[Q] HTC Sensation(ally) Bricked - Real challenge

Search This thread

santasemilla

Aug 30, 2007
Hi everybody.

I just got a bricked HTC Sensation to play with from a guy who messed up with a Rom installation. As far as he told me, he tried to upgrade from GB to ICS directly and bricked it. The problem is that I don't know what he tried to do after that to recover it. He first told me that the phone was detected on Windows (with the typical USB alert sound) but nothing happened after that. I supposed that the phone was able to get QHSUSB_DLOAD mode and accepted the challenge!

The truth is that the phone is not recognized at all. I tried the HTC Unbricking Project under Linux (Mint 16 - 64bits) but the phone was not recognized at the first step (./brickdetect.sh). Then, just to make sure, I checked linux's log messages (tail -f /var/log/syslog) but the phone was not even detected by the USB port when was plugged or unplugged. Finally, as I had nothing to lose, I tried the wire trick as in this video as the guy successfully returned to life a completely bricked phone at least up to QHSUSB_DLOAD state. ...nothing, zero, nada, finito.

Is there anything else I could try to revive this phone before trying to sell it as for spare parts? Another extra challenge is that I don't really know if it is S-On, S-Off nor hboot version. I was just told that it was fully unlocked (I suppose it it S-off)

Well, that's the story. Any orientation will be more than welcome! Please, also If I'm missing any important detail let me know.

Thanks!

rzr86

May 21, 2012
Nafpaktos
Hi everybody.

I just got a bricked HTC Sensation to play with from a guy who messed up with a Rom installation. As far as he told me, he tried to upgrade from GB to ICS directly and bricked it. The problem is that I don't know what he tried to do after that to recover it. He first told me that the phone was detected on Windows (with the typical USB alert sound) but nothing happened after that. I supposed that the phone was able to get QHSUSB_DLOAD mode and accepted the challenge!

The truth is that the phone is not recognized at all. I tried the HTC Unbricking Project under Linux (Mint 16 - 64bits) but the phone was not recognized at the first step (./brickdetect.sh). Then, just to make sure, I checked linux's log messages (tail -f /var/log/syslog) but the phone was not even detected by the USB port when was plugged or unplugged. Finally, as I had nothing to lose, I tried the wire trick as in this video as the guy successfully returned to life a completely bricked phone at least up to QHSUSB_DLOAD state. ...nothing, zero, nada, finito.

Is there anything else I could try to revive this phone before trying to sell it as for spare parts? Another extra challenge is that I don't really know if it is S-On, S-Off nor hboot version. I was just told that it was fully unlocked (I suppose it it S-off)

Well, that's the story. Any orientation will be more than welcome! Please, also If I'm missing any important detail let me know.

Thanks!

did you try to see if you have access to the bootloader at all?
if yes and you don't have access then go for jtag

heavy_metal_man

Nov 6, 2011
Thanks! Noup, I don't have access to anything, its a USB potato. Unfortunately, I'm not in the US so I can't go for jtag :(

I think I'm toasted

Gonna sound simple but does the battery have charge in it? It sounds like there may have been a time gap between them breaking it and you getting it :) only takes a few hours on the charge to be sure :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

santasemilla

Aug 30, 2007
Gonna sound simple but does the battery have charge in it? It sounds like there may have been a time gap between them breaking it and you getting it :) only takes a few hours on the charge to be sure :)

Hey! Thanks for your reply. Yes, I left the phone charging a whole night and it was dead cold. I tried again after this charge and nothing happened. Tried with and without battery (as HTC Unbricking Project states) and nothing.

Anyway, I already have a person interested in the phone for spare parts so I guess that was "Mary Jane's last dance" :)

heavy_metal_man

Nov 6, 2011
Hey! Thanks for your reply. Yes, I left the phone charging a whole night and it was dead cold. I tried again after this charge and nothing happened. Tried with and without battery (as HTC Unbricking Project states) and nothing.

Anyway, I already have a person interested in the phone for spare parts so I guess that was "Mary Jane's last dance" :)

Fair enough pal :)