Developing for windows mobile 8 from android's perspective

Search This thread

mmark1

Jan 7, 2014
I'm an android developer who wants to develop for windows mobile 8 as well. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is learning the APIs and tools in comparison with android ? I have never done any type of windows development before and I'm not familiar with anything about it.

Is there an official developers phone for windows mobile like the nexus for android?

Thanks.

kmk68

Dec 3, 2013
Nowe Załubice
Hi.

I tried developing for android. Through the first half of the year, maybe ...
I would add that I am a professional programmer but not mobile applications.

Android programming was not easy for me. Mainly because of the many versions of android, the trouble of tools ...
Often I had some strange behavior of the application that turned out to be a problem with the environment. Eclipse was terribly slow, the emulator is often crash ...

I jumped to WP8 - and I am delighted :) It's much easier for me. Microsoft VS (C #) + XNA ... works as it should.

I'm not a professional in mobile applications - it's just a hobby.
But I'm a professional in programming (ABAP, Delphi, assembler, C #) and I can appreciate a good tool.

I do not know what you used for the android, but this way it should be easier for you :)

Phone... HTC 8S/8X recommend - if you are not doing any great production.

It's cheap. It works stably. And enforces a resource-saving;)

See you.
Kajetan

P. S. My first app to WP8 - a little crazy - OrbDefender.

bellissimo75

Feb 20, 2014
I have recently ported to Windows 8 and Android from iOS (Windows Phone 8 would be very similar Windows 8).

Personally I find the Windows environment to be far superior from a development point of view. The liberal use of bindings means that most of your front end is purely xml, and there is little time consuming and error prone manual linking up of the widgets. Even better than that though is the speed of testing. For a Windows 8 app you can make a code change and deploy it, an you are testing your change 3 or 4 seconds later.

With Android, you make a code change, deploy it, go and make a cup of tea, then when you have finished drinking it, the app is (maybe) ready to test. When you spend a lot of time fiddling around and making things just so, then this can eat up many many frustrating hours.

Then again, windows has a much much smaller user base and users don't seem overly keen on paying. Shame really...

mmark1

Jan 7, 2014
I have recently ported to Windows 8 and Android from iOS (Windows Phone 8 would be very similar Windows 8).

Personally I find the Windows environment to be far superior from a development point of view. The liberal use of bindings means that most of your front end is purely xml, and there is little time consuming and error prone manual linking up of the widgets. Even better than that though is the speed of testing. For a Windows 8 app you can make a code change and deploy it, an you are testing your change 3 or 4 seconds later.

With Android, you make a code change, deploy it, go and make a cup of tea, then when you have finished drinking it, the app is (maybe) ready to test. When you spend a lot of time fiddling around and making things just so, then this can eat up many many frustrating hours.

Then again, windows has a much much smaller user base and users don't seem overly keen on paying. Shame really...

Do you still develop for windows phone 8? Is it worth it? I'm not sure about its future.

angrynapkin

Nov 17, 2014
I found WP development to be easier than Android. You don't have to worry about fragmentation issues - it is kind of like iOS, but with better development tools and a much smaller market share.