Best case for Galaxy S II?

Search This thread

stim141

Nov 3, 2007
Initially bought the Diztronic TPU which fit like a glove but didn't have protection for the volume or power button. Figured that pressing the power button naked would eventually wear the finish down. For the money its a very good case and the fit and finish is excellent.

Next bought the Aegis Trident which is a pretty decent case with problems. Had to RMA it because the top rubber didn't seem to fully seat around the top of the phone's bezel. Also the rubber flap to protect the USB port eventually will stay open - they should have made the lock tabs a little thicker/bigger to keep it in position. Very good case overall but I'm still waiting for the RMA replacement.

Bough the Ballistic T989 case which is a little larger and very easy to install - very rigid rubber protection - BUT - I wish they would have made port covers to protect the finish of the headphone jack and USB port which is cut out a little on the large side. A little on the large side but it does offer good protection for the corners and the rubber is pretty beefy and no real flex at the bottom.

Personally wish they made the Otterbox Commuter for the phone similar in design to the way it protected my HD2. The HD2 version had its problems with the poly shell cracking around the camera because it was so thin but it fit perfectly and the cover flaps always stayed put. Good protection around the screen bezel as well - never let any dirt in, which both the Aegis and Ballistic don't do because the rubber bezel doesn't exactly seat on the glass to create a decent seal. I guess they do that to allow for a screen protector.

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
+1 Diztronic High Gloss Translucent Smoke Flexible *Revision 2* TPU Case

I carry my phones in my pocket and dislike the bulky cases. I usually like simple snap on one sided hard backs.

This time looking around, I really liked how thin the Diztronic TPU looked. I order the glossy smoked translucent one they have on Amazon for $7.

It's great, not flimsy like other cheap TPU, slides easily in and out of my pocket. Easy to grip, not slippery in the hand. Hardly adds bulk, protects the back and sides. Has a slight lip so you can put the phone down on it's face and not scratch the screen. Snug & Form fitting, easy to install, not too hard to remove, but not loose either that will let it fall off easy or sag. It's material is stiff enough to hug the edges nicely. The problem with partially covering the mic is gone in *REVISION 2*.

I liked it so much I bought the diamond pattern one for my wife's Motorola Atrix 4G.

True story,

-CC

EDIT: found some discounts after posting, W9IXKZR2 10% off on the purchase of 2 or more, I tested it working as of 03/09/12. Another code for free shipping came up too in the reviews but it didn't work for me GOMFHF8E. YMMV

Last edited:

jordanishere

Sep 13, 2011
so i finally gave in and made some small cuts on the inside of my d30s power button. now its much easier to press. didnt bother to make any cuts for the volume keys as those arent hard to press at all.

Sent from my SGH-T989

jmacdonald19

Jul 12, 2008
Minneapolis
I know there have already been a thousand replies to this, but personally I prefer the Trident Aegis case (black) and I have Ghost Armor on the screen for protection. Works like a champ for me!

simple23227

Oct 24, 2011
One more vote for the D30 case here. I've tried different unbranded cases and the Trident Aegis along with the D30. Still, so far I love the D30 more than any of those. I cut the inside of the case, along the sides of the power button and the volume controls, which makes the buttons so easy to press now.

I wish D30 can make different colors for the case. :D

Heff66

Feb 19, 2012
Chicago, IL
I bought the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II Body Glove Diamond Shell - White from the T-Mobile shop when I got my phone. It is a little storm trooperish to me but protects the phone very well. My favorite part is the rubber buttons and how easily the Galaxy S II fits in the case itself, the raised rubber lip on the front helps to protect the screen, I like it over all.

Last edited:

Touch_Pete

Nov 28, 2007
Lower Sackville NS
Premium Black Leather Horizontal Carrying Pouch Case for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Do not waste your money on this <http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Leather-Horizontal-Carrying-T-Mobile/dp/B005Q4CO68/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_1> it is ill fitting and definitely not Premium Black leather. I didn't even have it for a week when one of the belt loops let go. If anyone is aware of a good case similar to this I would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
I have to say I'm impressed with the D30 case

I am normally anti-case.. I love my phones naked, they just look so much sexier and feel better in the hand

However once I thought about how rare it is to have a flawless screen, I decided I better protect my phone as best I can. Sure I have insurance but if I were to get a replacement plagued with blotches or lines I would be devastated.

