Please help! I cannot reboot and tried all the normal methods

Search This thread

vettejock99

Feb 25, 2006
Austin, TX and Orange County, CA
I've had my One for about 4 months and I've flashed about a dozen Sense and AOSP/CM11 roms on it before recently settling into using MultiROM w/ViperOne w/hardexec kernel as my primary and TripNDroid 17 w/teamSeven kernel w/smartmax_eps governor as my secondary. I've been running the latter most frequently. Anyway, after about a week of running it I have had a few weird issues where it works fine for a day or two and then I can't get the screen on and I have to force reboot with VOL DOWN+POWER. That has worked fine. Last night I was on a flight and when I landed and took the phone out of airplane mode I had signal but no data, so I told it to soft-boot (I do that often, so I don't have to wait for MultiROM), saw the Google splash as expected, and then I put it in my pocket. When I pulled it out 20 minutes later expecting my desktop it was black.

VOL DOWN+POWER for 20-30 seconds causes the key lights to blink as usual, but it never reboots. I plugged it into my PC and though I get the exclamation next to HTC One or MTP device in device manager I can get a response from adb devices so I issues adb reboot which did nothing. Nor did adb reboot recovery. I can adb shell into it and I have root prompt, but issuing a reboot command there also just seems to cause it to hang on the command.

I don't know whether to let it sit now and run the battery down, charge it fully, flash a new boot.img or recovery (not even sure how I could since I can't get into fastboot), or give up and try a RUU exe. I'd really, really appreciate any help as I am traveling all week and it is much harder for me to reach my family without a cell.

Thanks so much.

vettejock99

Feb 25, 2006
Austin, TX and Orange County, CA
Here to report success. Thankfully it didn't take me 40 minutes. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure why it finally worked. I had left it overnight and tried 20-25 times this morning, including several times under direct light, with no success. When it DID finally power off and on I believe I'd been holding the power off, plus vol down for about 30 seconds, then vol up for about the same (without releasing the power button), then releasing vol. Then I released all and just did power only and it worked.

All I know is that when it did finally work all I was holding down was power, and it had 12% battery left so it hadn't fully died yet.

Thanks to everyone for helping inspire me to push through this.

Top Liked Posts