Battery problem, try this.

Search This thread

kthejoker20

Jun 18, 2008
Kenosha
Preparing...
With the phone in the on position.

Fully charge the battery with the phone on... (until the led turns green.)

Once the led turns green, unplug the charger until the led goes off.

After the led goes off, plug the charger back in. When the led turns green , power off the phone.

now.... with the phone fully powered off...

1. Unplug the charger.

2. Wait until led goes off.

3. Plug charger back in until the led turns green. When it turns green, unplug the charger again and go to step 1.

4. repeat steps 1 and 3, 10 times. This may take anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 mins per cycle. Typically only about 1 minute. though.

DO NOT DRAIN THE BATTERY. The goal is not to empty the battery and recharge like ni-cads (those have memory, these don't). These are lithiums, so we need to do the opposite...

Last edited:

kthejoker20

Jun 18, 2008
Kenosha
The cells were not charged evenly, so each cell holds different charges. So when you charge it, 1 cell may be 95% another 100 and 98 etc... so when you balance the cells, they function like they are suppose to.

this phone does not have a cell balancer built into it. :(

driguez

Oct 8, 2007
O-Town
So charge, wait til its almost dead, charge again til full, then do the process w the phone off?

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

amallama

Mar 22, 2010
I'm sorry this guide doesn't really make much sense. the led won't be on if the phone is unplugged so how will I know if its on Orange or not? also is the phone on or off when I'm doing this?

Sent from my PC36100 using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

tmidle8575

Jun 20, 2007
I suppose this might explain why sometimes my phone plunges to about 90% almost immediately after taking it off the charger, but then battery decreases at a "normal" rate after that?

Neotelos_com

Jul 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm 99.9% sure the battery is single cell...it wouldn't make sense to have a dual cell 3.7v LiPo unless you wanted heavy discharge.

I don't see how this will make any charge other than the phone not topping the battery off...which in that case an external charger would do a much better job is so.

david279

Sep 4, 2007
New Orleans
I tried this and my battery has been holding steady at 100% with the screen off for the last five minutes so something worked.

mrono

Jun 4, 2009
So is this a one time thing to re-condition the battery or will we have to do this more then once

Bamba1260

Jun 11, 2010
CO
Ingesting.

I've heard of draining all the way and recharging a couple times but this is a new one lol..

Akulamenuri

Jan 17, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I gave this a try and I must say that it is working. Before I did this, as soon as I would take my phone off the charger it would immediately drop to 96%. Now as david279 said, it will actually stay on 100% for awhile and have better standby time. Good find joker, I do see a difference.

How did you find out about the cells not being charged evenly?

kthejoker20

Jun 18, 2008
Kenosha
How did you find out about the cells not being charged evenly?

I'm a battery nut... actually, i used lithiums in model RC airplanes all the time. Balancing is a must.

Maybe someone can build an app for this, to reboot cycle on and off the power?

Is that even possible?

Now if someone would like to shoot me a awsome working froyo 2.2 rom *** :D joke

Last edited:

apollooff320

Jun 21, 2007
Toledo
I'm a battery nut... actually, i used lithiums in model RC airplanes all the time. Balancing is a must.

Maybe someone can build an app for this, to reboot cycle on and off the power?

Is that even possible?

Now if someone would like to shoot me a awsome working froyo 2.2 rom *** :D joke

can you post this over at the other android forums so ppl know?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Preparing...
    With the phone in the on position.

Fully charge the battery with the phone on... (until the led turns green.)

Once the led turns green, unplug the charger until the led goes off.

After the led goes off, plug the charger back in. When the led turns green , power off the phone.

now.... with the phone fully powered off...

1. Unplug the charger.

2. Wait until led goes off.

3. Plug charger back in until the led turns green. When it turns green, unplug the charger again and go to step 1.

4. repeat steps 1 and 3, 10 times. This may take anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 mins per cycle. Typically only about 1 minute. though.

DO NOT DRAIN THE BATTERY. The goal is not to empty the battery and recharge like ni-cads (those have memory, these don't). These are lithiums, so we need to do the opposite...
    OK, let me add some facts to this thread. LiIon batteries are charged with a constant current (e.g. 1 A) till they reach the maximal voltage, typically 4.2 V per cell. Once this point is reached, the charger switches from constant current to constant voltage mode, meaning it decreases the current, maintaining the voltage. Typically, if the current drops below 1/10 or 1/100 of the initial current (eg. 10 mA), charging is stopped. So, if you disconnect the charger, the voltage will drop slightly and next time you connect it, the charger will start its cycle. There is no magic, this is physics and chemistry. A lot of discussion here focuses on subjective observations and placebo effects. Until you take the battery out and measure its capacity with dedicated equipment, arguments are more for entertainment purpose...

you're arguing solid science to people who want to squeeze more life out of their batteries and are willing to try anything and everything to do so! good luck ;-)

thanks for the sanity check, nethopper. :D
    Charge the phone normally until green, remove charger, turn it off and charge to green again, unplug and charge again, about 6 times then turn on to see voltage. If necessary, do it again.

Then make sure it says 100%, boot to recovery, and wipe battery stats.

Sent from my HTC EVO via Tapatalk
    Hi i have a new htc desire (leedroid rom), the battery doesnt last very long at all, i have just purchased a new battery, but i want to get the charging cycle correct before i start using it, i saw the post above, where the author knows the exact voltage of his battery, please can i ask, where did this app/widget come from please, i would like it.

tim

Download BatteryTime by Molaten - I believe that's what shows me my battery information on my EVO (temp/voltage). Have the option to show the battery life percentage in your notification bar - when you drag the bar down it'll show you the voltage and temperature of the battery.