[APP][4.0+] Wayk - An Alarm About Wayking Up

Search This thread

miikky

Apr 30, 2010
Porvoo
No. They said the apk had quadrupled in size.
I'm ready for this update. Wish we could beta test and help them find bugs

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

Yes, we could do beta testing if needed, but Im also happy that they will release next version when it is ready and major bugs have been ironed out, because you dont want to have an alarm app that will fail you in the mornings =)

I always use two alarm clocks for a couple of days when trying new alarm apps for my Gnex(old faithfull Nokia E5 will always wake me up if new app fails).

/Miikky
Galaxy Nexus 4.0.2(GSM)

mquinn24

Feb 27, 2010
Gamecock Country
Yes, we could do beta testing if needed, but Im also happy that they will release next version when it is ready and major bugs have been ironed out, because you dont want to have an alarm app that will fail you in the mornings =)

I always use two alarm clocks for a couple of days when trying new alarm apps for my Gnex(old faithfull Nokia E5 will always wake me up if new app fails).

/Miikky
Galaxy Nexus 4.0.2(GSM)

I agree. I'm just anxious to try the new features.

mquinn24

Feb 27, 2010
Gamecock Country
Here's my input on the beta:24 hr mode is great and the voice recognition for snooze is simply awesome.

Oh wait, I don't have the beta yet. What am I talking about. Silly me:D

Last edited:

APrinceAmongMen

Jan 14, 2009
Yorba Linda
www.ai-android.com
Here's my input on the beta:24 hr mode is great and the voice recognition for snooze is simply awesome.

Oh wait, I don't have the beta yet. What am I talking about. Silly me:D

Haha. We're caught up on one last snag.

Maybe you guys can help.

Now the Voice Recognition is phenomenal. A little too great actually. And because of this, the ringtone and vibrator both need to be off once we start listening for speech input.
If the ringtone is on, the engine is unable to recognize any speech.
If the vibrator is on, we get a result of "tst tst tst tst tst" or "ass ass ass ass ass" (literally, that's what it says :p).

So we're trying to figure out how to smartly turn on voice recognition and temporarily turn off the ringtone and vibrator while it listens for speech. We've decided to go with the dynamic of picking up the phone, which temporarily silences vibration and ringtone, allowing you to speak to the device. Now, we ran into another snag right here. The vibration interferes with our ability to detect if you picked up the phone since the phone is always shaking.

Another option is to listen with the microphone and temporarily turn off the ringtone and the vibration. We attempted to go with this at first but there is far too much happening. The ringtone is slowly increasing in volume over 15 seconds (somebody requested gentle wayking xD) and the vibration is inconsistent and very loud. This makes it difficult to detect when you start speaking and there still is the question of whether or not this is fast enough at silencing vibrate and ringtone to allow the voice engine to pick up all of your speech input.

So, here are the options ordered by fastest release time to slowest:

1-Remove the vibrate feature, we hate it anyway!
Silence ringtone on pickup to listen for voice input. We could literally get this out in the next 30 minutes if we did this. The downside is no vibrating alarm clock.

2- I want my vibrate, here's another hour or two.
Silence ringtone and vibrate on pickup. You get to keep the vibrate feature, but we spend some more time ironing out these kinks.

3- Shut up and do it like a pro.
No pickup to talk to phone. We use the mic to detect when you start talking and silence the ringtone and vibrate right when you start. The upside is that this is the best way to do it. The downside is that it will take days to do.

4- ???
If you have an idea on how to deal with this, let us know. It may just be the solution.

We currently working at number 2.
Number 3 will definitely be included in a later release if not this one.

What do you think guys?
It is your app after all :)

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
Haha. We're caught up on one last snag.

Maybe you guys can help.

Now the Voice Recognition is phenomenal. A little too great actually. And because of this, the ringtone and vibrator both need to be off once we start listening for speech input.
If the ringtone is on, the engine is unable to recognize any speech.
If the vibrator is on, we get a result of "tst tst tst tst tst" or "ass ass ass ass ass" (literally, that's what it says :p).

So we're trying to figure out how to smartly turn on voice recognition and temporarily turn off the ringtone and vibrator while it listens for speech. We've decided to go with the dynamic of picking up the phone, which temporarily silences vibration and ringtone, allowing you to speak to the device. Now, we ran into another snag right here. The vibration interferes with our ability to detect if you picked up the phone since the phone is always shaking.

Another option is to listen with the microphone and temporarily turn off the ringtone and the vibration. We attempted to go with this at first but there is far too much happening. The ringtone is slowly increasing in volume over 15 seconds (somebody requested gentle wayking xD) and the vibration is inconsistent and very loud. This makes it difficult to detect when you start speaking and there still is the question of whether or not this is fast enough at silencing vibrate and ringtone to allow the voice engine to pick up all of your speech input.

