[Q] battery drain in standby, and Google play service problem

Search This thread

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
so I decided to charge my phone fully then leave it alone for 12 hours to see the standby drain, and This morning when I took a look and I was pretty disappointed. I attached pics, but as you can see, 12 hours of standby and 30 percent of my battery is gone. wtf? another time I did this a week ago with only 8 hours of standby, it drained 20 percent, which if scaled to 12 hours will become 30 percent. Why is the drain so high? Google play services is at the top of the list, and even with normal use it takes about 10 plus percent of my battery. my friends nexus 4, with basically the same apps I have (fb, messenger, Chrome, snapchat, bbm, etc) only had 10 percent after 12 hours. both our phones have the battery saving location enabled, radios on, but the only difference is that he wasn't connected to WiFi and I was. any suggestions? And yes I've looked around on the Internet at other people having the same problem and I still haven't found a fix

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
Lol sorry I forgot to add the pics in the first post

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-25-16-01-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-25-16-01-14.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 529

spitefulcheerio

Apr 23, 2011
Tallahassee
It's the WiFi. I had the really bad battery drain issue while connected to WiFi after the 4.4.2 update. I lost about 30% of charge after 4ish hours while connected. Currently I'm at 92% after 3 hours.

Try disconnecting from WiFi and redoing your test!

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
It's the WiFi. I had the really bad battery drain issue while connected to WiFi after the 4.4.2 update. I lost about 30% of charge after 4ish hours while connected. Currently I'm at 92% after 3 hours.

Try disconnecting from WiFi and redoing your test!

oh wow, that might be my problem then. thanks a lot, I'll redo the test and see what happens, thanks :)

WillPoz

Jul 13, 2012
I haven't used WiFi at all today, my phone had been unplugged since 6 am and at 1pm today it's down to 57 percent. I have hardly used my phone today and the play services are killing it.

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
I think WiFi was my issue actually, I have kept it off all day and after 2.5ish hours I'm down to 72 percent battery, with an hour of screen on and using Google search quite a bit. the screenshot has screen and Google search at the top, Google play services hasn't been up in double digits at all :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-27-15-08-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-27-15-08-06.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 309

George_Mn

Dec 24, 2012
Bonn, Germany
I think WiFi was my issue actually, I have kept it off all day and after 2.5ish hours I'm down to 72 percent battery, with an hour of screen on and using Google search quite a bit. the screenshot has screen and Google search at the top, Google play services hasn't been up in double digits at all :D

On your first screenshot Google play services consumed 34% out of 30% of your total battery loss, which is approx. 10% of your full charge. Within 12 hours this would be a 0.85% battery drain per hour because of gp services.

I did the math again for the second screenshot and Googe Play services consumed 0.7% per hour.

Doesn't feel like a big difference for me. If the time was actually less than 2.5 hours the drain could be equal.

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
On your first screenshot Google play services consumed 34% out of 30% of your total battery loss, which is approx. 10% of your full charge. Within 12 hours this would be a 0.85% battery drain per hour because of gp services.

I did the math again for the second screenshot and Googe Play services consumed 0.7% per hour.

Doesn't feel like a big difference for me. If the time was actually less than 2.5 hours the drain could be equal.

oh, well this is disappointing. that's so stupid, what is Google play services even for? and why does it have like an hour of keep awake time??

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
but then won't Google now not work anymore?

Google Now will still function. It just will not show cards based on location. Also when you disable or semi disable location sometimes Search start's keeping you're phone awake trying to find some location information. If this happens just force stop Google search or reboot the phone.

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
Google Now will still function. It just will not show cards based on location. Also when you disable or semi disable location sometimes Search start's keeping you're phone awake trying to find some location information. If this happens just force stop Google search or reboot the phone.

oh ok, so like the weather card won't work? what about commute time to home? I'm guessing that won't work either right?

but anyway thanks for the help!

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
oh ok, so like the weather card won't work? what about commute time to home? I'm guessing that won't work either right?

but anyway thanks for the help!

Weather will still work you just need to input you're location into the card settings manually. I used that for a while but it consistently wakes the phone to update it which annoyed me so I use Dashclock as it only updates when I turn the screen on.

