Few details abt 2011 WP7 updates

Search This thread

abhinayp

Dec 21, 2010
Paul Thurrott from Windows Phone Secrets have revealed, well, some secrets about the upcoming Windows Phone 7 updates.
He writes that we can expect two updates this year – the first expected to be announced this week, but only pushed in February by carriers, will be called NoDo (for no donuts), will bring support for the Qualcomm 7×30 smart phone chipset, a CDMA location stack, and a number of software fixes.
Of note is that the Snapdragon-based Qualcomm 7×30 chipset comes with HDMI output and the ability to play back 720p video on both its host device and a HDTV. It also supports Flash 10.1.
The next Mango, will come some time later in the year, and bring Internet Explorer 9 with with the Trident 5 rendering engine, HTML 5 and Silverlight, and gesture support. This 75xx (actually version 7.2) update will apparently bring additional, unrelated features as well.
Paul also mentions that Microsoft does not intend to push a number of small updates, but only a few large updates per year, which should mean long waits between each one.

Source:
wpcentral.com/thurrott-details-2011-wp7-updates-mango-and-nodo-as-no-donuts

wmpoweruser.com/windows-phone-7-updates-nodo-and-mango-coming/

Reactions: tomparrish

Reflexx1

May 25, 2009
I still believe that we'll see at least 3 updates in the year. 2 small ones and one large one.

Carriers could hold up and update for 1 cycle. That "advantage" would seem close to useless if the cycles could be almost a year apart.

Ren13B

Oct 10, 2007
You misspoke when you said updates are pushed out by carriers. Updates are released by Microsoft but tested by carriers before officially released.

From the article:
Thurrott reports that NoDo will RTM in January, with consumers seeing the update in the early February timeframe, after testing by carriers.

Reflexx1

May 25, 2009
I don't think it would be logistically feasible to push tons of updates and bug fixes as they come up, instead of cumulative updates.

The carriers have to certify them, and I'm sure that they have to be given a certain amount of time to do so.

Though I would like to see an aggressive update schedule. Maybe one every 3 months.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
Paul Thurrott from Windows Phone Secrets have revealed, well, some secrets about the upcoming Windows Phone 7 updates.
He writes that we can expect two updates this year – the first expected to be announced this week, but only pushed in February by carriers, will be called NoDo (for no donuts), will bring support for the Qualcomm 7×30 smart phone chipset, a CDMA location stack, and a number of software fixes.
Of note is that the Snapdragon-based Qualcomm 7×30 chipset comes with HDMI output and the ability to play back 720p video on both its host device and a HDTV. It also supports Flash 10.1.
The next Mango, will come some time later in the year, and bring Internet Explorer 9 with with the Trident 5 rendering engine, HTML 5 and Silverlight, and gesture support. This 75xx (actually version 7.2) update will apparently bring additional, unrelated features as well.
Paul also mentions that Microsoft does not intend to push a number of small updates, but only a few large updates per year, which should mean long waits between each one.

Source:

actually he said that there will be more small updates between now and mango.
Though mango sounds like a great update (IE9 with full silverlight and html 5)

Reflexx1

May 25, 2009
The fact that "Mango" is being labeled as the "Entertainment Branch" makes me wonder about what the "Business Branch" is.

I think it's safe to assume that there is a Business Branch. So I wonder what priority is given to it. Will it come before or after Mango? Will it be released concurrently? What types of updates would fall under "Business Branch"?

canadariot2312

May 25, 2010
I would say letting carriers in "testing" the update is a bad move on Microsoft's part. If it is anything like Palm, a carrier will push the update rather quickly (Sprint), while the other carriers will release it much latter (one month or more) and only because customers were getting pissed (AT&T and Verizon).

poedgirl

Nov 5, 2006
I would say letting carriers in "testing" the update is a bad move on Microsoft's part. If it is anything like Palm, a carrier will push the update rather quickly (Sprint), while the other carriers will release it much latter (one month or more) and only because customers were getting pissed (AT&T and Verizon).

As it was said above, the carriers don't push the updates. When MS released WP7 they said all devices would get updates at the same time, regardless of device or carrier.

Reflexx1

May 25, 2009
The proclamations of imminent failure are rather humorous. It shows 2 main things to me.

1. Some people have very short attention spans, and can't fathom the idea of a "long term plan"
2. Some people think that every other consumer wants the same thing that they do

Microsoft is in this for the long haul. The fact that they have stated that they don't expect to be in a position to beat the major players for at least a few years shows that they are looking at this as a long term investment.

