[guide] my gps fix for 2.2

Search This thread

kalico17

Oct 12, 2010
**DISCLAIMER** I am not responsible for any of this. Use at your own risk.
requires something to extract rar files, if you dont have something, you prolly shouldnt be doing this to begin with.

To start. props to whoever posted the link im using. im not taking any credit for anything here, other then the fact that it works for me everytime ive tried it.
First. Your going to want to flash back to stock using these links/files

DI18 Update
http://www.multiupload.com/X9AB1U56JV
not my link.

You will need to download ODIN and the PIT.
ODIN: http://www.mediafire.com/?yvgukothbmj2d3g
PIT: http://www.mediafire.com/?yawtcgt8xpg39j9
follow these instructions:
1. Open odin 1.3. I did not use 1.61 for stock flashing.. i only used it when i tested the 2.2 stock rar.

2. Select the s1_odin_20100512.pit on the right in the pit section

3. In the PDA Section, place \\Epic Root\2.1 Files\SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5
not the rar. if all you have is the rar then it should work but i dont have a copy of the rar, only this file so dont quote me
make sure that only eng debug and auto reboot are checked.

4. Put your phone in download mode (Shut it off, wait for lights to all go out, then hold 1 on the keyboard while powering up) make sure it is not connected to a charger or your computer

5. connect phone (you should see odin put a COM 3 show up in yellow..) or something like that in the first box. The actual number is NOT important what is important is something popped up there when you connected your device, meaning ODIN can see it)

6. Hit start. It will do its thing. Doesn't take long you can see the progress bar. If it sits on File Analysis for longer than 30 seconds its not going to happen. I just pull the battery, unplug the phone, restart odin, connect the phone and try again. 2nd times the charm!!

once you are done, let the phone completely boot. Test your GPS just for the sake of doing so ;)

##YOUR PHONE IS NO LONGER ROOTED!

now its time for 2.2

Download the update zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?j5ycbppzdrd3b2d

Place it into your SD cards Root folder (for those who dont know, just drag it to the SD card and drop it, your main directory is your root), boot into stock recovery via the clockwork method (power, volume down, camera button)
apply the update zip.
let the phone boot completely.

Test your GPS, if that doesnt work, try again. I have had this work for me several times already. And I can flash between roms amd still have no modem issues. I am currently running Viper Rom 3.1

If your GPS works, your good to go. The first time I ever did this it took a few minutes before the GPS kicked in but that could have been because of where I was in my house.. Tho ever since then it picks it up within seconds so im not sure if that was a fluke.
hope this helps :D

Last edited:

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
What if I'm already on a custom rom and I want to restore my data after all the ODIN? Would this break the gps again?

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
I guess it's time I contributed. After following kalico17's steps, I'm on a stock 2.2 unrooted phone, my next steps are:

1. Install clockwork recovery mod http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=770388
2. Boot into Clockwork recovery, wiped data 3x, cache3x, dalvik cache 3x, flashed my favorite rom.
3. Booted into custom rom, checked GPS still works
4. Reboot into Clockwork recovery, restored my data using advanced restore, flashed rom over it again(recommended by rom author), reboot
5. Booted into custom rom, checked GPS still works
6. Sit back and relax finally knowing my exact location(accurate to 2 meters) on earth. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: gossomd and markz68

tsperez

Jan 29, 2008
Mission
What else is needed?

Post #1 does not mention the "Galaxy S Drivers". Am I suppose to install these on my Vista laptop before doing the steps listed in post #1?

I have connected my phone (with DK28 but unrooted) to my computer several times so does that mean I have the drivers already on my PC? I normally do the "open device to view files" option when I connect my phone via USB.

TIA,
tsp

tubasteve

Oct 2, 2010
let me be the first dumb-a$$ to post it. i was being wicked dumb trying to use the main guides way while adding little things of mine to speed up my getting it done faster....not guna lie, if you dont follow it as it says, your going to want to throw the epic. thanks, too bad this ruined my day at knotts. an app i was trying out wont let you use it unless the gps works, same with gas buddy. like you can use it, but you cant update stuff....just a complaint.(feeling sick)

kalico17

Oct 12, 2010
Post #1 does not mention the "Galaxy S Drivers". Am I suppose to install these on my Vista laptop before doing the steps listed in post #1?

I have connected my phone (with DK28 but unrooted) to my computer several times so does that mean I have the drivers already on my PC? I normally do the "open device to view files" option when I connect my phone via USB.

TIA,
tsp

Best way is 2 see if odin recognizes ur phone. Boot into download mode, plug ur phone in and if it doesn't see it, you'll need em.

What if I'm already on a custom rom and I want to restore my data after all the ODIN? Would this break the gps again?

Using a back up program? Not sure. I haven't been using em with 2.2 roms because of fcs.. I reinstall everything and reset it back up when needed... I don't see y it would tho.

I actually just took these step to flash the new viper rom, I went back 2 stock a few days ago lol.. gps is working perfectly.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Alain.Alba

Aug 14, 2010
GPS lock back after weeks!!!

Still wasn't getting a GPS lock on my phone simply using the steps posted in the initial post (outdoors with clear skies or indoors after about 5 minutes of trying each).

This method didn't work UNTIL I went into the stock recovery (Vol Down + Camera + Power) *after flashing DI18 COMPLETE tar file with Odin3 v1.0 and PIT files provided above* and wiped data/factory rest and wiped cache partition. (wiped each 3 times, fyi.)

