[Q] What's next? Life after the Captivate...

Search This thread

bobbylx

Sep 12, 2009
Holly Springs, NC
Had my Captivate since a week or so after release. Can't say that I love ATT, but had them a long time now and get a nice corporate discount. Also, one of the main reasons I stick with ATT is the fact that they use SIM cards, I like to be able to swap phones any time I like.

As for upgrades, I'm due in June so hopefully there will be something new and flashy out around that time, but I'm not in any rush.

aeodan

Dec 24, 2011
I honestly love my Captivate too much to give it up.
I've had it since release and haven't had a problem with it outside the speaker problem that was easy to fix. I don't plan on moving for another year or so <3

I had an iPhone 3GS for a couple years (begrudgingly..) after HTC tilt/tilt2... but missed y'all on xda so bought a captivate after my wife got a 4s for Christmas and I thought it wasn't worth an upgrade. Then comparing the 3gs to the cappy - it was easy to ditch the 3gs and go android. Love the meat to bun ratio on that beautiful screen. I've never been in a contract, but will probably give the S3 a good look when it comes out - or the sony. Just as a side note - I bought my wife the apple care plan when I got her phone - is there anything similar with the android phones on ATT? The ATT plan didn't look like a good deal compared to apple care. Squaretrade looked like it had a lot of positive reviews online.

jgr208

Oct 20, 2010
I might get the atrix 2. Since I don't like to fool around with my phone too much and want one with a car dock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

rquiett

Jan 25, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
I had an iPhone 3GS for a couple years (begrudgingly..) after HTC tilt/tilt2... but missed y'all on xda so bought a captivate after my wife got a 4s for Christmas and I thought it wasn't worth an upgrade. Then comparing the 3gs to the cappy - it was easy to ditch the 3gs and go android. Love the meat to bun ratio on that beautiful screen. I've never been in a contract, but will probably give the S3 a good look when it comes out - or the sony. Just as a side note - I bought my wife the apple care plan when I got her phone - is there anything similar with the android phones on ATT? The ATT plan didn't look like a good deal compared to apple care. Squaretrade looked like it had a lot of positive reviews online.

Square trade used to be really good. Now it seems like putting a claim in with them is like pulling teeth. that's just my two cents from having 3 of their warranties. The first two back a few years ago went good. Last one they supposedly tested device and came back working when it did not at all.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

cbasse

So, looks like my decision may be easier than I thought. Just called at&t and found that I still have an early term charge of $145. So, unless I can wait until July or so to make a move, I'll probably be going with whatever the top phone is through at&t.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

bbtiger

Jan 27, 2011
I personally think the Galaxy Note would be heavenly :D . I don't use my cappy as a phone but more as a pmp (personal media player) and think a 5" pmp would be heaven.

Sent from Monster Droid

;) Yeah, I love my cappy as a pmp. It just sounds amazing!!! (the best pmp on the market afaik) if you rooted and rockboxed it. I compared the mp3 on a friend's SGSII and my cappy with Voodoo sound, guess which one I like (Samsung just dropped the ball on the SGSII, IMOH)? I always came back to my cappy just because of the Voodoo sound:p.

I'm waiting for the SGS3 and see if Samsung will use a better DAC chip as it used Wolfson's WM8994 DAC in the cappy.

Regardless of what I'll be getting next for my phone, I just keep my cappy as my PMP of choice:)

Last edited:

Gun Bunny

Aug 14, 2011
My contract is up in June, by then the Sony Ion will be out (maybe with ICS), it looks like a very nice phone.
Love my cappy, but might have to jump ship and switch brands. :D

capocaccia

Mar 16, 2011
Oxford
I want the note

Sent from my Captivate running ICS 4.0 with ICS NOVA launcher

I was waiting out for that too but at $300 AT&T can go F^*K themselves. Thats an insane price. Especially when its still a gingerbread phone.

I wish I was that strong lol

Im planning on getting the Lumia 900 or waiting till Q4 for the Windows Phone 8 lineup

Im planning on taking a good look at the Lumia 900 as well. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the windows app store sucks and I cant stand ATT bloatware taking up my phone so having useless tiles like ATT U Verse would be really annoying to me.

mike21pr

May 16, 2008
San Juan
I was waiting out for that too but at $300 AT&T can go F^*K themselves. Thats an insane price. Especially when its still a gingerbread phone.