Without Locations it will still grab information from the net about your searches, sports teams, stocks etc. It will no longer show you commutes, local picture spots etc.

I've kept Google Now on mainly so I can still set and receive reminders but don't want to tolerate any unnecessary wakes when the screen is off and have accomplished that now.

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
Weather will still work you just need to input you're location into the card settings manually. I used that for a while but it consistently wakes the phone to update it which annoyed me so I use Dashclock as it only updates when I turn the screen on.

Without Locations it will still grab information from the net about your searches, sports teams, stocks etc. It will no longer show you commutes, local picture spots etc.

I've kept Google Now on mainly so I can still set and receive reminders but don't want to tolerate any unnecessary wakes when the screen is off and have accomplished that now.

oh man, Idk il have to see how that works, cuz I use Google now a lot. but I'll try it, thanks again :)

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
Go to Settings->Location->Google Location Reporting and set both to Off => no more battery drain

Not necessary to go that extreme.
I had the same issue as you guys after upgrading. Goto Settings->App->All
Select Google play services. Stop it. And clean data (All, including cache)
Reboot. And voila, it will consume much much less battery (Dont ask me why... Probably some conflict arising on the data file after upgrade)
On a side note, without completely disabling data location, it is worth switching to the battery friendly mode (Location will be evaluated using the network and not the GPS)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
Not necessary to go that extreme.
I had the same issue as you guys after upgrading. Goto Settings->App->All
Select Google play services. Stop it. And clean data (All, including cache)
Reboot. And voila, it will consume much much less battery (Dont ask me why... Probably some conflict arising on the data file after upgrade)
On a side note, without completely disabling data location, it is worth switching to the battery friendly mode (Location will be evaluated using the network and not the GPS)

just tried that, I'll see what happens. what's this though, when I want to disable it I get this pop-up. I get it with all system apps, but the last line I've never seen before

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-29-20-05-55.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-29-20-05-55.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 244

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
Dont disable it. Stop it and wipe data

I wasn't going to disable it, I was just wondering what would happen if I did :p

also here are my stats from today, what is android system and android os? why are they draining so much battery? also why is Swype using so much battery?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-29-20-13-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-29-20-13-55.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Screenshot_2013-12-29-20-13-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-29-20-13-59.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 184

icy4phone

Dec 3, 2011
Los Angeles
Researched this a lot, found some solutions, bad and good fixes and after trying some different twists on it after two days this is what I found to be the best, and I decided since this is just as bad as 4.0/4.1 and the mediaserver battery drain I might as well try and help at least 1 person by mass posting this reply I wrote else where to other threads, so here you go:

"Hey- I don't know if you, or anyone else has found a working solution, but here is the way I found best:
Note- I am on galaxy s4 [sgh-i337] running a 4.4 KitKat rom. I have found the following work around to work best for me:

1 Google now & Hotword detection=OFF,
2 GPS = OFF and turned on only when needed, eg maps/checkin on facebook/whatever needs location.
3 Settings-> Manage Apps -> Google Play Services -> Manage Space -> Clear All Data.

**Optional:After this [root only] I go into KT tweaker and make sure my phone cpu is set to a max of 810 Mhz when screen off.**

This fix usually works until I reset the phone. I ALWAYS follow those 3 steps when rebooting. AND always check that after I've used GPS that Google Play Services isn't keeping my phone awake. [Eg, after 30 minutes I check if the phone ever went to sleep again when the screen was off.] IF it does act up, I repeat steps 1, 2 &3. I still get notifications and all, and this is the least feature disabling way I've found that works with the cost of a little micro-management of your phone.

With this fix I can idle for an estimated 5-6days. As I take off my phone from charge at 8am and at noon with minimal usage [maybe 4 or 5 texts] I am at 97%. With WiFi on & connected.

OTHER: I personally keep NFC&Android beam&Bluetooth OFF, and turn ON when I need it on. Other- WiFi is always ON, and "Scanning Always Available" EDIT: Now is OFF, "WiFi Optimization" is checked ON for me. And for location mode when I do have it on, I keep it at EDIT: Device only. Using only gps to find my location.

