[Q] ART with the perks of Gravitybox

Search This thread
Jan 20, 2014
Hi, I've had my nexus 5 for around 2 weeks now and I'm loving it, I've got franco kernel flashed onto it using setcpu having all 4 cores at 2.3ghz most the time as a flawless UI interaction is a must for me.
I'm also running xposed framework with gravity box. Gravity box is the best thing ever! I'm using most it features. However, I really want to use ART for the adding battery life and speed but it is not compatible... So my question is, Is there a way to have all the great features that gravity box provides but also use ART?

railed

Aug 12, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi, I've had my nexus 5 for around 2 weeks now and I'm loving it, I've got franco kernel flashed onto it using setcpu having all 4 cores at 2.3ghz most the time as a flawless UI interaction is a must for me.
I'm also running xposed framework with gravity box. Gravity box is the best thing ever! I'm using most it features. However, I really want to use ART for the adding battery life and speed but it is not compatible... So my question is, Is there a way to have all the great features that gravity box provides but also use ART?

Not that I am aware of... regarding speed: have you tried the Qualcomm Optimizations? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2546120

Jsparta26

Aug 30, 2012
Detroit, MI
Under no circumstances should you even flash those. Those are meant for another device and they certainly do not play nice with Art. Most ROMs are already built with their own optimizations and there's quite a few ROMs have art optimized. Vanir is one that comes off the top of my head. :)

Jsparta26

Aug 30, 2012
Detroit, MI
That seems a little harsh. There's no harm in flashing them.

Hey, that wasn't meant to sound harsh. I'm just speaking from experience . They cause conflicts such as bootloops, some apps won't run and ultimately you can cause your phone not to be able to boot up. Dalvik optimization binaries from another device are usually meant not to work on a different one. ART and dalvik do not mix at all. If you flashed those on top of art or switch to art then you phone won't boot up. I'm just trying to help that's all. ;)

PJcastaldo

Aug 31, 2009
Debary, FL
Hey, that wasn't meant to sound harsh. I'm just speaking from experience . They cause conflicts such as bootloops, some apps won't run and ultimately you can cause your phone not to be able to boot up. Dalvik optimization binaries from another device are usually meant not to work on a different one. ART and dalvik do not mix at all. If you flashed those on top of art or switch to art then you phone won't boot up. I'm just trying to help that's all. ;)

Not sure this is exactly true. Used those optimized dalvik and uses art on my N4 and N5 with non of what you said happening ..where are you getting g your information? I'd like to read into it more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,

There is not a single issue like you describe for the Nexus 5, even on CM based rom (since a few months now, the Nexus 5 thread has been updated), you should read closely the thread before make these kind of statement, see below (and the Nexus 4 FAQ)...
I personnaly tested to flash what you say on different rom and there is no bootloop, take a look at my posts, for example, in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47709067, it's about the Dalvik and Bionic patches for the N5.

Not sure what you have done to have this on the N5 and not sure what you have experimented on the N5, but not that much in my opinion...

:)

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda premium

Last edited:

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
If by Gravity Box u mean you want customizable quick toggles and battery icon like me then you can use Cataclysm rom with ART and those features are built in and it's stock rom (ish)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Under no circumstances should you even flash those. Those are meant for another device and they certainly do not play nice with Art. Most ROMs are already built with their own optimizations and there's quite a few ROMs have art optimized. Vanir is one that comes off the top of my head. :)

Many people are using these optimisations on the N5. They're flashing them from the N5 forum thread though. Obviously the Dalvik does nothing if you're on ART, but the bionic does and works fine. ALthough OP wants to run GravityBox and there is no way to do this using ART so this should makle the device feel more ART like with Dalvik,.

However, Personally I fouind these mods made Battery worse, not better. Just made the device a little snappier, closer to ART.

I prefer Dalvik without these mods.

Jsparta26

Aug 30, 2012
Detroit, MI
Hi,

There is not a single issue like you describe for the Nexus 5, even on CM based rom (since a few months now, the Nexus 5 thread has been updated), you should read closely the thread before make these kind of statement, see below (and the Nexus 4 FAQ)...
I personnaly tested to flash what you say on different rom and there is no bootloop, take a look at my posts, for example, in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47709067, it's about the Dalvik and Bionic patches for the N5.