Im planning on taking a good look at the Lumia 900 as well. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the windows app store sucks and I cant stand ATT bloatware taking up my phone so having useless tiles like ATT U Verse would be really annoying to me.

windows phone lets u uninstall all bloatware unlike android.

gotta agree a bit about the marketplace, its growing quick though

***BTW, I wouldnt touch a ATT Galaxy Note with a 10 foot pole... Snapdragon dual cores are horrible compared to exynos (or any other while at it)

Last edited:

Cor-master

Apr 16, 2011
Indianapolis IN
After getting somewhat burned by the Captivate, is anyone hesitant to get another Samsung phone? Also, if you're waiting for the SGS3, are you concerned at all about getting it right after launch without letting it get "tested" in the marketplace first? I mean, we know what it felt like to be early-adopters with the Captivate and having the accompanying headaches that came as a result... Not sure I'm in a hurry to be in that position again (actually, I just got the Asus Transformer Prime and I'm now having a new set of GPS issues)...

Also, I suppose we'll have to just wait and see, but has anyone heard rumors of any Samsung-killers being announced next month?

I know I'm not worried about getting burned by Samsung. In the age of cheap manufacturing all phones have issues, but my captive is my 4th straight Samsung and I've seemed to notice they hold up better than most other phones. That being said I'm not worried about a gs3.

Still think quad core phones are completely unnecessary
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

scottcwhite

Sep 1, 2010
Actually I'm quite happy with my cappy. Never had any issues, I'm running the same operating system available currently only on the Gnex. I get a good 15 hours of heavy use from the battery and my job pays for the bill. Other than not having a front facing camera there is not really any other phone on the market that does something mine doesn't. Maybe they do it a tad faster but hell, if I need that much speed I use my home computer. This is in the end still a phone. And still way faster than driving around looking for a pay phone that works.

Yes I remember those days

Reactions: jumpdawg

chyckyn

May 21, 2011
St John's
windows phone lets u uninstall all bloatware unlike android.

gotta agree a bit about the marketplace, its growing quick though

***BTW, I wouldnt touch a ATT Galaxy Note with a 10 foot pole... Snapdragon dual cores are horrible compared to exynos (or any other while at it)

Thats true about the windows phone, to me they are social networking oriented phones cause of the FB and messenger integration..

Lol Neither that Note, the Skyrocket or the upcoming Skyrocket HD.. It's rediculos to sacrifice performance for faster internet speeds, most people dont consider that not every new item on the market is better am sticking with the Exynos and the SAMOLED.. Even after being out soo long the GSII is still on top..

Put ICS from team ICS on your cappy and it runs like a dream..

J M L

Sep 24, 2010
Put ICS from team ICS on your cappy and it runs like a dream..

Indeed. I was really looking forward to my subsidized upgrade, which will be available at the end of March, but with Ice Cream Sandwhich on my phone, I really don't care anymore. Most of the Gingerbread ROMs weren't very stable for me, but they were so far beyond Froyo in capabilities, that I just stuck it out and rebooted every day or so. That wore on me, and I so wanted an upgrade.

KK4 was pretty good, but wow is ICS (CM9/Teamhacksung build 15, at the moment) so far beyond KK4 in speed and stability, that I won't consider going back. I am very impressed with Google and Cyanogen for making an upgrade which made old hardware run better.

I was talking to my brother, and I said, "With ICS I don't feel like upgrading anymore," and he said, "Funny, putting iOS5 on my 3GS convinced me to buy a 4S."

My plan for now is to keep my Captivate (crappy GPS and all) until a proper Google phone is available on AT&T.

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None
Honestly, I think that I'll be with this Captivate until it dies.

I'm up for an upgrade somewhere around November, but I'm happy with how it works, and even if development dies down, I think I'll save my upgrade until a phone that really works for me comes around. I've been burned once by jumping to a new phone before a good one was available (I'm looking at you, Samsung Jack...), and the Captivate has run like a champ through everything I've put it through.

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Captivate feels small alright, but Galaxy Note is very very big....I played with ATT's note couple of times but always got disappointed by the size....I agree with LTE speed...thats why I am thinking abt skyrocket now...

