Galaxy S3 continually reducing storage issue?

Search This thread

tjmarx

Feb 18, 2014
Brisbane
www.tjandsarah.com
I'm having storage trouble with my Galaxy S3, and I'd like to sort it so I can keep using the phone until the S5 is released later this year. This issue only started occurring around September 2013

Essentially, without ME installing anything new, or doing anything except use it as a phone and use google hangouts and facebook, the storage will continue to shrink over a period of 2-3 weeks. Over this same period my battery life from a full charge will shrink from almost a day to just over an hour. This continues until it gets so low on storage space that the phone is not usable.and I factory reset it.

Things I've already tried:

* Cleared app Cache and Data for all apps
* Cleared System log
* Cleared System Cache
* Uninstalled all downloaded apps, one at a time to see if they effected anything
* Disabled all bloatware apps, including google apps
* Factory reset (I'm up to 6 times now)

Important information:

* Android version 4.1.2
* Model GT-I9300
* All photos, music and other media stored on ext SD card [sandisk ultra 32gb]
* Unrooted phone
* Stock ROM
* When I click on settings->storage the phone sits calculating where data is but never resolves. I've left it for an hour and it just never finishes calculating. Sometimes when I click on settings->storage it will refuse to display anything about internal storage as if it doesn't exist.
* The cache for google+ is HUGE. Over a gig at times, and I don't use the app. I've never even signed in with the app.

Downloaded apps;

Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Wordpress
MyBMI
Google Hangouts
Camera FV-5
ES File Explorer
DoggCatcher
Dropbox
Omegle Plus
Pebble

I'm concerned that this is perhaps the result of a push service, perhaps from samsung or google, which is updating or changing something without asking, and it causes this problem. My secondary concern is that my internal flash mem is faulty. Your assistance is appreciated.

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
I'm having storage trouble with my Galaxy S3, and I'd like to sort it so I can keep using the phone until the S5 is released later this year. This issue only started occurring around September 2013

Essentially, without ME installing anything new, or doing anything except use it as a phone and use google hangouts and facebook, the storage will continue to shrink over a period of 2-3 weeks. Over this same period my battery life from a full charge will shrink from almost a day to just over an hour. This continues until it gets so low on storage space that the phone is not usable.and I factory reset it.

Things I've already tried:

* Cleared app Cache and Data for all apps
* Cleared System log
* Cleared System Cache
* Uninstalled all downloaded apps, one at a time to see if they effected anything
* Disabled all bloatware apps, including google apps
* Factory reset (I'm up to 6 times now)

Important information:

* Android version 4.1.2
* Model GT-I9300
* All photos, music and other media stored on ext SD card [sandisk ultra 32gb]
* Unrooted phone
* Stock ROM
* When I click on settings->storage the phone sits calculating where data is but never resolves. I've left it for an hour and it just never finishes calculating. Sometimes when I click on settings->storage it will refuse to display anything about internal storage as if it doesn't exist.
* The cache for google+ is HUGE. Over a gig at times, and I don't use the app. I've never even signed in with the app.

Downloaded apps;

Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Wordpress
MyBMI
Google Hangouts
Camera FV-5
ES File Explorer
DoggCatcher
Dropbox
Omegle Plus
Pebble

I'm concerned that this is perhaps the result of a push service, perhaps from samsung or google, which is updating or changing something without asking, and it causes this problem. My secondary concern is that my internal flash mem is faulty. Your assistance is appreciated.

Try disabling google plus.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

tjmarx

Feb 18, 2014
Brisbane
www.tjandsarah.com
I'll give it a go, at best that'll fix the battery issue though right? Not the storage issue. I'm pretty sure the storage and battery issues are related, and have something to do with something hogging resources, as battery length goes back to almost a full day after a factory reset and the whole 2-3 week process starts over again.

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Battery calibration apps wipe the battery stats only .
Battery stats play no part in battery calibration or battery life >>> see faqs and guides they do not calibrate the battery in any shape or form .

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
I'll give it a go, at best that'll fix the battery issue though right? Not the storage issue. I'm pretty sure the storage and battery issues are related, and have something to do with something hogging resources, as battery length goes back to almost a full day after a factory reset and the whole 2-3 week process starts over again.

Then dun restore all ur apps first when u factory reset. Slowly install an app by a time. Like a few days one app. Then u can pinpoint the app.

tjmarx

Feb 18, 2014
Brisbane
www.tjandsarah.com
Then dun restore all ur apps first when u factory reset. Slowly install an app by a time. Like a few days one app. Then u can pinpoint the app.

Thanks for your attempt at helping me out JellyYogurt, I appreciate it, but you aren't helping. As I mentioned in the original post I've already done this. It isn't any of the downloaded apps. If it's an app problem it's something to do with the underlying samsung auto update or the underlying google system update. Alternatively it's a bad data sector. I'm looking for someone who has experienced the problem I am experiencing and has managed to fix it. Again, I appreciate your attempts to help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for replying so quickly. I've already tried disabling G+. It didn't help :crying:

Tried calibrating battery? Download battery calibration from play store. I use the one developed by NeMa.