How to update to JB and keep root (Locked Bootloader)

Search This thread

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007
To reset the tablet:
Determine which version you are running. For me it was .30WW
Go to www.asus.com and download the firmware for your version
plug your tablet into your usb on your computer, unzip the firmware and put it in the root of your tablet (Dont use USB or SD cards, just transfer it directly)
restart your tablet, it SHOULD load the file and go about resetting the tablet to stock.
If that does not work, try starting the tablet holding power and volume down, on the splash screen press volume up and reset the tablet that way.
Once your tablet is returned to stock you can proceed.

A couple of problems:

1) A contradiction (seemingly) that you say "plug your tablet into your usb on your computer" then "Dont use USB or SD cards"
That needs some clarification - if you plug into usb then you are using USB.

2) The above method doesn't work for me. By copying the file to the root of the tablet's sdcard I see two problems, a) Andy falls over - the error is that it can't find EP201_768_SDUPDATE.ZIP so by dropping the original filename this won't work without renaming. b) even if you rename it, it still complains because it's looking for it on the external sd card.

Unless I'm missing something I couldn't get your method to work. Also once I did rename it and put it on the external card, I still end up with a desktop full of my app shortcuts and data intact which implies either that this method doesn't clear data or it hasn't worked.

Would appreciate some clarification, I'm fully prepared to accept I've done something stupid but so far I've not been successful following the above.

StiiLe

Dec 25, 2010
@louiscar
1) A contradiction (seemingly) that you say "plug your tablet into your usb on your computer" then "Dont use USB or SD cards"

Plug your tablet into your USB on your computer and put it in the root of your tablet, don't put it into USB cards or SD cards.

Downgrade from .30 to .26 with a locked bootloader ?

I am going to downgrade from JB .16 to ICS .30 in order to root my device, but I also would like to unlock bootloader so I would need to downgrade again to .26. I read sometimes "signature mismatch" then it's not possible, but I also read "I did it, it does work". What's the truth ? :rolleyes:

Reactions: louiscar

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
@louiscar

Plug your tablet into your USB on your computer and put it in the root of your tablet, don't put it into USB cards or SD cards.

Downgrade from .30 to .26 with a locked bootloader ?

I am going to downgrade from JB .16 to ICS .30 in order to root my device, but I also would like to unlock bootloader so I would need to downgrade again to .26. I read sometimes "signature mismatch" then it's not possible, but I also read "I did it, it does work". What's the truth ? :rolleyes:

I think you're confusing.
1. You can downgrade from JB to .30 and you can root once you're on .30.
2. You can root your device while you're on JB, but you need to Unlock your device first (unlock tool for ICS will work with JB)
3. Bootloader signature for .30 and JB are the same, but not same as .22 or .26, so you can't downgrade from JB or .30 to .26/.22, However, if you have a backup of NVflash, you could downgrade from .30/JB to .26
Hope it's clear for you.

StiiLe

Dec 25, 2010
I think you're confusing.
1. You can downgrade from JB to .30 and you can root once you're on .30.
2. You can root your device while you're on JB, but you need to Unlock your device first (unlock tool for ICS will work with JB)
3. Bootloader signature for .30 and JB are the same, but not same as .22 or .26, so you can't downgrade from JB or .30 to .26/.22, However, if you have a backup of NVflash, you could downgrade from .30/JB to .26
Hope it's clear for you.

Yes, I understand the 1st and 2nd answer. The 3rd I was not sure about it. Thank you.
Now, I know that I can't unlock my TF700 anymore because I'm on JB... I just can root it with the downgrade to .30. I should have tried NVflash !! :silly:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Yes, I understand the 1st and 2nd answer. The 3rd I was not sure about it. Thank you.
Now, I know that I can't unlock my TF700 anymore because I'm on JB... I just can root it with the downgrade to .30. I should have tried NVflash !! :silly:

Nope, you are incorrect, you still can UNLOCK your device with JB. The unlock tool for ICS will work with JB.

Reactions: StiiLe

louiscar

Oct 12, 2007
Ohhhhhh seriously ! ROM Custom is finally mine ?! :victory:
Thank you, I thought that the unlock tool was only for ICS .26 or less.

