[Q] Bluetooth on Nook Tablet

Search This thread

petergrfn

Dec 2, 2011
San Jose
I have a nook color and I currently use it as my primary in-dash Navigation using external GPS receiver and bluetooth gps provider.

I recently got a nook tablet, Since there is no CM build for this one, Wondering is there is any way to get the bluetooth working?

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
I have a nook color and I currently use it as my primary in-dash Navigation using external GPS receiver and bluetooth gps provider.

I recently got a nook tablet, Since there is no CM build for this one, Wondering is there is any way to get the bluetooth working?

Not right now, no. There are the files but the issue is that we don't have a way to activate it *I think we might need atleast a kernel module.

Reactions: petergrfn

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
External GPS?

I have a "spare" Nook Color, and would like to do what you do. Questions:
  1. What "external GPS receiver and bluetooth gps provider" do you use?
  2. I assume you are using a CM7 build to enable GPS, correct?
  3. Do you know of a bluetooth solution that runs on the B&N v1.3 software?
  4. What navigation program are you using? I have a friend running Co-Pilot (on an Acer A500), but despite his claim that it almost never crashes, every time I'm in his car and he lets me fiddle with it, it crashes.

Last edited:

petergrfn

Dec 2, 2011
San Jose
  4. What navigation program are you using? I have a friend running Co-Pilot (on an Acer A500), but despite his claim that it almost never crashes, every time I'm in his car and he lets me fiddle with it, it crashes.

@DeanGibson

I currently use Qstarz BT-Q818 66-Channel Bluetooth GPS Receiver (Look it up on Amazon, Its little pricey and overkill for navigation. But very very very accurate, fast and weeks worth of battery)

Yes I am using CM 7 Stable version

Bluetooth on B&N software: No . There is no way to detect hardware under stock settings. I don't think they have drivers installed in stock version.

I am using Co-pilot. I also tested route 66. Both are reasonably stable. I never had crashes. But sometimes bluetooth goes into sleep and won't return. All I need to do is toggle off and on bluetooth.

Reactions: DeanGibson

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
More questions ...

@DeanGibson

I currently use Qstarz BT-Q818 66-Channel Bluetooth GPS Receiver (Look it up on Amazon, Its little pricey and overkill for navigation. But very very very accurate, fast and weeks worth of battery)

Yes I am using CM 7 Stable version.

What have you found to be the max reliable bluetooth range for the Nook in this configuration?

Also, I can't tell from the pictures how it mounts. Does it have a visor clip?

Last edited:

petergrfn

Dec 2, 2011
San Jose
What have you found to be the max reliable bluetooth range for the Nook in this configuration?

I tested only upto 1.5 meter so far with no issues. I didn't get chance to test to fail for bluetooth range.

I have a small compartment on top of dash board. I just left it in there. No visor clip or adhesive strips(it doesn't come with any). Based on my testing, it works fine without direct view to sky, then i guess it may use up more juice.

Be sure to use BN 2 amp car charger/compatible for quick charging in car. Other car chargers also work.. But your drain rate is more than charge rate when display is on.

Reactions: DeanGibson

ccl13

Jul 16, 2007
Adelaide

I would say on most of my mobiles with BT, I can use my BT headset within 10meter of direct sight. Some of them is better when there are walls between but varies a little.

I don't know about visor clips sorry.

xshawk

May 1, 2008
San Diego
Nook color Bluetooth range is way less than normal mobile

Ccl13, the nook color was not intended to use Bluetooth so the hardware is not optimized for it... The best I managed was just over 2 ft.

On my phone or my iPad I get at least 10ft usually more depending on line of sight and what is in the way. (at one point I was listening to a podcast from 40ft before my headset lost connection.

pdahiker

Dec 22, 2006
Northern California
I've had really good range using a Bluetooth keyboard (I use the Zippy BT-500). I tested it to about 25 feet indoors. Running CM7 now but before that Phiremod with same BT range.

randallburns

Mar 18, 2012
VERY interested in Bluetooth Keyboard for Nook Tablet

I own an 8GB nook tablet. I'm greatly enjoy using it as a reader-but having a real keyboard would make the whole package much, much nicer.

I hope this is available fairly soon-I would appreciate any leads folks have.

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Moved To Q&A

This thread was missed when the Q&A section was opened​

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not right now, no. There are the files but the issue is that we don't have a way to activate it *I think we might need atleast a kernel module.

@DeanGibson

Yes I am using CM 7 Stable version

Bluetooth on B&N software: No . There is no way to detect hardware under stock settings. I don't think they have drivers installed in stock version.

I am using Co-pilot. I also tested route 66. Both are reasonably stable. I never had crashes. But sometimes bluetooth goes into sleep and won't return. All I need to do is toggle off and on bluetooth.

I tested only upto 1.5 meter so far with no issues. I didn't get chance to test to fail for bluetooth range.

I have a small compartment on top of dash board. I just left it in there. No visor clip or adhesive strips(it doesn't come with any). Based on my testing, it works fine without direct view to sky, then i guess it may use up more juice.

Be sure to use BN 2 amp car charger/compatible for quick charging in car. Other car chargers also work.. But your drain rate is more than charge rate when display is on.