Sound problem

Search This thread

gitah

Aug 24, 2011
Hi,

Yesterday, my gTablet had some strange issues with sound. When I push the buttons to change the volume, I can only hear "Puck, puck, puck...". If I go to the volume settings and change the volume there, I can hear the test sound. I found later that I could only hear sounds coming from the system ( notification, ringtone, etc. ).

I was using the C&C v6 Rom. I tried to reset factory, reinstall the rom, reformat partition, tried stock rom, FlashBack 8.1, NVFlashed back to latest 1.1 stock rom and then installed VeganTab 5.1 but still no luck. It's also not working when I'm plugging my headphone. When I'm on Flashback, the sounds work but only with a headphone. Any idea on fixing this ? Or is it a hardware defect (I really hope not...) ? What's weird is that I can hear all the Android system sound but not video/music from Youtube or any mediaplayer...

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
Another user had the same issue

Hi,

Yesterday, my gTablet had some strange issues with sound. When I push the buttons to change the volume, I can only hear "Puck, puck, puck...". If I go to the volume settings and change the volume there, I can hear the test sound. I found later that I could only hear sounds coming from the system ( notification, ringtone, etc. ).

I was using the C&C v6 Rom. I tried to reset factory, reinstall the rom, reformat partition, tried stock rom, FlashBack 8.1, NVFlashed back to latest 1.1 stock rom and then installed VeganTab 5.1 but still no luck. It's also not working when I'm plugging my headphone. When I'm on Flashback, the sounds work but only with a headphone. Any idea on fixing this ? Or is it a hardware defect (I really hope not...) ? What's weird is that I can hear all the Android system sound but not video/music from Youtube or any mediaplayer...

Recently worked with another user that had the same problem..could hear notifications, but not music or video audio. The kicker was that he could hear music playing when the gtab goes into sleep mode (try it). Come out of sleep & the sound stops. Also has the same puck, puck, puck as you when you change the volume.

Last heard from him a week ago so I don't know if he got it resolved. He was also on 1.1 branch & it cropped up on him when he nvflashed back to 3588. He was going to try & nvflash to 1.2 branch 4349 & see if it made a difference

gitah

Aug 24, 2011
Recently worked with another user that had the same problem..could hear notifications, but not music or video audio. The kicker was that he could hear music playing when the gtab goes into sleep mode (try it). Come out of sleep & the sound stops. Also has the same puck, puck, puck as you when you change the volume.

Last heard from him a week ago so I don't know if he got it resolved. He was also on 1.1 branch & it cropped up on him when he nvflashed back to 3588. He was going to try & nvflash to 1.2 branch 4349 & see if it made a difference

I tried what you said ( put the gtablet in sleep mode ) and yes I could hear the music playing.

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Interesting problem. Can you get me a logcat and a dmesg output from your system?

1. Reboot the gTab.

2. Once the system boots into the desktop, play with the volume settings (both HW and SW).

3. Then run these commands inside a Terminal Emulator app and attach the output:
Code:
$ [B]su[/B]                                          [I]Become superuser[/I]
# [B]dmesg >/mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt[/B]                [I]Get kernel logs[/I]
# [B]logcat -d -v time >/mnt/sdcard/logcat.txt[/B]   [I]Get Android system logs[/I]

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
I tried what you said ( put the gtablet in sleep mode ) and yes I could hear the music playing.

I got ahold of the other user with the same problem (sk01bim) and he has not resolved his issue either. I consulted with rajeevvp and he suggests capturing dmesg & logcat output to aid in troubleshooting.

See rajeevvp's instructions on the post above.

I'll try to have sk01bim do the same & post them here also.

Al

Last edited:

gitah

Aug 24, 2011
Interesting problem. Can you get me a logcat and a dmesg output from your system?

1. Reboot the gTab.

2. Once the system boots into the desktop, play with the volume settings (both HW and SW).

3. Then run these commands inside a Terminal Emulator app and attach the output:
Code:
$ [B]su[/B]                                          [I]Become superuser[/I]
# [B]dmesg >/mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt[/B]                [I]Get kernel logs[/I]
# [B]logcat -d -v time >/mnt/sdcard/logcat.txt[/B]   [I]Get Android system logs[/I]

Here is a archive containing the two files ( files were too big so I had to zip them ) . Thank you for looking into this problem :)

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    36.2 KB · Views: 7

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Here is a archive containing the two files ( files were too big so I had to zip them ) . Thank you for looking into this problem :)
Wow! There are so many NAND flash-related errors in that dmesg.txt file that most of the relevant messages were ditched (the kernel keeps a fixed sized buffer for messages and old messages are discarded). Try getting me a dmesg while in ClockworkMod. It has a different kernel:
Code:
C:\> [B]adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt[/B]
I don't know if your NAND flash errors are causing your sound problems. We may have to fix them (if possible). However, try this first: Disable bluetooth, unplug wired headphones, then reboot the tablet and check sound. If there is still no sound, kill the abtfilt program if it's running and then check the sound again.