I think on Asus site is states the unlocker is for ICS only. However, with the experience of people here who've probably tried it I'm sure that buhohitr is correct.

atgmartin

Sep 4, 2011
Montreal
Followed all the steps (very clear write-up, btw), and it didn't work. I copied the files from my PC to the tablet, and got the red exclamation. Then, I downloaded the files using the tablet, moved the files and changed permissions. Temp-unrooted, booted into the recovery and it took off. I am now rooted on JB. Nice!

Reactions: lamoid

gling54

Jan 20, 2011
Thank you to the OP for preserving my sanity.
I was one of those that lost root with the JB OTA and was using the upgrade firmware from the Asus website ( V10.4.4.16 Only for US SKU (Android 4.1.1)) to update after downgrading back to 30 and rooting. As others have attested, it was to say the least, an aggravating experience (many times over). Stumbled upon this thread and in a matter of minutes, was enjoying the fruits of rooted JB.
I think the "All in one guide" is missing something. This 0ne.

edrodata

Jun 10, 2012
Didn't quite work all the way...

First, thank you for pulling this together. I had been all over the place trying to get an understanding as to how to keep root when updating to JB. This thread is useful, important!

But the bad news is that it didn't work for me. Following are the steps that I did and some comments about them.

TF700T is unlocked but IS rooted.

All stock apps are restored. (I only had some disabled but all are enabled now.)

No custom build.prop.

I decided to reset the tablet to be sure.

Running 30US, got it from ASUS via PC.

Unzipped it on PC...

...changed the name to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip as per instructions elsewhere. (The rename was not on your reset instructions but it didn't work without doing this.)...

Put EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip into root of tablet.

Restarted tablet.

It did not load the file...

Held power and vol down, on splash pressed vol up.

Update successful to stock.

Rooted using Debugfs automated root instructions.

Saved root using OTA Rootkeeper.

Got the US JB file using the link on this thread.

Got the command file using the link on this thread and unzipped it.

Put the unzipped command file into /cache/recovery directory using Root Browser.

Changed permissions to RW-R-R

Put the dlpkgfile file into /cache directory using Root Browser.

Checked that files named correctly and permissions as per this thread.

Went into OTA Rootkeeper and TEMP UNROOT.

Shut down the tablet.

Remove the USB cord.

Eject the Micro SD card.

UNdock the tablet.

press and hold both the power and volume down

Soon as the splash screen came up, released the power and volume down buttons and pressed volume up.

Got a dead android. :( (I don't mean bricked, just the android with the red chest.. The OS came back up okay after restarted it.)

Any suggestions for me? I did this several times being very careful to follow the instructions exactly. I'm looking forward to increased stability that presumably comes with JB. But need to keep root for TB, etc.

Thank you.
Edro

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
First, thank you for pulling this together. I had been all over the place trying to get an understanding as to how to keep root when updating to JB. This thread is useful, important!

But the bad news is that it didn't work for me. Following are the steps that I did and some comments about them.

TF700T is unlocked but IS rooted.

All stock apps are restored. (I only had some disabled but all are enabled now.)

No custom build.prop.

I decided to reset the tablet to be sure.

Running 30US, got it from ASUS via PC.

Unzipped it on PC...

...changed the name to EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip as per instructions elsewhere. (The rename was not on your reset instructions but it didn't work without doing this.)...

Put EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip into root of tablet.

Restarted tablet.

It did not load the file...

Held power and vol down, on splash pressed vol up.

Update successful to stock.

Rooted using Debugfs automated root instructions.

Saved root using OTA Rootkeeper.

Got the US JB file using the link on this thread.

Got the command file using the link on this thread and unzipped it.

Put the unzipped command file into /cache/recovery directory using Root Browser.

Put the dlpkgfile file into /cache directory using Root Browser.

Checked that files named correctly and permissions as per this thread.

Went into OTA Rootkeeper and TEMP UNROOT.

Shut down the tablet.

Remove the USB cord.

Eject the Micro SD card.

UNdock the tablet.

press and hold both the power and volume down

Soon as the splash screen came up, released the power and volume down buttons and pressed volume up.

