[Q] Black update heating the phone and draining the battery

Search This thread

Noppes123

Apr 18, 2008
I was quite happy with my Lumia 920 and eagerly installed the Black update the other day.

But soon I started to notice serious heating problems from time to time at the upper part where the GSM chip is located, accompanied by quick battery drain (from 90%+ to 15% in a few hours, without doing anything but a few calls and some email checking).
I changed max speed from 4G to 3G and stopped all background tasks, disabled tap&send, but nothing made any noticable difference.

Then I noticed on my Femto Cell (a mini in-hous GSM transceiver) the 'connected' light was on while my phone had a working WiFi connection at the same time. This indicated that the GSM was on while I had a WiFi connection. Only rebooting the phone would disconnect the 3G and use just WiFi. But after some time and using the phone, the 3G connection would come back on (light on the Femto Cell turns on) and the heating and draining would start again.

This looks to me like a serious bug in my (hardware revision 6.5.0.2) Lumia 920!

Anyone else experiencing this with the Black update?

trb999

Apr 15, 2009
lumia 820 high battery drain after black update

After upgrading from Amber to black I have high battery drain and heating up near the camera lens on the lumia 820, my wife has the same phone and the same problem after the update.

It seems as if Nokia aren't listening as several people have posted same issue on the Nokia community and no-one from Nokia has replied, I don't know where to go from here as many people have said a hard reset does not fix the issue and I don't want to have to re-setup my phone and lose all data!!!

Noppes123

Apr 18, 2008
After upgrading from Amber to black I have high battery drain and heating up near the camera lens on the lumia 820, my wife has the same phone and the same problem after the update.

It seems as if Nokia aren't listening as several people have posted same issue on the Nokia community and no-one from Nokia has replied, I don't know where to go from here as many people have said a hard reset does not fix the issue and I don't want to have to re-setup my phone and lose all data!!!

Yes, looks like we're not alone with this issue. I can assure you, none of the usual tricks will fix this. No hard reset, no background tasks disable, no 3G or 2G max speed setting, etc.

Noppes123

Apr 18, 2008
not on my phone... working much better and battery last longer... but i make hard reset before upgrade to Black... not after....

I know, certainly not every 920 has this issue but there are too many people reporting similar issues to ignore. Some of my colleagues having a 920 have no problem, others have similar issues.

BTW: What is the hardware revision of your Lumia 920? Mine is 6.5.0.2.

christboy

Mar 26, 2008
Dagneux
same here in France after switching from SFR to BOUYGUE TELECOM. more than 2 days before the switch and less than one day after the switch)

A matter of provider ?

Deano019S

Mar 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Same issue, same h/w revision

Small difference, but could be something... :confused:

Others having 6.5.0.2 without battery drain issues?

I also have the 6.5.0.2 hardware revision WITH the battery drain issue :(

The thing is, I sent my phone back to Nokia for assessment.. they deemed the battery was faulty - charged me $90 for a replacement battery, and now a few weeks later I'm having the same issue again...

Really starting to get annoyed.

Noppes123

Apr 18, 2008
I also have the 6.5.0.2 hardware revision WITH the battery drain issue :(

The thing is, I sent my phone back to Nokia for assessment.. they deemed the battery was faulty - charged me $90 for a replacement battery, and now a few weeks later I'm having the same issue again...

Really starting to get annoyed.

I am beginning to suspect a design error in specific hardware models. There are too many people with battery drain issues to ignore. At the same time many people seem to have no problem.

Have you tried to revert back to an older firmware version? That could make a difference... I will try it when I find some spare time.

Deano019S

Mar 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I am beginning to suspect a design error in specific hardware models. There are too many people with battery drain issues to ignore. At the same time many people seem to have no problem.

Have you tried to revert back to an older firmware version? That could make a difference... I will try it when I find some spare time.

I agree, there is something not right.

No I haven't tried an older firmware version. Wouldn't that require flashing the phone? Although, my phone has been back to Nokia roughly 3-4 times now, and each time it comes back with a different firmware. I've had the system board replaced, lcd assembly replaced, battery replaced and something else I believe.

You'd think after all these repairs I'd have a phone that actually works correctly...

geddeeee

Feb 4, 2010
I agree, there is something not right.

No I haven't tried an older firmware version. Wouldn't that require flashing the phone? Although, my phone has been back to Nokia roughly 3-4 times now, and each time it comes back with a different firmware. I've had the system board replaced, lcd assembly replaced, battery replaced and something else I believe.

You'd think after all these repairs I'd have a phone that actually works correctly...

So... after all this you are still having the same problem???
Must be 'user error' then.... An installed app is causing the drain most probably. I bet you have WhatsApp installed??

Rule number 1... DON'T USE WHATSAPP!!!! It will drain your battery in next to no time.....

My 920 has been perfect from Day 1. I have had none of the problems or battery drain that have been posted here or on other forums. As I said 'user error'....

Deano019S

Mar 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
So... after all this you are still having the same problem???
Must be 'user error' then.... An installed app is causing the drain most probably. I bet you have WhatsApp installed??

Rule number 1... DON'T USE WHATSAPP!!!! It will drain your battery in next to no time.....

My 920 has been perfect from Day 1. I have had none of the problems or battery drain that have been posted here or on other forums. As I said 'user error'....

No, it's not a user error - I have uninstalled all my apps and my battery is still crap. So I put my apps back on because you know, what's the point of having a smartphone if you haven't got any apps...

And no, I actually don't have WhatsApp installed...

By the way, too many users have reported these issues - so it can't just be 'user error'. Some people do get Lumia's that are perfect, others do not, that's just how it is.

Noppes123

Apr 18, 2008
No, it's not a user error - I have uninstalled all my apps and my battery is still crap. So I put my apps back on because you know, what's the point of having a smartphone if you haven't got any apps...

And no, I actually don't have WhatsApp installed...

By the way, too many users have reported these issues - so it can't just be 'user error'. Some people do get Lumia's that are perfect, others do not, that's just how it is.

Correct. One scenario I've tested is a hard reset and just the default setup (only added WiFi and mobile network). Also did full discharge/charge cycle. Battery drain was about 1% better with no apps and no (non-system) background tasks, but still a lot higher than acceptable.

And of course, until recently my 920 worked flawless with all the apps and background tasks active...

gentry33

Mar 14, 2011
I find that I have more issue with heating when using the Qi charging plates as the phone can be warm when removed from the plate. After several successive uses the phone does not cool entirely and this is when I notice a much faster battery drain during moderate use (excluding gaming which is always warms up the phone and drains the battery). Charging the phone with the USB adapter on occasion seems to calm the phone down and it is cool after completely charging.

Hope this helps.

Noppes123

Apr 18, 2008
I find that I have more issue with heating when using the Qi charging plates as the phone can be warm when removed from the plate. After several successive uses the phone does not cool entirely and this is when I notice a much faster battery drain during moderate use (excluding gaming which is always warms up the phone and drains the battery). Charging the phone with the USB adapter on occasion seems to calm the phone down and it is cool after completely charging.

Hope this helps.

Yes, I too noticed thesubstantial heating when charging wirelessly. So I stopped using the charging pad altogether...