Not sure what you have done to have this on the N5 and not sure what you have experimented on the N5, but not that much in my opinion...

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda premium

OK download grand theft auto San Andreas with those bionic and dalvik files flashed and see if you can play it. It will force close. Like I I said. I wouldn't post this if this didn't happen to me. I flashed those on top of my cm ROM and that's what happened. Yes I hold true to my statement. You guys can flash whatever you want but I'm just saying from experience. Its my opinion but they aren't even necessary. I mean I see these warnings about gravity box and these files that the op states not flash on top using art or use. We all have our opinions. Please by all means flash away. I did take a look at it. It says flash only the bionic part if you plan on using art. So yeah I believe that flashing both the files and switching to art can cause the non boots and some apps not to run.

So my bad. I'm going on info that was a week old. January 8th which nearly two weeks ago. BTW bionic only makes math algorithms faster. Honestly you cannot seriously tell me these are 100% proof to work with no issues.

Last edited:
H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

@ Jsparta26, GTA San Andreas is working with these patches and Dalvik runtime, see feedback in the thread I linked...

Sorry but maybe there is something else (another mod or...) in your side...

Last edited:

Jsparta26

Aug 30, 2012
Detroit, MI
@ Jsparta26, GTA San Andreas is working with these patches and Dalvik runtime, see feedback in the thread I linked...

Sorry but maybe there is something else (another mod or...) in your side...

Ok. Its weird. I don't have any mods flashed. Just the ROM. The pa gapps, Franco kernel and these files. I'll see what I did. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

PJcastaldo

Aug 31, 2009
Debary, FL
To answer the OP question. You can flash a rom that has built in customizations that will work on ART. However Gravity Box and other mods that use the framework will not work on Art.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Ok. Its weird. I don't have any mods flashed. Just the ROM. The pa gapps, Franco kernel and these files. I'll see what I did. Thanks guys.

So.. all of the imminent death to my phone by using these dalvik and Bionic libraries was just because you couldn't play a game so that's what you assumed?

Jan 20, 2014
To answer the OP question. You can flash a rom that has built in customizations that will work on ART. However Gravity Box and other mods that use the framework will not work on Art.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

So.. all of the imminent death to my phone by using these dalvik and Bionic libraries was just because you couldn't play a game so that's what you assumed?

Cheers, I think this may be the best solution. I've been told Cataclysm has all the same features as gravity box and works with ART so I'm going to try that out, I'll let you know how it is.

b.spec

Dec 12, 2012
Cheers, I think this may be the best solution. I've been told Cataclysm has all the same features as gravity box and works with ART so I'm going to try that out, I'll let you know how it is.
Gravity Box and Cataclysm don't have the SAME features, although there are many that do overlap. Their respective threads have a good rundown of the features they provide, so I'd take a look and compare. Using Cataclysm is a good compromise if you want to take advantage of ART. But I've said this before, the advantages that ART brings outweighs the additional features of Gravity Box in my opinion.

Jan 20, 2014
Gravity Box and Cataclysm don't have the SAME features, although there are many that do overlap. Their respective threads have a good rundown of the features they provide, so I'd take a look and compare. Using Cataclysm is a good compromise if you want to take advantage of ART. But I've said this before, the advantages that ART brings outweighs the additional features of Gravity Box in my opinion.

I've removed xposed framework and installed cataclysm now, i'm loving how snappy the interface is with ART i don't know how i ever lived without it! Although i am a bit annoyed that i've lost some of my apps, tried to use helium backuper but it didn't let me restore my apps... Guess i'll just have to re-download monopoly, and start from scratch on candy crush! I would say there's only two things i miss from gravity box that cataclysm doesn't provide, that is the download speed on the status bar (although you can see it in the toggles) and having my volume down enable flash light on lockscreen.

PJcastaldo

Aug 31, 2009
Debary, FL
To be honest.. ART isn't really that fast compared to the dalvik runtime. Granted its 100% perception and opinion.

To me the extremely small performance jump you gain isn't worth the loss of some apps or features. I see it as when it ready to be used it will be default and the ONLY reason its even there now is for developers to get their apps ready.