So then the decision became, what case do I buy. I can't stand anything rubbery, or any material that picks up pocket lint, or any material that would be slick and might fly out of my hand... so I settled on trying the D30, and bought it from T-Mo with a 30% off coupon from their FB page (I still have the coupon if anyone wants it, just PM me, it's printable and valid until May)

I have to tell you, this case is the best case I have ever owned for a phone. Adds virtually no size to the phone, not bulky at all.. not slippery, but doesn't pick up pocket lint.. and once you break it in, even pressing the power button isn't a hassle.

All the way around, a great buy, and a great case.

MBIER

Oct 28, 2010
redlands, ca
Amzer

i order all of my galaxy s cases from amzer so far i have had 4 of them they come in all colors i use the clear but they fit tight and are very ruggid i drop my phone every once in a while but they keep the phone very well protected

southusc

Jul 3, 2011
Question for anyone who has the Trident Aegis, I just purchased one and should be here Monday has anyone found any type of belt clip or similar that will fit the phone with the Aegis? I know they don't make one that is specific so any type of generic one or maybe a leather belt clip pouch that will fit it? I just can't get used to carrying it around in my pocket. Thanks

azian_kicker

Sep 14, 2010
I have a echo sound problem with diztronic case. It looks nice but unusable. All my friends complain about my voice echo when i have this case on.

Unbeatable Guy

Mar 6, 2012
Behind You!
Try to have case mate case as it is the beat I ever tried ....there are reo layers of it one is soft one which set inside andbither us hard which set outside soft one is because to protect the scratches from hard one (sides)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using xda premium

matthewdavis

May 25, 2010
Raleigh, NC
OnePlus 7T
I bought the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II Body Glove White Case Protector from the T-Mobile shop when I got my phone. It is a little storm trooperish to me but protects the phone very well. My favorite part is the rubber buttons and how easily the Galaxy S II fits in the case itself, the raised rubber lip on the front helps to protect the screen, I like it over all.

A vote for this one too. However to me, it's not storm trooper looking. Because it's white its been mistaken for an iPhone twice now. :(

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

barribow

Sep 1, 2010
Boston, MA
comparison of d30 and TPU S-line

Last night a friend of mine with the same phone as mine (T989) had d30 and I had TPU S-line. We checked them side to side, d3o is wider on the sides and heavier.

So it makes your phone bigger and heavier, but maybe a bit thinner than TPU. Of course it provides better protection though.

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
Last night a friend of mine with the same phone as mine (T989) had d30 and I had TPU S-line. We checked them side to side, d3o is wider on the sides and heavier.

So it makes your phone bigger and heavier, but maybe a bit thinner than TPU. Of course it provides better protection though.

Buddy of mine also had the TPU-S. The differences were very minor.

Sent from my T989 hunting for Siri Connor

azian_kicker

Sep 14, 2010
im going to give the white body glove a try. It looks nice I just don't really like the shinny part on the back.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

does anyone have experience on the sound of the body glove case?

yurchikm

Oct 3, 2008
are you sure you have diztronic case Revision 2? The fist revision did not have cut out for mic on the bottom of the phone next to micro usb. Case Revision 2 - has cut out.

I have a echo sound problem with diztronic case. It looks nice but unusable. All my friends complain about my voice echo when i have this case on.

a12m4nd0

Oct 31, 2011
I have 6 cases for this phone (I don't know what I was thinking). It's nice to have the option to switch between the cases, especially because I own the white T989 but for me there's one I consistently go back to. I'll list pros/cons of the ones I have, in case it helps anyone. All cases have the ports open and mic holes exposed so I won't list that anywhere.

Fishbone (White plastic backing)
Price: $

Pros: Lightweight, thin, stylish, easy to put on and take off and easy to push the volume rocker and power buttons. All ports easily accessible and no mic holes are covered. Will protect against light drops and cosmetic phone injuries, like scratches.

Cons: The contrasting textures of the glossy plastic and the soft silicone bothered me. The silicone attracts a lot of lint and the two piece design is flawed in that it doesn't wrap around in the middle, leaving the silicone cover feeling very loose. It never really felt secure and this makes it lose a lot of points.