Got a dead android. :( (I don't mean bricked, just the android with the red chest.. The OS came back up okay after restarted it.)

Any suggestions for me? I did this several times being very careful to follow the instructions exactly. I'm looking forward to increased stability that presumably comes with JB. But need to keep root for TB, etc.

Thank you.
Edro

Seems like you did everything right. Can you try again with tablet in the dock?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Same results with dock attached.

Also I was sure that there was plenty of battery.

Are you unlocked with custom recovery??(I know you are unlocked). Also check the location of the command/dlpkgfile file again, they may got moved after a fail attempt.

Last edited:

edrodata

Jun 10, 2012
oops. My original post is incorrect.

I did not unlock the TF700T. And thus I don't have a custom ROM, no TWRP, nothing at all except:
1. rooted
2. bloatware apps disabled but I enabled everything..besides I restored to 30US.
3. had renamed CMClient.apk and CMClient.odex but these were restored...
So I am only rooted (and tmp unrooted) and nothing else. And so I thought this would be straightforward with these clear and detailed instructions. So I'm confused and feeling helpless. I want JB but I also want root. Sorry for being redundant.

Thank you for your replies!!
Edro

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Yes, I did check the location of command/dlpkfile files. Upon any failure I learned that these files would disappear.

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
Hello !

First of all, thank you for your post.

I have a question "Yes or No". I translated your method (thank you again) in french for the french users, and I told them that they could unlock the bootloader once the firmware is back to ICS (.30). I am not sure about it, I would like you to confirm this ?
Then the method would be :
Downgrade to ICS (v9.4.5.30 WW)
Root with RootDebugfs.bat
Unlock Bootloader
Temp unroot with OTARootKeeper
Upgrade to JB (v10.4.4.16 WW) with OTA
Restore root with OTARootKeeper​

If you are pre-JB and unlocked there are a plethora of options for you. There are many rooted roms you can flash so it should not be a problem for you.

Yes, you should be able to downgrade and unlock however i seem to remember there was something you wanted to do (fastboot maybe?) before upgrading, im not sure on this because i am still locked.

Hopefully that answered your question

edrodata

Jun 10, 2012
I do have two questions

1st about Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper v2.0.3...

It seems that if I tmp unroot, after a failed JB update using command/dlpkgfile files, that root is automatically restored. Maybe that's normal since after a failed update I get the message (on restart) that it is restoring my...whatever (I forget). So maybe having root restored is normal.

The second question is.... I have a password on the TF700T. Could that cause a problem with this procedure? I guess I've done this enough times that I can do it yet another. I'll remove the password, try again, and post my results.

Edro

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
oops. My original post is incorrect.

I did not unlock the TF700T. And thus I don't have a custom ROM, no TWRP, nothing at all except:
1. rooted
2. bloatware apps disabled but I enabled everything..besides I restored to 30US.
3. had renamed CMClient.apk and CMClient.odex but these were restored...
So I am only rooted (and tmp unrooted) and nothing else. And so I thought this would be straightforward with these clear and detailed instructions. So I'm confused and feeling helpless. I want JB but I also want root. Sorry for being redundant.

Thank you for your replies!!
Edro

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Yes, I did check the location of command/dlpkfile files. Upon any failure I learned that these files would disappear.

If everything is reset to stock and you have the apropriate files (US or WW) and they are named correctly, with the correct permissions, in the correct locations i dont see why it would fail. The only thing i can guess is you still have a bad file somewhere, either something that is disabled or CMClient is being detected as not original or something. Im sorry but i dont know how else to help...

Try restarting holding power + volume up and resetting that way? Shot in the dark but worth a try.

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
A couple of problems:

2) The above method doesn't work for me. By copying the file to the root of the tablet's sdcard I see two problems, a) Andy falls over - the error is that it can't find EP201_768_SDUPDATE.ZIP so by dropping the original filename this won't work without renaming. b) even if you rename it, it still complains because it's looking for it on the external sd card.

Unless I'm missing something I couldn't get your method to work. Also once I did rename it and put it on the external card, I still end up with a desktop full of my app shortcuts and data intact which implies either that this method doesn't clear data or it hasn't worked.

