Online shopping

Search This thread

scottlindner

Dec 21, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
That depends on what your security concerns are. For me, I think it is totally safe to buy things online with your phone. I would do just about anything but financial activities in this context. However, my answer is a bit loaded so now I need to explain that part a bit. Credit Cards have built in protections. If you check your statements and dispute all charges that you did not authorize, then shopping through your phone is completely safe. I have had tons of fraudulent activity on my credit cards and I haven't paid a single cent that wasn't my own charge. The catch here is that you run pretty much the same risk doing your shopping online through an ordinary computer. Granted, phones have terrible security. My real point here is that you should use your phone assuming you cannot trust it. In this case, I use my credit card fraud protection as my mitigation for an untrustable platform.

Last edited:

sonyu

Jun 9, 2014
is online shopping on android phones actually safe ...i am confused ..any views on this

It is risky, indeed. Luckily, you can do something to protect your safety online. Android has a lot of flaws and it's vulnerable to malware and viruses- more vulerable than your personal computer because it's an open system( in theory) with millions of unverified apps for Download.

My recommendations:
[Remember, there's no 100% guarantee/solution, but it's better than doing nothing at all!]
  1. Avoid using open WiFi Hotspots( Starbucks, McDonalds, City Hotspots, etc.) if it's not an URGENT purchase.
  2. However, sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you need to purchase something right away. When connected to public networks( again, Sturbucks, City Hotposts, etc) consider using a VPN service to encrypt your connection.
    I don't want to start a war over which VPN provider is better, but PIA( Private Internet Access) is ultra cheap and reliable.
    Why using a VPN? VPN connections, like L2tp IPsec PSK connections can encrypt your data, securing your connection from sniffing( Wireless network tapping/monitoring).
  3. When shopping online use the shop's app rather than your Android browser. Using your browser can have catastrophic consequences. Your eyes can deceive you! Don't trust them.^ ^
  4. When using your browser( Chrome, Android browser, etc) always check your connection to the shop's sing-in page - if it's unsecured( http websites) leave the page! The same goes for links. Make sure to check the URL address! Again, don't rely on your eyes, when using public hotspots. Why? In layman's terms: When you connect to the internet, your Android resolves IP's(URL's/websites) via DNS servers, which can be infected. If a Hotspot is infected and you search for, let's say, PayPal you might actually get somehwere else! Relying on URL's when shopping via Hotspots is a stupid idea! That's why, again, you should consider using a VPN, which encrypt's your traffic+ paid VPN's have a lower chance of getting infected since the folks working there regularly check their servers+ most VPN providers use secure DNS servers, which overide the Hotspot's default DNS settings.
  5. When downloading apps verify the company's name and make sure it's an original app! Avoid using user-made apps to access your eBay/Amazon account! Stay away from unknown&unverified, hence untrusted Android markets.
  6. Antivirus/anitmalware. Scan your phone frequently!
  7. GOLDEN RULE: NOTHING IS BULLETPROOF!

I guess that's it for the average user. :cyclops:
The same applies for your personal computer. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: dipinv.2007

arun483

Jun 7, 2014
Of course it is just make sure you are using https:// means secure server that encrypts your data

multimill

Jun 8, 2014
Münster
One Question reagarding the apps: Are they using a safe connection to the server or might there be a securtiy problem?

Im talking about the "big player apps" like amazon, ebay, paypal etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    is online shopping on android phones actually safe ...i am confused ..any views on this

It is risky, indeed. Luckily, you can do something to protect your safety online. Android has a lot of flaws and it's vulnerable to malware and viruses- more vulerable than your personal computer because it's an open system( in theory) with millions of unverified apps for Download.

My recommendations:
    [Remember, there's no 100% guarantee/solution, but it's better than doing nothing at all!]
    1. Avoid using open WiFi Hotspots( Starbucks, McDonalds, City Hotspots, etc.) if it's not an URGENT purchase.
    2. However, sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you need to purchase something right away. When connected to public networks( again, Sturbucks, City Hotposts, etc) consider using a VPN service to encrypt your connection.
      I don't want to start a war over which VPN provider is better, but PIA( Private Internet Access) is ultra cheap and reliable.
      Why using a VPN? VPN connections, like L2tp IPsec PSK connections can encrypt your data, securing your connection from sniffing( Wireless network tapping/monitoring).
    3. When shopping online use the shop's app rather than your Android browser. Using your browser can have catastrophic consequences. Your eyes can deceive you! Don't trust them.^ ^
    4. When using your browser( Chrome, Android browser, etc) always check your connection to the shop's sing-in page - if it's unsecured( http websites) leave the page! The same goes for links. Make sure to check the URL address! Again, don't rely on your eyes, when using public hotspots. Why? In layman's terms: When you connect to the internet, your Android resolves IP's(URL's/websites) via DNS servers, which can be infected. If a Hotspot is infected and you search for, let's say, PayPal you might actually get somehwere else! Relying on URL's when shopping via Hotspots is a stupid idea! That's why, again, you should consider using a VPN, which encrypt's your traffic+ paid VPN's have a lower chance of getting infected since the folks working there regularly check their servers+ most VPN providers use secure DNS servers, which overide the Hotspot's default DNS settings.
    5. When downloading apps verify the company's name and make sure it's an original app! Avoid using user-made apps to access your eBay/Amazon account! Stay away from unknown&unverified, hence untrusted Android markets.
    6. Antivirus/anitmalware. Scan your phone frequently!
    7. GOLDEN RULE: NOTHING IS BULLETPROOF!

I guess that's it for the average user. :cyclops:
    The same applies for your personal computer. :cool: