[How To] Root

Search This thread

blackjackboy

Feb 4, 2010
All of them.
TGA_Gunnman created a one click root that new users will want to use, said thread is a sticky in Captivate Development. If you still want to use the old method (and install ADB) please use this one.

I followed my own guide! This works perfectly if you read everything and follow the instructions.

Also: once you are rooted, be EXTREMELY careful! Half of the new threads are people who have screwed up their phones by deleting this or corrupting that. Please, for the sanity of all of the devs and Android veterans, make backups and just be all around careful. Almost all problems that anyone has had are repareable AND PREVENTABLE with a little reading and care. Just to clarify, rooting does not automatically enable sideloading. Please follow http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=738376 to enable sideloading.

Follow these steps exactly and there will be no risk of bricking your Captivate, the worst that may happen is the phone rejecting the update.zip.

HOWEVER:

I take no responsibility if ANYTHING at all happens to your device that you don't like. Don't come crying to me if your brand new phone breaks in any way. Your warranty is also void, but you could have figured that out for yourself.

Now that that's over with, lets get to the fun bit. If you are on Windows, you can follow this procedure, or for TGA_Gunnman's one click root program (only on Windows), you can go ahead and skip to the bottom.

1) You may need Samsung drivers if you are on a PC, which you can learn about here: ADB Drivers at the Unlockr
For 64 bit Windows, you'll need these drivers: http://zedomax.com/blog/2010/07/14/s...iver-download/
Don't proceed until your phone is fully installed on Windows with the drivers!

2) Download the attached zip (at the bottom of the post) and rename it to update or update.zip if you are on a Mac. (If you are on a Mac, DO NOT USE SAFARI to download the file, it automatically unzips any zip file. Use Google Chrome or firefox instead.) Scroll down the notification bar and click "mount" to allow your computer to read the internal memory. Put the file on the INTERNAL SD card of the Captivate, which won't be tough to figure out if you don't have an SD card in the phone.

3) EDIT--There is an easier way to get to recovery, but do this step anyway. Turn the phone off, then hold power, volume up and volume down. If you still want the android SDK (which will be very useful throughout your rooted experiences) follow the old procedure:

This step requires the Android SDK, and Android Debugging enabled. You can get the SDK here: Android SDK. Just download the zip, extract it to something like C:\Android. You won't need the Java dev pack or anything.
You can enable Android Debugging like this: From the homescreen, press Menu, then click Settings. Navigate to Applications>Development and check USB Debugging. Now, hook the phone to the computer. Next,
On a PC, click start>run>"cmd" (in the text box) or on a Mac, spotlight "Terminal". Linux users, you know what to do.
The command you will use is in the tools folder of wherever you extracted it to (IE: C:\android\tools), so be sure your working directory of command prompt is in that tools location!
Finally, type:

Code:
adb reboot recovery

4) Once the phone is booted into recovery, use the volume keys on the phone to scroll to "Reinstall packages." Use power to select what you have highlighted.

5) Give yourself a pat on the back. You are now rooted. You should see a Superuser application now.

MD5 Sum: 1eb65923281c113e8751a7d8a6faff43

Last edited:
Reactions: Fife3951

SlimJ87D

Jan 16, 2008
Can we please have more detailed instructions? I don't understand the part where it says "type in the terminal"

I am very new to android as this will be my first Android phone.

Also, after rooting will we be able to install 3rd party applications? Or do we have to do anything else to bypass ATT's restrictions?

blackjackboy

Feb 4, 2010
All of them.
Actually, you'd have to install a custom ROM for that. MoDaCo should be coming out with them pretty soon, and so will XDA. It won't be too long. BTW, once you have ADB installed on your computer, you can sideload apps all you want. The command is
Code:
adb install /directory/of/app/on/computer

caelestis2

Nov 15, 2008
If you cant get it to work on windows, try a ubuntu live cd. All you need to do is go to ubuntu and burn a disc and reboot.

xhalz

Apr 26, 2010
Thanks for this. I am new to smartphones and plan on purchasing the Samsung Galaxy-S, but don't want to mess it up. I am new to editing the OS of any smartphone, but I think if I have a tutorial I will be fine

soul4rent

Feb 19, 2009
For Mac and Linux you put a ./ in front of the adb correct? (./adb install...)

if you are in the directory above yes. the ./ just saves you from writing out the full path

lets say adb is in "/home/user/Downloads/sdk/tools"
you could type out "/home/user/Downloads/sdk/tools/adb command" regardless of where your terminal window was focused
or if you were currently in the directory "/home/user/Downloads/sdk/tools"
you could use the shortcut "./adb command"

TexUs

Jul 1, 2010
OP I'd change your post based on my experiences... Here's a little more detail and I've rearranged it (you need the drivers before running these commands, for example).

