGB panel.
So if that donkey "source" is correct, Sony have to tear open the leftovers, modify the existing panel for it to be compatible for the blue LED.

2 tests from 3 confirmed old VA panel. Even pixel arrangement is the same.
I have both devices XZU and XZ1 both have the same displays. And my Z1 is the first one available.
Lucky!

Last edited:

matheus_sc

Mar 27, 2011
Barretos-SP
in first post there an error, xperia z ultra is not ips display, is TFT, z1 too, for me only gsm arena can be trust of these tree.

Junpher

May 14, 2011
Last edited:

MouseX

May 19, 2012
Whose tests? I don't buy this ****! Hell, I've seen both phones and the Z1's display is way better! Also better viewing angles!!! Just shut up and stop spreading this trolling nonsenical story!
Don't tell me what to do then I will not say where you should go.
As I wrote in first post: "This would explain why some prototypes and production units have outstanding displays and some are just like Z/ZL."

Tests by you? How reliable are you?
Tests from first post.

in first post there an error, xperia z ultra is not ips display, is TFT, z1 too, for me only gsm arena can be trust of these tree.
No, it has standard IPS pixel arrangement.

Morlock O

Apr 11, 2013
China retailed version of XZ1 reviews:

Unboxing: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4NDUzNDA4.html
Screen: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA5MDU2NTIw.html (from 8:15, clearly showed that the screen is god damn TFT!!!)
Camera: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA5NDEzMjUy.html

Not sure if the videos available to you guys outside of China.

I don't think anyone is saying that it is not TFT...

As for me, as long as it looks good and feels good I will buy it, don't care if its TFT, or OLED... btw IPS is also a type of TFT LCD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has almost every newly released smartphone trope ever. A small sampling:

- early batches are problematic
    - new phone not better than old model
    - lucky version numbers vs unlucky version numbers
    - its only a calibration issue guys
    - no you're wrong they're using mva/va/ips/ah-ips/tn/tft/tbh/wtf/etc
    - firmware updates will surely save us
    - even MY WIFE thinks X is better
    - CONFIRMED, IT'S ALL CONFIRMED. LOOK AT THESE CONFIRMATIONS.
    - subpixel arrangement is truth, get your USB microscopes people
    - please close this thread it sucks
    - dude what did you just say to me? I'm from POLAND
    - my device is perfect and spectacular, sux2bu
    - looks like im waiting for the next model [one year away form now]
    - people photos of "the issue" with a wide range of competitor devices, in varying image/video compression, being viewed on infinitely diverse display and lighting conditions
    - when is Brazil getting [this lustworthy hardware at less than 3 times its average market price]

I really wanted the Z and I've passed on almost every phone since the Nexus S for various hardware "flaws". The Z came closest to being the perfect phone and yet I passed on that because of the display and mediocre battery. This phone was supposed to improve on both and you'd think xda would be an authoritative source on the nitty gritty if there were some sort of lottery in place, but I feel like I got stupider reading this thread.

I'm just gonna buy the damn thing. :V
    Xperia Z/ZL don't use VA panels

Hello everyone, I've been reading this thread since yesterday and have seen some very incorrect info (I mean no disrespect to anyone, just wanna correct the wrong info) I was hoping some existing member would correct it, but since that hasn't happened, I decided to share this info myself. Hence my first post.
    The factually incorrect info :
    1) "Z/ZL have VA panels, Sony used different panels for Japanese/developer/European Z/ZL"
    This is incorrect, first off, Sony used e-IPS panels in ALL models, yes some screens were made by Sharp, and some by JDI, but there was no perceivable quality difference. Even the highly praised Docomo model screens were Sharp-made. Proof : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155145

2) "Sony used lottery system for Z/ZL"
    This is also incorrect, the only difference b/w the Z/ZL european and japanese screens was software based (White Balance, using a grey dock, basically things that Sony reverted to be like the japanese Z/ZL, that's why so many people thought that viewing angles, and overall screen quality improved with the updates that gave White Balance control and changed the dock background to black. Proof :
    http://cdn.gsmarena.com/pics/13/03/xperia-z-screen-comparison/gsmarena_001.jpg

Just look at the image, and carefully observe that the most striking difference in viewing angles is in the dock area, this is because the european version originally used the greyish dock, which was then changed to black by an update. Also there is slight difference in white balance, but Sony fixed that too.

Sony however did use both Sharp and JDI made e-IPS panels.

Now moving onto the Z1, Sony can't use completely finished Z/ZL panels since they don't have triluminos backlight. What is possible is that Sony used e-IPS again at least in pre-production/prototype Z1s with triluminos backlight, which would explain the stark differences between screen quality of Z1 reviews that are about a week old, and the newer reviews which all say that the Z1's display is the bee's knees.

Now what we don't know is if indeed Sony has decided to use a mixture of e-IPS, AH-IPS and S-PLS (I really doubt S-PLS since Sony has pretty much never went to Samsung for its LCDs, it stopped using SLCD tech after it sold its share to Samsung altogether), if that is the case then we'll see plenty more reports of screen discrepancies beyond the yellow hue (which I hope for the sake of all the new owners - Congratulations on your new phone btw, I hope that you enjoy it a lot - is similar to the glue issue on the iphone 4, and not the dreaded yellow screen issue of the Xperia S).

There is, however, one way to definitively see if the screen is e-IPS or AH-IPS, and that is (wait for it) a USB microscope, preferably one that has 200+x magnification. e-IPS has the same subpixel structure as the Z, whereas AH-IPS has the same subpixel structure as the Z Ultra. If at all possible, I would urge the new owners of the Z1 to put their screens under a USB Microscope and see which screen they have, USB microscopes with 200+x magnifications go for about $80-100 on amazon.
    I know it is a bit outlandish to suggest this, but it will provide definite results i.e. if Sony has indeed used a display lottery with the Z1, then the different subpixel layout will easily give it away.

Also, check out this new eprice comparison with Note 3:

http://www.eprice.com.tw/mobile/talk/4551/4881355/1/rv/sony-xperia-z1-i1-Honami-review/

That's proof:
    Brightness 580 cd/m²
    Black level 0.38 cd/m²
    Brightness 488 cd/m²
    3) According to ixbt.com
    Brightness 460 cd/m²
    px-100.jpg
    sony-xperia-z.jpg

px.jpg

4) Thanks babylonbwoy for link - French site Les Numeriques tested the Z1 (lab test), they says that the panel is MVA Technology (according to them viewing angle will always be worst than IPS just du to this), and their test shows

Contrast 660:1
    Brightness 500 cd/m²
    DeltaE 5.5
    Remance 13ms
    Latence 109ms

XZ1 test http://www.lesnumeriques.com/telepho...6826/test.html
    XZ test http://www.lesnumeriques.com/telepho...5135/test.html

Guys, just to be clear... Triluminous isn't a type of screen... It's Sony's brand name for quantam dot backlighting, which is a fairly new technology used in place of traditional white led backlighting.

As far as I'm aware, It could be used with a TN panel, an IPS panel, VA, Super PLS... Etc. All of which are TFT lcds.

A lot of people seem to be arguing and comparing the wrong things so it's important to get the facts right. I hope all of the retail models ship with IPS or super PLS screens.