[Q] Well, how should i start

Search This thread

mattish.91

May 24, 2010
Stockholm
www.mspot.nu
I have been thinking about something for a while now and might actually try to give it a shot.

I have a need to understand development for android and wanted to try to build my own rom.
I were thinking of starting of with CM and understand what it really is about and how to actually build it to work with my xperia z2 tablet (castor) and then maybe advance to try building ubuntu touch from sources and of what i have read this is only possible with a kernel based on cm

So first of what programming languages do i need to learn to understand the source? Java?

I have been programming alot of HTML, CSS, and some PHP, XML and LUA and can understand some JavaScript and in some rare cases c++
I also have some basic knowledge in MySQL databases but don't really know how that would be handy in this scenario ^^

Is there any basic rules to follow or should i just asume "learning by doing" like i have done with everything else i have learned? ^^

Excited (sorry for any bad English, Swedish autocorrect ftw xD)

Last edited:

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
Rule No.1:

First of all you should have an idea WHY you want to make a custom ROM - which features or tweaks do you want it to have?

Otherwise it won't make much sense (except a little exercise for yourself)...