Please let me know if this rooting method works as I have no Captivate to test on. I'm not taking any credit for any of these files, LeshaK made the original file to root the European Galaxy S, Justadude modified it for the T-Mobile Vibrant and chaoscentral edited the file for use on the Captivate.

Follow these steps exactly and there will be no risk of bricking your Captivate, the worst that may happen is the phone rejecting the update.zip.

HOWEVER:

I take no responsibility if ANYTHING at all happens to your device that you don't like. Don't come crying to me if your brand new phone breaks in any way.

Now that that's over with, lets get to the fun bit.

1) You may need Samsung drivers if you are on a PC, which you can learn about here: ADB Drivers at the Unlockr
For 64 bit Windows, you'll need these drivers: http://zedomax.com/blog/2010/07/14/...ic-4g-and-fascinate-galaxy-s-driver-download/

2) Download the attached zip (at the bottom of the post) and rename it to update or update.zip if you are on a Mac. Scroll down the notification bar and click "mount" to allow your computer to read the internal memory. Put the file on the INTERNAL SD card of the Captivate, which won't be tough to figure out if you don't have an SD card in the phone.

3) This step requires the Android SDK, and Android Debugging enabled. You can get the SDK here: Android SDK. Just download the zip, extract it to something like C:\Android. You won't need the Java dev pack or anything.
You can enable Android Debugging like this: From the homescreen, press Menu, then click Settings. Navigate to Applications>Development and check USB Debugging. Now, hook the phone to the computer. Next,
On a PC, click start>run>"cmd" (in the text box) or on a Mac, spotlight "Terminal". Linux users, you know what to do.
The command you will use is in the tools folder of wherever you extracted it to (IE: C:\android\tools), so be sure your working directory of command prompt is in that tools location!
Finally, type:
Code:
adb reboot recovery

4) Once the phone is booted into recovery, use the volume keys on the phone to scroll to "Reinstall packages." Use power to select what you have highlighted.

5) Give yourself a pat on the back. You are now rooted. You should see a Superuser application now.

Thank you to LeshaK, Justadude, and chaoscentral. Once again, I didn't discover how to root, that credit goes to LeshaK, bringing it over to the USA was Justadude's doing, and chaoscentral edited the file for use on our Captivates.

JacenSolo2001

Mar 17, 2008
Rockwall, TX
Ubuntu 10.04 - adb

Any step by step instructions just to get adb running enough on 10.04 to root and side load software? I'm getting command not found when I try to run adb, even after downloading packages.

M

Muhamadabdelaall

Hi,

Did this thread worked well to Root the Captivate or anyother suggested link? I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks

cellgeek

Dec 24, 2006
Seattle
rerooting captivate

This worked perfectly on my Captivate. I now have the SuperUser Permission on my application screen. Now I can REALLY screw up my Captivate!!!:)

M

Muhamadabdelaall

Thanks for the answer & More Queston

This worked perfectly on my Captivate. I now have the SuperUser Permission on my application screen. Now I can REALLY screw up my Captivate!!!:)

Hi,
Thanks for your helpful answer. As I'm getting my Cativate tomorrow, can you please just answer yes or no to each of my questions as follow ?
After Rooting will I be able to:

1- download any 3rd party Android application?
2- install any "Samsung Galaxy S" ROM on my Captivate?
3- Recieve any "OTA" update as a "Galaxy S" phone?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Drachen

Feb 21, 2006
NYC
Hi,
Thanks for your helpful answer. As I'm getting my Cativate tomorrow, can you please just answer yes or no to each of my questions as follow ?
After Rooting will I be able to:

1- download any 3rd party Android application?
2- install any "Samsung Galaxy S" ROM on my Captivate?
3- Recieve any "OTA" update as a "Galaxy S" phone?

Thanks again

1. No. You will have to use adb or the database modification method (which having root access makes possible). Both are described in detail elsewhere in this forum.
2. Rooting means simply getting superuser permissions. Loading a ROM has to do with the bootloader and recovery partition. Unmodded Galaxy S ROMs probably will not work on the Captivate, but be patient.
3. Not sure what you're asking. You will still get any Captivate OTA updates as if you hadn't rooted, but you won't get, for example, the rumored Korean FroYo Galaxy S update OTA when it drops. You'd have to wait for the Captivate OTA FroYo upgrade (or there may be a ROM or patch you can flash by then).

Rooting is basically just allowing programs to run as the superuser account. Many programs like Metamorph, some screenshot apps and some wifi tethering apps require more permission than Android normally gives an app.

M

Muhamadabdelaall

Thanks Drachen

1. No. You will have to use adb or the database modification method (which having root access makes possible). Both are described in detail elsewhere in this forum.
2. Rooting means simply getting superuser permissions. Loading a ROM has to do with the bootloader and recovery partition. Unmodded Galaxy S ROMs probably will not work on the Captivate, but be patient.
3. Not sure what you're asking. You will still get any Captivate OTA updates as if you hadn't rooted, but you won't get, for example, the rumored Korean FroYo Galaxy S update OTA when it drops. You'd have to wait for the Captivate OTA FroYo upgrade (or there may be a ROM or patch you can flash by then).

Rooting is basically just allowing programs to run as the superuser account. Many programs like Metamorph, some screenshot apps and some wifi tethering apps require more permission than Android normally gives an app.

Thanks alot for taking all this time & energy to reply to me! WOW, it seems like everytime I wanna step up one, I go back 10 steps. All I need is to use my Captivate for installing a Stock Rom of "Galaxy S" & be able to get rid of any "AT&T" restrictions for anything on this phone, what should I do please?

Thanks

TexUs

Jul 1, 2010

Thanks alot for taking all this time & energy to reply to me! WOW, it seems like everytime I wanna step up one, I go back 10 steps. All I need is to use my Captivate for installing a Stock Rom of "Galaxy S" & be able to get rid of any "AT&T" restrictions for anything on this phone, what should I do please?

Thanks

The ATT stuff doesn't actually run so they aren't a big deal at this point. I also don't see Amazon MP3 background stuff like some Android devices have, so... There's really not a huge case for rooting yet.

That said, when Custom ROMs for this come out I'll still be getting one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TGA_Gunnman created a one click root that new users will want to use, said thread is a sticky in Captivate Development. If you still want to use the old method (and install ADB) please use this one.

I followed my own guide! This works perfectly if you read everything and follow the instructions.

Also: once you are rooted, be EXTREMELY careful! Half of the new threads are people who have screwed up their phones by deleting this or corrupting that. Please, for the sanity of all of the devs and Android veterans, make backups and just be all around careful. Almost all problems that anyone has had are repareable AND PREVENTABLE with a little reading and care. Just to clarify, rooting does not automatically enable sideloading. Please follow http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=738376 to enable sideloading.

HOWEVER:

I take no responsibility if ANYTHING at all happens to your device that you don't like. Don't come crying to me if your brand new phone breaks in any way. Your warranty is also void, but you could have figured that out for yourself.

Now that that's over with, lets get to the fun bit. If you are on Windows, you can follow this procedure, or for TGA_Gunnman's one click root program (only on Windows), you can go ahead and skip to the bottom.

For 64 bit Windows, you'll need these drivers: http://zedomax.com/blog/2010/07/14/s...iver-download/

2) Download the attached zip (at the bottom of the post) and rename it to update or update.zip if you are on a Mac. (If you are on a Mac, DO NOT USE SAFARI to download the file, it automatically unzips any zip file. Use Google Chrome or firefox instead.) Scroll down the notification bar and click "mount" to allow your computer to read the internal memory. Put the file on the INTERNAL SD card of the Captivate, which won't be tough to figure out if you don't have an SD card in the phone.

3) EDIT--There is an easier way to get to recovery, but do this step anyway. Turn the phone off, then hold power, volume up and volume down. If you still want the android SDK (which will be very useful throughout your rooted experiences) follow the old procedure:

This step requires the Android SDK, and Android Debugging enabled. You can get the SDK here: Android SDK. Just download the zip, extract it to something like C:\Android. You won't need the Java dev pack or anything.
    Finally, type:

Code:
    adb reboot recovery

I have a captivate.

adb terminal is software you need to install on your PC , will probably need samsung drivers also , guide is indeed not noob friendly. This will help you get needed bits including ADB

Probably None of us have captivate , so writing a guide is a bit troublesome :p

I have a captivate and when I run the update I get this: e: /mt/sd update.zip no such file, then it says no signature verification, update failed.

Any clue or idea what I should do next?
    Thanks. I have been working this phone for a year. Cant root or unlock it. But I am trying.