In a Terminal Emulator window:
Code:
$ [B]su[/B]                                   [I]Become superuser[/I]
# [B]kill -9 $(busybox pidof abtfilt)[/B]     [I]Kill abtfilt[/I]
# [B]/system/bin/ps | fgrep abtfilt[/B]       [I]Check that it died[/I]
#                                      [I]No output means it did[/I]

gitah

Aug 24, 2011
Wow! There are so many NAND flash-related errors in that dmesg.txt file that most of the relevant messages were ditched (the kernel keeps a fixed sized buffer for messages and old messages are discarded). Try getting me a dmesg while in ClockworkMod. It has a different kernel:
Code:
C:\> [B]adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt[/B]
I don't know if your NAND flash errors are causing your sound problems. We may have to fix them (if possible). However, try this first: Disable bluetooth, unplug wired headphones, then reboot the tablet and check sound. If there is still no sound, kill the abtfilt program if it's running and then check the sound again.

In a Terminal Emulator window:
Code:
$ [B]su[/B]                                   [I]Become superuser[/I]
# [B]kill -9 $(busybox pidof abtfilt)[/B]     [I]Kill abtfilt[/I]
# [B]/system/bin/ps | fgrep abtfilt[/B]       [I]Check that it died[/I]
#                                      [I]No output means it did[/I]

Hmm...sorry but how do I do a dmesg while in CWM ? I tried to go to recovery then use adb but it couldn't find my device.

Also, my bluetooth wasn't on and I tried to kill abtfilt but it says that there's no such process.

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Okay here's the dmesg while in CWM.
No errors from the CWM kernel. We'll have to try the ROM kernel again--possibly a different one--to get the error messages (if any)... but, for the time being, do a quick test:

Remove the external SD card from its slot, power on the gTab and see if media playback comes back.

gitah

Aug 24, 2011
Ok...I just installed GHarmony for 1.2 bootloader and still no sound. BUT ! I tried something for the lulz, I ticked the Silent mode in the sound menu and guess what ? I get sound from Youtube... -.- If I untick the Silent mode, I get no sound...

I attached the logcat and dmesg when on Calkulin's rom and when on GHarmony. I tried to do the trick on Calkulin's Rom but it didn't work so I went back to GHarmony.

Attachments

• Calkulin.zip
    25.6 KB · Views: 8
  • GHarmony.zip
    23.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: rajeevvp

gitah

Aug 24, 2011
Ughh...Now my trick is not working anymore and I DON'T why ?! I only installed the GAPPS for GHarmony and now whatever I set in the volume settings, I get no sound... I guess that the only thing to do now is to use Flashback 8.1 with headphones until something comes out of this :'(

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Ughh...Now my trick is not working anymore and I DON'T why ?! I only installed the GAPPS for GHarmony and now whatever I set in the volume settings, I get no sound... I guess that the only thing to do now is to use Flashback 8.1 with headphones until something comes out of this :'(
I installed GHarmony yesterday, but, could not reproduce your problem. I can't even see any error messages from the kernel, so I don't know where your problem lies: HW, or SW (kernel or ROM).

The only problem that I did find in your kernel messages is that you have an unreadable bad block on your system partition. So, format just the system partition and reload the ROM of your choice. This should keep all your data intact.

Have the ROM of your choice ready on your SD card, put the gTab into APX mode, then fire up nvflash and format only the system partition (called APP in nvflash). After this boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you want. You can also wipe the system partition while inside CWM using a
Code:
C:\> [B]adb shell erase_image system[/B]
command, but, I'm operating under the assumption that nvflash might do a more thorough job "fixing" non-factory-marked bad blocks.

Code:
C:\> [B]nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --format_partition 11 --go[/B]
You can use whatever bootloader.bin you want (1.1 or 1.2) as long as it is for the gTablet--it is not stored on the NAND flash when you run it with "--bl ...".

gitah

Aug 24, 2011
See this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17926964&postcount=3. This user says he fixed his by opening & moving one of the speaker wires away from a contact on the board. Worth considering.

Looks like a great solution. I will still try to format my gtablet and see if it works. If not, I'm going to open it. I have a question about your solution. You say that the sound works when the screen is off because there is no current. How comes that the notification sounds still work even with the screen on? Anyway, it fix the problem, I will try it :)

aabbondanza

Jun 20, 2011
Goldsboro
Looks like a great solution. I will still try to format my gtablet and see if it works. If not, I'm going to open it. I have a question about your solution. You say that the sound works when the screen is off because there is no current. How comes that the notification sounds still work even with the screen on? Anyway, it fix the problem, I will try it :)

You should definitely do rajeevvp's format suggestion since you are getting the unreadable block errors.

I was skeptical when I read the post (and even more skeptical as to why the user said it worked, but hey, stranger things have happened). I don't have the problem & I didn't say I had an explantation as to why it worked for this user. All I did was see the post & thought it was worth a try for you. If you want an answer you'll have to go to the post & ask the user.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok...I just installed GHarmony for 1.2 bootloader and still no sound. BUT ! I tried something for the lulz, I ticked the Silent mode in the sound menu and guess what ? I get sound from Youtube... -.- If I untick the Silent mode, I get no sound...

I attached the logcat and dmesg when on Calkulin's rom and when on GHarmony. I tried to do the trick on Calkulin's Rom but it didn't work so I went back to GHarmony.