Now I am getting a GPS lock within 5 seconds outdoors and 12 seconds indoors with DI18 (Both done by rebooting the phone, allowing it to fully load and jumping straight into Google Maps). :D

Thanks for the Odin and PIT files.

I will report back later with my results for the stock DK28 update and then Epic Experience 2.0.05

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan D

Alain.Alba

Aug 14, 2010
Used the "update.zip" file provided above to update from DI18 to DK28 and GPS is still fully functional. GPS locked in about 2-3 seconds after fresh reboot.

Again...thanks for this! :D

warlar12

Nov 14, 2010
Did this last night and worked first time lol got gps back after losing it for a monhish

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
I can't believe so many have issues with gps going to dk28, all I did was flash dk28 via odin straight from di18 and with gps test I nab 10 sats within seconds and accuracy to 5 feet

Sent from my Epic 4g

Alain.Alba

Aug 14, 2010
I can't believe so many have issues with gps going to dk28, all I did was flash dk28 via odin straight from di18 and with gps test I nab 10 sats within seconds and accuracy to 5 feet

Sent from my Epic 4g

I think all the issues came from those that used the DK17 modem...thats when mine did.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **DISCLAIMER** I am not responsible for any of this. Use at your own risk.
    requires something to extract rar files, if you dont have something, you prolly shouldnt be doing this to begin with.

To start. props to whoever posted the link im using. im not taking any credit for anything here, other then the fact that it works for me everytime ive tried it.
    First. Your going to want to flash back to stock using these links/files

DI18 Update
    http://www.multiupload.com/X9AB1U56JV
    not my link.

You will need to download ODIN and the PIT.
    ODIN: http://www.mediafire.com/?yvgukothbmj2d3g
    PIT: http://www.mediafire.com/?yawtcgt8xpg39j9
    follow these instructions:
    1. Open odin 1.3. I did not use 1.61 for stock flashing.. i only used it when i tested the 2.2 stock rar.

2. Select the s1_odin_20100512.pit on the right in the pit section

3. In the PDA Section, place \\Epic Root\2.1 Files\SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5
    not the rar. if all you have is the rar then it should work but i dont have a copy of the rar, only this file so dont quote me
    make sure that only eng debug and auto reboot are checked.

4. Put your phone in download mode (Shut it off, wait for lights to all go out, then hold 1 on the keyboard while powering up) make sure it is not connected to a charger or your computer

5. connect phone (you should see odin put a COM 3 show up in yellow..) or something like that in the first box. The actual number is NOT important what is important is something popped up there when you connected your device, meaning ODIN can see it)

6. Hit start. It will do its thing. Doesn't take long you can see the progress bar. If it sits on File Analysis for longer than 30 seconds its not going to happen. I just pull the battery, unplug the phone, restart odin, connect the phone and try again. 2nd times the charm!!

once you are done, let the phone completely boot. Test your GPS just for the sake of doing so ;)

##YOUR PHONE IS NO LONGER ROOTED!

now its time for 2.2

Download the update zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?j5ycbppzdrd3b2d

Place it into your SD cards Root folder (for those who dont know, just drag it to the SD card and drop it, your main directory is your root), boot into stock recovery via the clockwork method (power, volume down, camera button)
    apply the update zip.
    let the phone boot completely.

Test your GPS, if that doesnt work, try again. I have had this work for me several times already. And I can flash between roms amd still have no modem issues. I am currently running Viper Rom 3.1

If your GPS works, your good to go. The first time I ever did this it took a few minutes before the GPS kicked in but that could have been because of where I was in my house.. Tho ever since then it picks it up within seconds so im not sure if that was a fluke.
    hope this helps :D
    I guess it's time I contributed. After following kalico17's steps, I'm on a stock 2.2 unrooted phone, my next steps are:

1. Install clockwork recovery mod http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=770388
    2. Boot into Clockwork recovery, wiped data 3x, cache3x, dalvik cache 3x, flashed my favorite rom.
    3. Booted into custom rom, checked GPS still works
    4. Reboot into Clockwork recovery, restored my data using advanced restore, flashed rom over it again(recommended by rom author), reboot
    5. Booted into custom rom, checked GPS still works
    6. Sit back and relax finally knowing my exact location(accurate to 2 meters) on earth. :)
    GPS lock back after weeks!!!

Still wasn't getting a GPS lock on my phone simply using the steps posted in the initial post (outdoors with clear skies or indoors after about 5 minutes of trying each).

This method didn't work UNTIL I went into the stock recovery (Vol Down + Camera + Power) *after flashing DI18 COMPLETE tar file with Odin3 v1.0 and PIT files provided above* and wiped data/factory rest and wiped cache partition. (wiped each 3 times, fyi.)

Now I am getting a GPS lock within 5 seconds outdoors and 12 seconds indoors with DI18 (Both done by rebooting the phone, allowing it to fully load and jumping straight into Google Maps). :D

Thanks for the Odin and PIT files.

I will report back later with my results for the stock DK28 update and then Epic Experience 2.0.05
    Anyone tried the newest google map 5.0? I had my gps working perfectly, it would lock within seconds. After the "upgrade" to google map 5.0, my gps won't lock anymore. I've uninstalled 5.0 and back to 4.5, it seems my lock "fix" no longer work...

*edit* ok after a reboot, gps works under 4.5

*edit again* after backing out to 4.5 and a reboot, I reinstalled 5.0 again, gps it is now working.
    It does need to be checked. I stress it because 1.61 does not have the option. Not sure if its auto enabled but its not available to be checked