Would appreciate some clarification, I'm fully prepared to accept I've done something stupid but so far I've not been successful following the above.

Sorry meant dont use USB memory sticks. Will clarify in OP, thanks for pointing that out!
You have to make sure the files are named correctly and in the ROOT directory, not the root of the internal SD, these locations are different. You can not use the stock file browser, you have to use a different one like Root Explorer or otherwise.

Hopefully this clears things up.

Reactions: louiscar

edrodata

Jun 10, 2012
Same results after I removed password. Sick android icon, restart says "Firmware Update; Update failed; Your device will recover to the original configuration; Ok".

OTA Rootkeeper says device rooted.

I also checked that USB debugging was off, and that Unknown sources was off. So there shouldn't be anything significant that is non-original, I would think. Other than a complete wipe I'm not sure what else to do. I'd really rather not wipe.

Edro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, From now on if i see people asking how to update / how to keep root im going to link you to this thread, im tired of answering it.

This works if you are on STOCK RECOVERY. If you are unlocked there are lots of other options for you (such as flashing a rooted kernel) so go to development and find that. Since im not unlocked i had to do it the hard way. This method works if your OTA updates are screwed up. If you HAVE OTA updates you can just use OTA rootkeeper to backup and disable root, make sure all stock apps are restored, and proceed with root.

Note for the updater: The OTA updater is a DIFFERENCE updater, if files are missing or different versions the update will fail. Best practices say to update sequentially, never skip an update. It might not cause problems now but could cause problems in the future.

If your OTA updates have failed or for whatever reason you can not get OTA's, you have a LOCKED bootloader, or for whatever reason want to manually update and keep root then this guide is for you. Also please note the process for going from .16 to .18 is the same as going from .30 to .16.

First: Make sure you have all stock apps restored, no custom build.prop, etc.
    If your not sure, wipe the tablet and reinstall. Better safe than sorry.

To reset the tablet if you dont have stock apps:
    Determine which version you are running. For me it was .30WW
    Go to www.asus.com and download the firmware for your version
    plug your tablet into the usb on your computer, unzip the firmware and put it in the root of your tablet (Dont use USB memory sticks or SD cards, just transfer it directly)
    restart your tablet, it SHOULD load the file and go about resetting the tablet to stock.
    If that does not work, try starting the tablet holding power and volume down, on the splash screen press volume up and reset the tablet that way.
    Once your tablet is returned to stock you can proceed.

Make sure you are ROOTED. Use whatever method works for you.
    Now would be a good time to make sure superuser is updated, mine was old so a quick update on the market and its all good.
    Use OTA Rootkeeper to backup root
    Download the DLPKG file apropriate for your version.

If you want to update to JB you must have .30 installed and download the .16 file, WW or US, depending on your region. Other packages are provided for convenience (This method can be used to spoof the OTA update to any version as long as you have the file)

DLPKG for .26 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .30 WW HERE
    DLPKG for .16 WW HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .16 US HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 WW HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for .18 US HERE or HERE
    (Make sure you only take the file for the version you want to update to, only one step at a time, so if you are on .30 WW you need .16WW before you can do .18WW)
    DLPKG for US .20 HERE
    DLPKG for WW .20 HERE
    DLPKG for US .23 HERE or HERE or HERE or HERE
    DLPKG for WW .23 HERE
    DLPKG for .25 WW HERE

You will also need the command file HERE or HERE

Transfer the files to your tablet using the USB cable.
    If you use a USB memory stick or SD card make sure its formatted FAT32.
    Please note there have been reported problems with people using USB memory sticks or SD cards, often the files fail. I have had best success using the USB cable provided with my tablet and directly transferring the file. YMMV.
    Once the files are on the tablet use Root Explorer or your favorite root file browser to move the two files
    (NOT THE STOCK FILE BROWSER IT CANT SEE THE ROOT DIRECTORY)
    "command" goes to /cache/recovery
    "dlpkgfile" goes to /cache

Make sure the files are named exactly as shown above. No capitals, no file extensions, etc.
    Make sure the permissions for both files are changed to RW-R-R for both.
    Note: There has been a little confusion about "root directory" so i will explain a little further. The root directory is generally protected. You will have to be rooted (by definition, having root access, kind of like administrator access in windows) and use a file browser like root explorer. The stock file browser only lets you see a few specific areas and will not let you access the root directory of the tablet. Root explorer will also let you modify permissions which the stock browser will not let you do. Im sure there are other browser applications that work equally well as root explorer, thats just the one i have had success with. As always, Your Milage May Vary.

Go into OTA Rootkeeper and TEMP UNROOT.
    Shut down the tablet. Remove the USB cord. Remove any USB memory sticks. Eject your Micro SD card. UNdock the tablet. Lets not let anything go to chance.
    Press and hold both the power and volume down buttons (volume down is closest to the power button in case you forgot like me)
    Soon as the splash screen comes up you should see some text on the left side, release the power and volume down buttons and press volume up.
    Now just sit back and wait, this can take a while. I got myself a snack and took this time to stretch a little.
    Once your all booted up you should be running JellyBean. Open OTA Rootkeeper and restore root.

Please note i did not come up with the steps in this guide. I did not originate the files. I am nowhere near smart enough to do all this on my own. I meerly collected the information and links to files and pieced it all together. I wrote this so even my father could follow these instructions so hopefully you all succeed! If something needs clarification please let me know.

- Edit -
    Added notes on restoring tablet to stock.
    - Edit -
    Added .18 links. Thanks to xcal321 for providing them.
    - Edit -
    Cleaned up the guide a little. Hopefully its less wordy and easier to follow.
    - Edit -
    Added links to my personal google drive for nearly all the files, should have no problem for overseas users with limited access to mediafire :)
    - Edit -
    Sorry it took so long, added files for .20 US and WW. Will copy them to my personal Gdrive when i have more time.
    - Edit -
    Still alive, added .25 WW. Nearly all the files are uploaded to my personal google docs account so if something goes screwy let me know via PM
    OK, got the file. Confirmed 9.4.5.30 --> 10.4.4.25 Direct update.

Note: This is for US Eepad only!!!!

Uploading it now to my MF and 4Shared accts (MF is no longer paid, until I can scrounge up $$$, so I'll link both sites here - hopefully you'll be able to get it from at least one of them.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

4Shared: http://www.4shared.com/zip/EjS5f1jE/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_.html

MF: http://www.mediafire.com/file/rtl34vg63e3sdee/US_epad_user_9_4_5_30_to_10_4_4_25_dlpkg.zip
    How can I get the dlpkgfile Version 10.4.4.23 WW?

Isn't it possible to receive the files regular via OTA from Asus step by step?

Right here bro!
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ausece6a7246wci
    dlpkg batch file

did anyone else write a batchfile to semi-automate the dlpkg update?
    below are the commands i put in a batchfile. I created it initially because i had to downgrade to ICS to root then upgraded all the way. I was tired of typing in the commands.
    Note there are 2 batches, the SDcard location changed when it updates to JB.
    Hope it helps

------ ICS Commands:
    adb push command /sdcard/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /sdcard/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /sdcard/command
    adb shell rm /sdcard/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"

------- Jelly Bean Commands:
    adb push command /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb push dlpkgfile /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/command > /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "cat /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile > /cache/dlpkgfile"
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/command
    adb shell rm /storage/sdcard0/dlpkgfile
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/recovery/command"
    adb shell su -c "chmod 644 /cache/dlpkgfile"
    That is very helpfull !! Thanks for that !! Just one question: What about if I downgrade to .30 with clean system, root my device, update superuser app, then use OTA Rootkeeper to backup my root, next Temp unroot via OTA Rootkeeper and use upgrade to JB with OTA (not using files that you put above )?? It still works, any ideas ??

Regards
    Doncieslacco

If OTA works for you after that then use OTA. For a large portion of us OTA did not want to work so these are the steps i used. Essentially its the same thing, OTA downloads the same files and puts them in the directories mentioned. Just make sure you do the temp unroot before updating as forgetting to do that step has lost some people root.