[Q] Why do us U.S users get the VERY short end of the LONG stick ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

AppzTheGawd

Dec 16, 2012
I've had a gs2 and a gs3 all T-mobile. Why is it that we U.S users get done so dirty when it come to updates, fine tuning lol customer service etc etc. We pay as much as the next guy (most of us) for our "high end" phones If apple does do one thing well it's delivering their boring IOS updates to the rest of their devices. I still know people with a galaxy s, and if you think we are going to get a 4.1.2 update before the s4 comes out you are sadly mistaken. If i pay 500 + for a device I at least want it to be relevant for some time. Even the specs of the international why is it we are the mentally challenged little brother. I know each carrier has to add their bloatware and stuff on to the updates but that never even happens.Things need to change call me a crybaby but I work for my money like every one else and am tired of it being a great investment for only 6 months. Do they all want us to go get an iphone before they stop treating us like sheep with wallets. :confused::confused: Let me know if i'm wrong or what you think.

Reactions: sipher26

Pennycake

Nov 20, 2012
Rupert
What does iOS have to do with US vs Non-US customers ? iOS is made for ONE family of devices, all with the same hardware per iteration and Apple only have to worry about that one family, with is like... what... maybe four different phones being actively supported at this point ?

If OS updates are your priority, get the Nexus 4 or another "nexus" device - then you'll get updates with iOS frequency and support. It depends on what is important to you.

I'd rather have the 2Gb RAM than the quadcore.

Developers do a great job of keeping a phone "alive" and making it even better than stock so I think it's a safe bet that any popular device (like the S3) will have a long "second life" in development even after official updates are no longer pushed.

AppzTheGawd

Dec 16, 2012
Reason why I was coating iOS was that international or us you have the same specs as the next guy and they still update their iOS on outdated devices my s3 can't even get an update an we aren't even outdated yet. Yes developers do a lot and I love em, but you can only do so much example multiwindow. Imagine if our u.s developers had a premium suite to play with. They are teasing us showing us what our phone are supposed to be.... There is a diff in thinking you can be better than knowing you can be better. On that note the international s3 just got a 4.2.1 leaked update where is our 4.1.2 official update. Imagine when the devs get a hold of that update.. And ppl think we are going to see key lime pie when we can't even get 4.1.2. Even int s2 can compete with the u.s s3 smh

Sent from my SGH-T999

monkeypaws

Feb 19, 2012
What does iOS have to do with US vs Non-US customers ? iOS is made for ONE family of devices, all with the same hardware per iteration and Apple only have to worry about that one family, with is like... what... maybe four different phones being actively supported at this point ?

If OS updates are your priority, get the Nexus 4 or another "nexus" device - then you'll get updates with iOS frequency and support. It depends on what is important to you.

Developers do a great job of keeping a phone "alive" and making it even better than stock so I think it's a safe bet that any popular device (like the S3) will have a long "second life" in development even after official updates are no longer pushed.

I think to sum up what the other guy said, id say not a lot of people know about sites like xda , while others who do choose not to root because they are scared to mess up their phone or dont want to deal with it. I do feel his pain that here in the us we dont get as much love as others do that own the intl version. Id say its a pretty sad response to say "get a nexus". 0people get a certain type of phone for a reason. Id love the nexus for the updates but screw tryinf to cradle that thing like a babt bwcause of the glass back and no sd card support. If the sgs line gor frequent updates it would def make it a more killer phone. Samsung really needs to do something about that if they completely want to wipe out the competition. Regulate the us counterparts a kittle better as to bloat and such.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: AppzTheGawd

AppzTheGawd

Dec 16, 2012
I rooted my devices since I had a s2. Roms are great but name me one ROM that has all the 4.1.2 over the air updates. Roms are truly great when dev's have an official update and they can pimp it out.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Pennycake

Nov 20, 2012
Rupert
I think to sum up what the other guy said, id say not a lot of people know about sites like xda , while others who do choose not to root because they are scared to mess up their phone or dont want to deal with it. I do feel his pain that here in the us we dont get as much love as others do that own the intl version. Id say its a pretty sad response to say "get a nexus". 0people get a certain type of phone for a reason. Id love the nexus for the updates but screw tryinf to cradle that thing like a babt bwcause of the glass back and no sd card support. If the sgs line gor frequent updates it would def make it a more killer phone. Samsung really needs to do something about that if they completely want to wipe out the competition. Regulate the us counterparts a kittle better as to bloat and such.

If the OP is arguing that Apple is the ideal, I think a comparison to the current Nexus line is accurate. Lack of choice is one reason for faster updates - Apple doesn't have to implement it's OS with vastly different processors between US and International versions like with the S3. And Samsung makes a TON of different phones. Pros and cons. If a person doesn't want to try custom ROMs, I'd argue that the majority of customers don't even know or really care what Android version they're running. I think "knows what flashing I'd, but too afraid to do it" is a small camp between xda and the average consumer who only cares that the phone "just works".

AppzTheGawd

Dec 16, 2012
But for the ppl that do know what version they are running and the miilions of videos that broadcast and promote specs that go way past the phone just working. Yeah I know u.s and int have diff specs, and what is the valid reason for that because I never seen one. I've been pimping my phone since I had the wing. Tech spec and rom vids are not for people who are satisfied with just a working phone. If all the phones had the same specs and then the carriers make their print it'd be cool.

Sent from my SGH-T999

bikrame

Jun 10, 2010
New York City
Because they bring new phone for new software. And we buy new one because its their policy to sell new phone and they know we will not wait for updates.
Outside US they stick with same phone for years.

Pennycake

Nov 20, 2012
Rupert
Because they bring new phone for new software. And we buy new one because its their policy to sell new phone and they know we will not wait for updates.
Outside US they stick with same phone for years.

Yeah, the subsidy model in the USA is growing outdated and I think we're seeing the carriers realise this, albeit slowly. If a person is doing contract service and expects a new phone every 2 years, it's a very different market than if people are paying lower service rates, but buying the phone outright.

monkeypaws

Feb 19, 2012
Well ive been flashing roms since the mytouch. Now that I actual have a career and family ibdontbhave hours to backup every text (theyee all business related) and picture ofy daughter, backup apps, etc, flash roms until I find a stable one and then restoew it all. It really does take a minimum of one hour + I finally gotn used to rootbox and rhen started playing a feq games. Complet glitches everywhere. So yes I fall ino the category now of "I jist want it to work the way it is supposed to and not wait for bugs to get squished" . And I dont believe im alone. I jnow there arw loyal crack flashers out there that have no problem doing all thatbstuff and flashing all the roms on this forum. It comes down to time and whats really important. Ive had all the sgs variants for tmobile and feel ive been taken for a complete circle ever year. They hold updates unril the new sgs version comes out then its another 6 months until we get one leak. When the next nexus phone comes out jm jumping ship for sure. Need to get off this wheel.

Reactions: AppzTheGawd

AppzTheGawd

Dec 16, 2012
Yeah I know there a 2 diff communities of phone users, I'm not a hardcore ROM guy all I'm saying is a 4.1.2 update and hope forbthe fyture of our devices would be nice, even theosy casual of users slowly appreciate updates. My dad is 72 lol he has the s3 he just wanted a phone. And yeah into tally understand on not flashing and wiping too much... Im not a family guy but also don't mind staying on the same rom. Im just complaining about things being thrown in my face and false promises because I could really use premium suite stock......personally.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Reactions: monkeypaws

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
I understand your Rant and all the posted for and against, but this could go in the Off Topic thread for further discussion. There are some good people in this thread who know what they are talking about and how to get deep into the OS. I do hope you'll continue the discussion in the OT thread, as I think that there are some valid points to be made.

Thread Closed.

Also, even though this is a rant, you formed it as a Question and put [Q] in the title. Moved to Q&A

Reactions: bikrame
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had a gs2 and a gs3 all T-mobile. Why is it that we U.S users get done so dirty when it come to updates, fine tuning lol customer service etc etc. We pay as much as the next guy (most of us) for our "high end" phones If apple does do one thing well it's delivering their boring IOS updates to the rest of their devices. I still know people with a galaxy s, and if you think we are going to get a 4.1.2 update before the s4 comes out you are sadly mistaken. If i pay 500 + for a device I at least want it to be relevant for some time. Even the specs of the international why is it we are the mentally challenged little brother. I know each carrier has to add their bloatware and stuff on to the updates but that never even happens.Things need to change call me a crybaby but I work for my money like every one else and am tired of it being a great investment for only 6 months. Do they all want us to go get an iphone before they stop treating us like sheep with wallets. :confused::confused: Let me know if i'm wrong or what you think.

Like my bro says "Zactly".

Sent from my SGH-T999
    I agree that their should be more updates like other countries... If Google ever officially makes their own phone, that will take care of the problem

Well ive been flashing roms since the mytouch. Now that I actual have a career and family ibdontbhave hours to backup every text (theyee all business related) and picture ofy daughter, backup apps, etc, flash roms until I find a stable one and then restoew it all. It really does take a minimum of one hour + I finally gotn used to rootbox and rhen started playing a feq games. Complet glitches everywhere. So yes I fall ino the category now of "I jist want it to work the way it is supposed to and not wait for bugs to get squished" . And I dont believe im alone. I jnow there arw loyal crack flashers out there that have no problem doing all thatbstuff and flashing all the roms on this forum. It comes down to time and whats really important. Ive had all the sgs variants for tmobile and feel ive been taken for a complete circle ever year. They hold updates unril the new sgs version comes out then its another 6 months until we get one leak. When the next nexus phone comes out jm jumping ship for sure. Need to get off this wheel.