So, here are the options ordered by fastest release time to slowest:

1-Remove the vibrate feature, we hate it anyway!
Silence ringtone on pickup to listen for voice input. We could literally get this out in the next 30 minutes if we did this. The downside is no vibrating alarm clock.

2- I want my vibrate, here's another hour or two.
Silence ringtone and vibrate on pickup. You get to keep the vibrate feature, but we spend some more time ironing out these kinks.

3- Shut up and do it like a pro.
No pickup to talk to phone. We use the mic to detect when you start talking and silence the ringtone and vibrate right when you start. The upside is that this is the best way to do it. The downside is that it will take days to do.

4- ???
If you have an idea on how to deal with this, let us know. It may just be the solution.

We currently working at number 2.
Number 3 will definitely be included in a later release if not this one.

What do you think guys?
It is your app after all :)

i can live without my alarm clock vibrating...think about it, normal alarm clocks dont vibrate so its not a huge loss...but i think that having to pick up the phone pretty much negates the ease of voice recognition...if i have to reach to pick up my phone anyway pressing the off button isnt that difficult

scenario #3 would be the best...but is there a trigger word or something? (ie snooze or "alarm off") because if any sound disables the alarm clock i can see a lot of people making a noise or saying a word by accident when they hear their alarm and go right back to sleep...

when i first heard of this concept i pictured/assumed that the alarm would go off and i could simply say "alarm off" and it would stop...and thats all i had to do

theres another app in the market that has voice recognition snooze/off...i havent used it...i wonder if they need you to pick up the phone...if not, you guys have some work to do to beat out the competition

Last edited:

APrinceAmongMen

Jan 14, 2009
Yorba Linda
www.ai-android.com
i can live without my alarm clock vibrating...think about it, normal alarm clocks dont vibrate so its not a huge loss...

do you have to pick up the phone in order to have the voice recognition work?

We're thinking about no vibrate, but if we can get it to work with it, we'll keep it.

As of right now, we have to do on phone pickup. We need to temporarily silence the alarm while it listens for your voice, otherwise it won't be able to recognize. We're looking into silencing the alarm when you start talking, but it's extremely difficult to tell the difference between your voice and the ringtone.

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
We're thinking about no vibrate, but if we can get it to work with it, we'll keep it.

As of right now, we have to do on phone pickup. We need to temporarily silence the alarm while it listens for your voice, otherwise it won't be able to recognize. We're looking into silencing the alarm when you start talking, but it's extremely difficult to tell the difference between your voice and the ringtone.

is it possible to differentiate between sounds and trigger words or are all sounds (ringtone, your voice) the same? if there is a way to do that you can just set up to recognize a few trigger words

jdiddy_ub

Sep 20, 2010
Queens Village, NY
The problem is it can't recognize any words while the ringtone is blasting :(

hmm thats tough..maybe download the other app to see how it works? i dont know if they have a trigger or how the voice recognition works...i havent downloaded it....maybe it will give you an idea?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adnfxmobile.wakevoice.lite

"The idea is simple: when the alarm rings, you just have to talk to WakeVoice to stop the alarm or activate the reminder."

APrinceAmongMen

Jan 14, 2009
Yorba Linda
www.ai-android.com
hmm thats tough..maybe download the other app to see how it works? i dont know if they have a trigger or how the voice recognition works...i havent downloaded it....maybe it will give you an idea?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adnfxmobile.wakevoice.lite

"The idea is simple: when the alarm rings, you just have to talk to WakeVoice to stop the alarm or activate the reminder."

WakeVoice just silences your alarm after 5 and activates voice recognition. Then starts ringing again.
I think voice recognition should only start when you're awake/trying to voice command it.

Last edited:

chadfend

Jan 23, 2008
North Carolina
Maybe I'm a little slow but am I missing something to set the weather? Both days I've used, it has been zero degrees.

Phone is Samsung Skyrocket. Paid and downloaded app from the market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

Reactions: APrinceAmongMen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wayk is back!

senti-wayk-promo-banner-press.png

Wayk

Wayk - Play Store Link - Mobile - $4
    Wayk - Play Store - Desktop - $4

Got any ideas, suggestions, fixes?
    Post in this thread, tweet @sentiapps or Facebook us at facebook.com/sentiapps :)

//////////// WE'RE BACK!

Hello again everyone!