All in all, I hope this gets fixed."

I can post screen shots and all if somebody wants them or if there is need for one
-icy

Last edited:
Reactions: Xave1 and gbarayah

NuckFuggets

Jun 25, 2011
Researched this a lot, found some solutions, bad and good fixes and after trying some different twists on it after two days this is what I found to be the best, and I decided since this is just as bad as 4.0/4.1 and the mediaserver battery drain I might as well try and help at least 1 person by mass posting this reply I wrote else where to other threads, so here you go:

"Hey- I don't know if you, or anyone else has found a working solution, but here is the way I found best:
Note- I am on galaxy s4 [sgh-i337] running a 4.4 KitKat rom. I have found the following work around to work best for me:

2 GPS = OFF and turned on only when needed, eg maps/checkin on facebook/whatever needs location.
3 Settings-> Manage Apps -> Google Play Services -> Manage Space -> Clear All Data.

**Optional:After this [root only] I go into KT tweaker and make sure my phone cpu is set to a max of 810 Mhz when screen off.**

This fix usually works until I reset the phone. I ALWAYS follow those 3 steps when rebooting. AND always check that after I've used GPS that Google Play Services isn't keeping my phone awake. [Eg, after 30 minutes I check if the phone ever went to sleep again when the screen was off.] IF it does act up, I repeat steps 1, 2 &3. I still get notifications and all, and this is the least feature disabling way I've found that works with the cost of a little micro-management of your phone.

With this fix I can idle for an estimated 5-6days. As I take off my phone from charge at 8am and at noon with minimal usage [maybe 4 or 5 texts] I am at 97%. With WiFi on & connected.

OTHER: I personally keep NFC&Android beam&Bluetooth OFF, and turn ON when I need it on. Other- WiFi is always ON, and "Scanning Always Available" & "WiFi Optimization" is checked ON for me. And for location mode when I do have it on, I keep it at EDIT: Device only. Using only gps to find my location.

I can post screen shots and all if somebody wants them or if there is need for one
-icy

thanks! but wow i wish my battery would be that good. i actually did so,ething else, i turned off the location reporting like someone earlier said and google play services dont even show up anymore. using device only disables location reporting as well so they both should have similar improvements.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OTHER: I personally keep NFC&Android beam&Bluetooth OFF, and turn ON when I need it on. Other- WiFi is always ON, and "Scanning Always Available" EDIT: Now is OFF, "WiFi Optimization" is checked ON for me. And for location mode when I do have it on, I keep it at EDIT: Device only. Using only gps to find my location.

-icy
    What is location reporting supposed to be doing?

Sent from my Nexus 5

In short, Google's way of knowing everything about us. In some distant or not so distant future Google will be the matrix that harvests us for energy as humans and keeps us in a false virtual trance. Think about it. Why did they buy that one robotics company for themselves this Christmas?!

Below are my battery results after 24 hours if people were curious. Note, idk why WiFi is "on" the entire time. For a good 4pm-11pm I was out. WiFi off.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
    In short, Google's way of knowing everything about us. In some distant or not so distant future Google will be the matrix that harvests us for energy as humans and keeps us in a false virtual trance. Think about it. Why did they buy that one robotics company for themselves this Christmas?!

Below are my battery results after 24 hours if people were curious. Note, idk why WiFi is "on" the entire time. For a good 4pm-11pm I was out. WiFi off.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Looks like you have WiFi always scanning turned on. Allows Google to continue polling all nearby WiFi locations even if you have wifi off and a huge battery drain.

What is location reporting supposed to be doing?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Location reporting is what apps will use to find where you're current location is.
    Ok guys sorry for double post...new version pushed out that promises battery improvement http://android-developers.blogspot.it/2014/01/google-play-services-41.html
    i have the 4.0 then if someone can report if my method works!
    Oh and if someone has yet the new version can you report if the battery consuption is better?
    How do you install it? Do you have to uninstall 4.0 first? Also, is this an end-user push that we would eventually get through an update? Thanks

Well you probably misunderstood me... My method was with the old version of Google play services... However for updating them if you didn't receive the update you can download the apk from the Web and install it manually!

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk