When the heck is plex opening up casting

Search This thread

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
The Plex employees in their forums won't speculate, but they definitely aren't implying that it's soon. The more experienced long-term Plex users seem to be suggesting to expect around 6 months based on past experience. But for all we know it could be tomorrow, and they're just doing a really good job of keeping it quiet.

Last edited:

third son

May 1, 2011
Kzoo
The Plex employees in their forums won't speculate, but they definitely aren't implying that it's soon. The more experienced long-term Plex users seem to be suggesting to expect around 6 months based on past experience. But for all we know it could be tomorrow, and they're just doing a really good job of keeping it quiet.

Thanks for the replies.... I haven't kept current with the forums and was a bit curious....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
You could always become a monthly member for 3.99 until it's opened to everyone.

Truth is the Plex Pass fee is really only required for the Plex Player apps...

The Server is free! And truth is the Server is the most important part of that system because it works with any DLNA/UPnP player.
Right now aVia is the only player other than Plex that can play to CCast.

But it won't be the only one for long....

So it makes a ton of sense to be running a Plex Server (or any transcoding DLNA server for that matter) despite the fact you won't get all the features of it until a better player app that supports DLNA and CCast fully (With transcoding) comes along.

betizad

Nov 7, 2009
I'm using the Plex for android and stream media to my CC without any problem for about a week or so. It worked after they made an update recently. you just need to buy the app which is about 5 bucks.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I'm using the Plex for android and stream media to my CC without any problem for about a week or so. It worked after they made an update recently. you just need to buy the app which is about 5 bucks.

No just buying the app isn't enough...
CCast support requires PlexPass account. You can run the app and stream to your device but the CCast streaming shouldn't not work unless you have a PlexPass subscription.

I will note someone had a link to a developer version of the Plex App that bypassed this requirement but I wouldn't trust it...

shelby04861

Aug 28, 2011
I have had Plex for some time now and they are right, it is a anyone's guess when the support opens for casting. The developer version works just fine in my opinion as well. Avia does most of what I want anyway so if you want to put your money in the right place now, get the avia app honestly.

Reactions: VanillaG0rilla

third son

May 1, 2011
Kzoo
Exactly what I did. It's only 3.99 people !

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

It's not the cost... I purchased the plex app. That is what is needed for my use. I have also purchased the a avia app as well. I don't want to pay four bucks a month for a service that I rarely use. Four kids in college and all that.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
It's not the cost... I purchased the plex app. That is what is needed for my use. I have also purchased the a avia app as well. I don't want to pay four bucks a month for a service that I rarely use. Four kids in college and all that.

Quite Understandable....I'm not even sure you can buy just one month as I thought the Sub Options were a Year and Lifetime.

I understand why CCast support is PlexPass only at this point. If you're a regular visitor to the Plex Forums you would see a myriad of issues being reported regarding the transcoding and specifically surround Audio. This is on top of the usual problems we talk about here such as loss of control, Network, Router and Connection issues.

Right now the PlexPass users are sort of acting as the Beta Testers for this since they are the most familiar with Plex and it's workings.

To open it up to the Public right now would probably overwhelm the support forum rehashing the Bugs they already know about and add the reports of things that are not broken just because the user didn't know there is a setting in Plex set wrong they didn't know exists.

I would guess that when the Transcoder is running perfectly you might see CCast support go Public.
But they may also wait until they finish their Music and Picture support which at this point does not exist at all.

aVia does work provided your library doesn't need transcoding but if you do then it might be worth paying for the PlexPass at least until they release it publicly.

Plex right now is the only system that works exactly as Google intended it to when they developed the CCast.
Mobile App tells the CCast to load a player app and play a stream direct from a server without needing the device that launched it once it starts.
Plex is the only system that transcodes local files for playback as RealPlayer requires you to upload to their cloud to get a transcoded stream back.

Perhaps the announcement about the 10 Apps with CCast support being added was a bit of stretching the truth for Christmas Shopping Marketing Purposes...
Cause lets be honest none of the options for Local Content are perfected or issue free. aVia has had at least 10 Updates since the announcement maybe even more....
Most of the work on the Plex side has been done to the server side because I haven't seen any updates to the Android apps itself, certainly not as many as the aVia Player has....

All the Local playback App options do the job better than CCast did before they were released...

But thats about all you can really say about them. They are all still learning how to crawl at this point and none are what I would call a perfected and Mature option that does everything we expect they should yet.

It's going to take time...What CCast does it much more complicated than what Miracast, Roku and Airplay do.

Reactions: sp33d86

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    why dont you email them and ask, then come and post it here so everyone knows.
    I wouldn't expect them to make it public until they have all the bugs worked out.
    Most notably the issues with the transcoder.
    And even then they might wait until Music and Picture support is implemented.
    why dont you email them and ask, then come and post it here so everyone knows.

Sometimes folks here have information others are not privvy to. But thanks for that helpful reply.

I have had Plex for some time now and they are right, it is a anyone's guess when the support opens for casting. The developer version works just fine in my opinion as well. Avia does most of what I want anyway so if you want to put your money in the right place now, get the avia app honestly.