Diztronic TPU, 2nd Revision (Clear Matte)

Pros: Lightweight, very thin, exposes the volume/power buttons (which is the best solution, in my opinion) and hugs the phone nicely while being easy to put on and take off. Feels wonderful in your hands and won't slide around. In my opinion, the best combination of thinness and protection. The opacity of the case allows the white to be shown.

Cons: It probably wouldn't protect against a major fall, though when I dropped mine onto a set of subway stairs, the phone survived with no damage whatsoever.

Trident Aegis (Blue Silicone)
Price: $$$

Pros:Best protection for the phone of all the cases I own, hands down. Dropped with no worries of damage whatsoever. The buttons are easy to press and the blue silicone stands out quite nicely. The higher quality silicone doesn't attract as much lint and the polycarbonate backing's texture makes it very easy to hold, with a nice feel. The ports have a covering to protect against lint, dirt and debris from entering.

Cons:The case is protective but very thick. If you care about preserving the thinness of the phone, this isn't for you. I felt like I was holding a Game Boy at times. The case also completely covered the phone, so I missed out on the white. It is also quite difficult to take off and put on, as the polycarbonate backing is stiff and takes time to finally go over the silicone. Definitely going to annoy the hell out of you if you happen to do a lot of battery pulls.

Seidio Active w/ Kickstand (Amethyst)
Price:$$$

Pros: Great combination of protection and thinness; your phone will feel tight and secure in your hand. The color is neat. Similar in design to the Fishbone case in how it works (silicone and polycarbonate backing) but much improved, especially when it comes to keeping the silicone wrapped around the entire bezel of the phone. Buttons are covered but easy to press. Includes a kickstand if you like that sort of thing, but I found myself using it very rarely.

Cons: Many people complain about the design resembling a grenade, but that's an aesthetic preference that varies with color. Silicone isn't as high in quality as the Aegis, so lint is a problem. The kickstand hinge feels like it's going to snap off EVERY time I click it open or closed, which is probably what makes me paranoid about using it.

D30 Flex case (Blue)
Price: $$

Pros: The D30 is protective and I felt like my phone was safe within the case. The blue case with the white phone looked nice together and the thinness was pretty good.

Cons: For the love of Jesus, the buttons are SO DAMN DIFFICULT to press! I'm aware that there are modifications one can perform to facilitate that, but I prefer to use a case as it was intended. You really have to push, especially for that power button. It was a HUGE turn off for me. The case can also, depending how it fits, lift up your screen protectors edges which can really screw it up and trap dirt or lint beneath it. The case was also not as snug as I would have liked and I was a bit worried that the phone could come out if the drop was bad enough.

Wireless Central Brand Hybrid Plastic/TPU case (Clear/Black)

Pros: Meant to mimic a band case. Easy to remove and put on. The plastic backing is completely clear and displays the white battery cover, which compliments the black TPU. Aesthetically pleasing and not too thick.

Cons: The plastic on the back, where your phone is likely to rest when you put it down, is slippery and can slide around. There will also always be a bit of a space between the plastic and the back of your phone. Might help with shock absorption but it annoyed me because it allowed particles to get stuck there, which then become very visible.

In my opinion, the best case (and the one I always tend to go back to) is the Diztronic TPU, followed by the Seidio Active. I switch between them most frequently. The Diztronic almost feels like you don't have a case on and pretty much enhances the phone's natural state while offering adequate protection. For the price, it's the best. In last would definitely be the D30. Hopefully the cases for future phones from them aren't so stiff and fit better. Then again, this is all subjective and your mileage may vary.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Best case is clearly the seidio active
    I'm still in shock at how many people don't have this case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seidio-ACTI...318387?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cc15fcb33

Maybe not everyone wants their phone to resemble a hand grenade?

Sent from my Hercules using XDA App
    I have 6 cases for this phone (I don't know what I was thinking). It's nice to have the option to switch between the cases, especially because I own the white T989 but for me there's one I consistently go back to. I'll list pros/cons of the ones I have, in case it helps anyone. All cases have the ports open and mic holes exposed so I won't list that anywhere.

Fishbone (White plastic backing)

Pros: Lightweight, thin, stylish, easy to put on and take off and easy to push the volume rocker and power buttons. All ports easily accessible and no mic holes are covered. Will protect against light drops and cosmetic phone injuries, like scratches.

Cons: The contrasting textures of the glossy plastic and the soft silicone bothered me. The silicone attracts a lot of lint and the two piece design is flawed in that it doesn't wrap around in the middle, leaving the silicone cover feeling very loose. It never really felt secure and this makes it lose a lot of points.