After a far too long hiatus building out the Whisper app, (whisper.sh, check it out). We're back for some Senti madness. We've learned a hell of a lot over the past year and are ready to drop some delicious app goodness on you guys. We started by rebooting Wayk. We rebuilt Wayk from the ground up to be a lean, mean, Wayking machine. It's working wonderfully, and we're soft launching this puppy one more time. We've got some sweet features and upgrades in store for you guys and just can't wait to get it all out!

Glad to be back,
    Cheers!

////////////////////////// Original Post

Hi everyone,

This is Zed, a noobie developer at Senti. We just soft-launched our first app and I wanted this wonderful community to help us test it out and gather feedback before we started to promote this bad boy.

The app is called Wayk. What we've done is try to completely revamp the way you interact with your alarm. We've created an actual wedge clock that makes setting most alarm times only two taps away. We've also made it so that you just have to wave your hand over the phone to snooze it in the morning. You're greeted with a voice response. We've added your calendar and news feeds for you to read when you wake up in an easy to read format.

We've got a lot to add to this app, but we wanted to guage your interest before putting in the time, because we do have quite a few apps in the labs right now.

We'd really appreciate bug reports, feature requests and improvements you might have!

Thanks!

P.S. You can see screenshots in the market description or on our website http://senti.in

/////////////////////////////////////

We wrote a blog post because of how awesome everyone has been! Thanks for the support!
    Hi everyone,

This is Zed, a noobie developer at Senti. We just soft-launched our first app and I wanted this wonderful community to help us test it out and gather feedback before we started to promote this bad boy.

The app is called Senti Alarm. What we've done is try to completely revamp the way you interact with your alarm. We've created an actual wedge clock that makes setting most alarm times only two taps away. We've also made it so that you just have to wave your hand over the phone to snooze it in the morning. You're greeted with a voice response. We've added your calendar and news feeds for you to read when you wake up in an easy to read format. The alarm is automatically dismissed based on what you do with your phone after snoozing it.

We've got a lot to add to this app, but we wanted to guage your interest before putting in the time, because we do have quite a few apps in the labs right now.

We'd really appreciate bug reports, feature requests and improvements you might have!

Here is a copy of the apk
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/senti-in/com.senti.alarm.apk

The app is currently in the market for $2 at:
    market://details?id=com.senti.alarm

Thanks!

P.S. You can see screenshots in the market description or on our website http://senti.in

Will give this a try tonight!
    Looks cool, will also test tonight.

Edit:

Downloaded, installed without a problem. Ran a test alarm. Initially very impressed with the app design and modern style. The wake up voice addressing you by name and telling you the weather and opening Cnet was awesome. The swipe to snooze feature works for the most part. In the morning in a groggy state I don't see it working well enough to be as convenient as a quick mindless swipe, you would actually have to make sure to slowly go directly over the sensor for it to trigger properly. However I need to actually sleep and then try it before I make any real comments.

The only negative things were that on my mdpi HTC Aria on cm 7.2.0 the first pane of the tutorial goes below the viewing area and you cant swipe down to see it and cant go landscape. Also that on the alarm time set screen with the radial menus, the listed alarms and times go below the viewing area so that to save and finish the alarm you need be careful not to mess up your alarm settings while doing so which I did a couple of times on accident.

Also, on the radial menus you can set any time by five minutes, but how do you set them to any number in between? For example I want to set an alarm for 7:33 in the morning, so I tried messing with the smallest inner circle bar and could barely ever get it to move when I wanted it to and ended up going to another interval five minutes later.

Overall really impressed over the improvements from the default alarm. Will try tomorrow in a real sleep and then wake up setting to see if everything is still good.
    Looks nice. Downloading and installing now.

Will let you know in the morning!
    Love the app so far.
    Just did a quick test to see if it works, and it does.
    It did have a problem loading my Calendar, it just said Loading...
    The waving thing worked :D

Some suggestions:
    I really like how to overall UI looks, when you start the app it shows ALARMS in a organized manner and thats really good, but when the alarm actually rings, I think you should change the sign from the sun to something else, or that in HD because it showed up really LOW res on my phone.
    Also Make the MENU button options icons like NEW ALARM, SETTINGS etc. a better suited color. Green,red, etc does not look good on this simplistic white/blue UI.

Another problem; When selecting what time the alarm should be go off on, we cannot choose by exact minutes, or am i doing something wrong? You should probably add the feature to just press the [TIME] and keyboard pops up and then you can customize the time.

Also how does the voice work? I'm going to sleep right now, and do not want a weird voice talking to me and freaking me out in the morning so i've turned it off for now, but i'll report on it later.

edit: also you should probably add a alarm clock icon to the notification bar and make it optional to remove/keep it so people know if the alarm is active or not.