The note is pretty, but yeah, it's much larger than the Captivate. If you almost want a tablet, then I think it will be good, but otherwise it might be too big to fit in your pocket.

gs-vs-note.jpg

The person I'm sitting next to, whose Note is pictured, says, "it's fine" (regarding fitting in a pocket).
    Regarding the Note...I'm leaning towards getting one this month after I saw Samsung offers the same car mount that they have for the Captivate. It has a great snap-in feel and the sliding USB connection (Power + Audio) is simple and very functional. Since they have a similar offering for the Note I'm ready to jump on it.

My questions:

1. Can anyone vouch for the Google Nav performance of the Note? I can vouch that my Captivate is complete crap when trying to use Navigation in the car.

2. How is audio quality compared to the Captivate? I know it's subjective, but I have a picky ear and would appreciate any comparisons.

3. Any concerns about call quality with the Note? My Captivate shines here...

4. How is the overall feel for quality? Buttons, bezel, battery door, usb port, etc...

Edit: I should add that I played with one in the AT&T store but it's not the same as using a device day-to-day.

I have only had the Note for a couple days so I can only give you my impressions of a Captivate user since launch and going through 4 of them using warranty and insurance.

1. I can completely vouch for the GPS performance on the Note. It is awesome. Locks in under 5 seconds. Locks to 10+ satellites in around 10 seconds. I am not aware of anyone having GPS problems with the Note. I was able to use Nav in my previous Captivates, but GPS was always finicky ... the GPS on the Note is solid.

2/3 - The call and sound quality are pretty good. Nothing to complain about if you are coming from the Captivate. The external speaks are noticeably louder ... which is great since you tend to look like an asshat when holding the Note to your head and not using speakerphone or an earpiece.

4 - The build quality is similar to the Captivate. The screen still uses Gorilla Glass and it feels solid overall. My only complaint as far as build quality goes is the backplate seems kinda flimsy. You have to "rip" it off to get at the innards and it wasn't solid like the Captivate's. It feels fine when it is attached to the Captivate though.

Just to add ... my real issue is the size although I believe I'll get used to it and wanted the size or else I would have gotten a Galaxy S2.
    I figure many of us are facing the same dilemma here...

Like many of you, the Captivate was my first Android phone. Being an AT&T customer, it was my (our) only choice back in the summer of 2010 and I (we) jumped on it and, besides some ocassional frustrations, haven't looked back since (other than "GPS-Gate", I've (we've) been extremely happy with the "Cappy"). :D

In March I'll (we'll) be eligible for an upgrade with AT&T and I'm (we're) starting to wrestle with the question of what to do next...

Should I (we) stay loyal to AT&T and see what phones they have available/will soon be availble? The SGSII (Skyrocket) looks good, but there's bound to be something new available in a couple of months.

Or, should I (we) jump ship to another carrier (Verizon, T-Mo, Sprint) and have an even better selection of phones to choose from?

So, do any of you have any suggestions or advice? What are you going to do when your contract is up with AT&T? Is Verizon, T-Mobile, or "insert-carrier-name-here" a better carrier to be with (pricing, selection, service, coverage, etc.) than AT&T? Anyone have any experience with the other carriers you could share? Or, is it best to sit tight until after February and see what new phones are on the horizon (SGSIII, something else)???

Ultimately, the plan is to do something within the next 3 to 6 months...just not sure what the right move would be.

I (we) thank you for your comments/thoughts/advice/other! :cool:
    Actually I'm quite happy with my cappy. Never had any issues, I'm running the same operating system available currently only on the Gnex. I get a good 15 hours of heavy use from the battery and my job pays for the bill. Other than not having a front facing camera there is not really any other phone on the market that does something mine doesn't. Maybe they do it a tad faster but hell, if I need that much speed I use my home computer. This is in the end still a phone. And still way faster than driving around looking for a pay phone that works.

Yes I remember those days

The backplate on the note seems flimsy but it reminds me very much of the feel of the vibrant plate. While the design is different the feel is similar. I have to say the vibrant is still kicking along and the back hasn't snapped or anything.

Generally I've found the build quality to be good and think this is a perception issue more than something which will really be a problem.