[How to] Install android_winusb.inf, create adb shell loop, and root your phone

Search This thread

tdavis42

Jul 29, 2009
Orange County, CA
First off you need to have Android-SDK installed on your computer. I will not go into details about that process but here is the link to Google's official install page. Navigate to the folder you placed Android-SDK and run the SDK Setup.exe and make sure that you download the usb 3.0 driver software from the sdk updater window. I recommend erasing any HTC Sync software or drivers so that you can start from a clean point then reinstalling them.

Once you get the SDK installed from Google you need to go in a modify the USB 3.0 .inf file. Navigate to the folder you placed the Android-SDK and one step down you will see a folder that is named usb driver. Open the usb driver folder and then open the android_winusb.inf file in notepad. It should default into notepad when you click it. Next you need to copy and paste this text into notepad.

Find the section labeled [Google.NTx86]. At the end of that section, add the following lines.

;
;HTC Incredible
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01

Then find the section [Google.NTamd64]. At the end of that section, add the following lines.

;
;HTC Incredible
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01

Again just copy and paste. I have attached pictures to show where these need to go.

So now we have the USB driver on the computer and ready to be installed once you plug-in your Incredible.

On your Incredible press->Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->(check)USB debugging. Plug in your Incredible and you should get the found new hardware notification, select the No, not this time radio button, Install from a specific location(Advanced), Don't search, I will chose the driver to install. You should now have "Android Composite USB Device" in the white field selection box, click have disk and browse to the location of the android_winusb.inf file and click ok. Click next and it should install the USB driver you need for ADB to work properly.

Now if you click Start->(right click)My Computer->Properties->Hardware(tab)->Device Manager, you should see Android Phone at the top then when you open the tree you should see Android Composite USB Interface.
This will enable you to use the Android SDK from a command prompt to access your Incredible.

Once that is done open a command prompt by clicking Start->Run(XP) or the search box in W7 and type CMD(in W7 you need to right click command prompt and run as admin.). Then in the command prompt window type; cd (your file path to Android-sdk). now to test it type adb shell and press enter then reboot recovery and press enter. This should reboot your Incredible into recovery. (You can also type reboot bootloader to get to that screen.)

Once you make sure that is working press vol. up and power, then select reboot with the power button. GO back into Settings and deslect the USB debugging check box. Now we need to get adb shell to loop so that it can catch the Incredible in its flawed sequence that allows us to access the phone in recovery. Navigate your command prompt box to your tools folder and then follow these directions courtesy of prerunnerseth over at AndroidForums.com

type edit loop.bat

in edit enter the following

Code:
@echo off
:TOP
adb shell
GOTO TOP
press alt-f then x

hit enter for yes

Here is a link to Androidforums.com with two different methods for gaining root access on your phone.

This is a great 10 min. video on how to root as well.

I hope this helps clear some confusion up for those that can't quite get the Android Composite USB interface going. This credited to all parties involved and is just a collection of info.

Last edited:

SeanRinVA

Aug 4, 2008
Hampton, VA
Hmmm...I had mine in Debug mode every time (failed every time, too). Ok...headed to BB to get the PNY card and try again w/o debug mode on.

Last edited:

rynosaur

Nov 29, 2008
Dekalb
Hmmm...I had mine in Debug mode every time. Ok...headed to BB to get the PNY card and try again w/o debug mode on.

Report back. Rooting the DI will only get simpler and more reliable the old fashioned way: a LEAK from HTC!! If we had something to flash from fastboot or recovery without first obtaining root, we would all have root except for those who didn't check their MD5's, in which case they'd brick. So this new (not you, OP, or you Unrevoked team, but this exploit in general), ****ty, hard way = relatively safe, totally unreliable. Old way = almost 100% reliable but little room for error.

sylent101

Jan 26, 2010
jesus this is frustrating

when i click on android phone it says android adb interface am i doing something wrong??! also when i try to install sdk a black box flashes then leaves immediately:mad:

RLKirk

Sep 27, 2008
Knoxville
when i click on android phone it says android adb interface am i doing something wrong??! also when i try to install sdk a black box flashes then leaves immediately:mad:

It is supposed to say that... and you can't install the android sdk you can only open it... its is just a basic dos applicarion with a GUI front of it if I'm not mistaken so just try redownloading it

Reddog80p

Apr 10, 2009
Central California
Try following the 10 minute video exactly on a cpu that does not have the sdk already on it. I used the same exact sd card and could not get it on my pc that already had the sdk , sync , drivers on it. I followed the instructions on the 10 minute video using the sdk and htc sync from the video link on a machine that did not have them prior and it worked first try using the first (adb shell) method. I think it had something to do with the prior sdk install I had.

tdavis42

Jul 29, 2009
Orange County, CA

Right click on Android adb interface and then select update drivers, then follow the instructions above for installing the android_winusb.inf file. As stated before SDK doesn't actually "install' it is more on an interface that you can open to download the new sdk's for app development and debugging. you should get the black box and another box that is called Android SDK and AVD manager. Within that window you should have these options on the left; Virtual devices, installed packages, available packages, Settings, and About.

Edit; Did you follow the instructions about editing PATH with the C:\Android-SDK-Windows\tools directory path?