Diztronic TPU, 2nd Revision (Clear Matte)

Pros: Lightweight, very thin, exposes the volume/power buttons (which is the best solution, in my opinion) and hugs the phone nicely while being easy to put on and take off. Feels wonderful in your hands and won't slide around. In my opinion, the best combination of thinness and protection. The opacity of the case allows the white to be shown.

Cons: It probably wouldn't protect against a major fall, though when I dropped mine onto a set of subway stairs, the phone survived with no damage whatsoever.

Trident Aegis (Blue Silicone)

Pros:Best protection for the phone of all the cases I own, hands down. Dropped with no worries of damage whatsoever. The buttons are easy to press and the blue silicone stands out quite nicely. The higher quality silicone doesn't attract as much lint and the polycarbonate backing's texture makes it very easy to hold, with a nice feel. The ports have a covering to protect against lint, dirt and debris from entering.

Cons:The case is protective but very thick. If you care about preserving the thinness of the phone, this isn't for you. I felt like I was holding a Game Boy at times. The case also completely covered the phone, so I missed out on the white. It is also quite difficult to take off and put on, as the polycarbonate backing is stiff and takes time to finally go over the silicone. Definitely going to annoy the hell out of you if you happen to do a lot of battery pulls.

Seidio Active w/ Kickstand (Amethyst)
    Price:$$$

Pros: Great combination of protection and thinness; your phone will feel tight and secure in your hand. The color is neat. Similar in design to the Fishbone case in how it works (silicone and polycarbonate backing) but much improved, especially when it comes to keeping the silicone wrapped around the entire bezel of the phone. Buttons are covered but easy to press. Includes a kickstand if you like that sort of thing, but I found myself using it very rarely.

Cons: Many people complain about the design resembling a grenade, but that's an aesthetic preference that varies with color. Silicone isn't as high in quality as the Aegis, so lint is a problem. The kickstand hinge feels like it's going to snap off EVERY time I click it open or closed, which is probably what makes me paranoid about using it.

D30 Flex case (Blue)
    Price: $$

Pros: The D30 is protective and I felt like my phone was safe within the case. The blue case with the white phone looked nice together and the thinness was pretty good.

Cons: For the love of Jesus, the buttons are SO DAMN DIFFICULT to press! I'm aware that there are modifications one can perform to facilitate that, but I prefer to use a case as it was intended. You really have to push, especially for that power button. It was a HUGE turn off for me. The case can also, depending how it fits, lift up your screen protectors edges which can really screw it up and trap dirt or lint beneath it. The case was also not as snug as I would have liked and I was a bit worried that the phone could come out if the drop was bad enough.

Wireless Central Brand Hybrid Plastic/TPU case (Clear/Black)

Pros: Meant to mimic a band case. Easy to remove and put on. The plastic backing is completely clear and displays the white battery cover, which compliments the black TPU. Aesthetically pleasing and not too thick.

Cons: The plastic on the back, where your phone is likely to rest when you put it down, is slippery and can slide around. There will also always be a bit of a space between the plastic and the back of your phone. Might help with shock absorption but it annoyed me because it allowed particles to get stuck there, which then become very visible.

In my opinion, the best case (and the one I always tend to go back to) is the Diztronic TPU, followed by the Seidio Active. I switch between them most frequently. The Diztronic almost feels like you don't have a case on and pretty much enhances the phone's natural state while offering adequate protection. For the price, it's the best. In last would definitely be the D30. Hopefully the cases for future phones from them aren't so stiff and fit better. Then again, this is all subjective and your mileage may vary.
    NO GOOD

Just wanted to update about the aluminum/metal looking cases. They SUCK. The picture is pretty deceiving. They do NOT cover the top and bottom edges, and when I got them, the silver one was bent down at the bottom.

Recommendation rescinded.
    can someone tell me which case is better among the d3O cases i see that there is a D3O flex prot. case and the D3O dual impact. from the posts here it looks like more people are going with the flex case

Dual impact would probably offer more protection. It's a hard plastic layer on the outside and rubber inner layer and lip. Though the dual impact case is much harder to remove.
    Best case is clearly the seidio active
    I'm still in shock at how many people don't have this case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seidio-ACTI...318387?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cc15fcb33