There is a large portion of the mobile phone using market that hasn't upgraded to using a smart phone yet. Many people are happy with their regular phones because they feel that they don't need the features of a smart phone. However, every year, more and more of this very large market slowly moves over into the smartphone arena. These are people who want something that is slick, easy to use, and interesting. They don't need every feature under the sun. These are the kind of people that made the first iPhone such a success even though it severely lacked features compared to Windows Mobile. These are the people that the "Really?" commercials are targeted towards. People who haven't already jumped on the smartphone bandwagon because it just all seems like "too much."

The fact that MS is planning major upgrades to WP7 at all is awesome. It shows that while they are going for the casual feature phone user, they also want to get smartphone users as well. And the fact that they're doing it so quickly is even more awesome. After all, how long has the phone been out now? 2 months? 3 months by the time of the first update? Not too shabby.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcorrie1121

abhinayp

Dec 21, 2010
From the article: will bring support for the Qualcomm 7×30 smart phone chipset

Is this a support for any new hardware that might come in future wp7 phones or do the existing wp7 phones support this?

PG2G

Nov 7, 2010
From the article: will bring support for the Qualcomm 7×30 smart phone chipset

Is this a support for any new hardware that might come in future wp7 phones or do the existing wp7 phones support this?

The MSM7x30 is a second generation snapdragon that has improved GPU (as used in the T-Mobile G2). Though, based on the wiki this is 800 MHz. Guess we'll have to wait for the actual details.

All current WP7 phones use the QSD8250, so this won't benefit existing phones.

canadariot2312

May 25, 2010
As it was said above, the carriers don't push the updates. When MS released WP7 they said all devices would get updates at the same time, regardless of device or carrier.

With that being said, can't Microsoft themselves push the update as early as next week? The first update seems really minor.

PG2G

Nov 7, 2010
A consumer oriented model would have brought the features out either at launch or soon there after. And a consumer oriented model would not hold out on features that are common in the market already for such a long period of time.

If the features were ready at launch or around launch, they would have been released. We don't have the functionality because it's not ready. It is no more complicated than that.

Zedox

Oct 26, 2010
Yet MS orchestrated the iPhone funeral during WP7 launch...

So MS can't do that because they feel (and they do) that they have a good competitive product?

The thing with articles is because they influence public outlook on stuff (for the most part). How many claimed WP7 was gonna fail because KIN was discontinued? Articles nowadays are usually biased toward or for a certain platform and hardly treated as fact. It's always an opinion of some person.

Reflexx1

May 25, 2009
I think you missed my point that a very large percentage of potential customers aren't interested in a list of "features" that could be checked off.

Many people who are transitioning from feature phone to smart phone just want the transition to be nice and painless.

You're looking at things from the perspective of a veteran smartphone user. And most people aren't.

Reactions: hassler

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
I disagree that the mango update is an issue. It's not like android where half the devices are still on 2.1 with 2.2 released months ago and 2.3 just released.
Updates will be across all phones, yes it will take time to get them, but what OS gets releases out fast?

G

GuestK00306

I disagree that the mango update is an issue. It's not like android where half the devices are still on 2.1 with 2.2 released months ago and 2.3 just released.
Updates will be across all phones, yes it will take time to get them, but what OS gets releases out fast?

Only thing on this thread that hasn't made me cringe with "WTF?!", so thanks for that.

Did anybody really expect HTML5, Silverlight, Copy & Paste, Multitasking within 2 months of release and bug-free?? That's impossible. They've only been working on the entire OS for just over a year ffs. I'm amazed we're even using WM7 right now, let alone getting ANY sort of an update within a few weeks.

People on this thread just sound like this is their first early adoptation of a phone. Welcome to the gadget world, friends.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New clean!

It is possible, only adults who can read the topic of the thread, posting here?

It is not about Android, not iPhone, and not others ....
    so let me first ask a mod to clean this thread :mad:

the thread name is:
    Few details abt 2011 WP7

So stop trolling !!!

talk about the updates and not how bad or good the os/phones is/are !!!!!

Done!

Thread cleaned.

Thread was 14 pages, went to 4 pages.

Sorry for the delay in cleaning.

I thought everyone here knew how to read the topic and follow its subject!

Source:

The proclamations of imminent failure are rather humorous. It shows 2 main things to me.

1. Some people have very short attention spans, and can't fathom the idea of a "long term plan"
    2. Some people think that every other consumer wants the same thing that they do

Microsoft is in this for the long haul. The fact that they have stated that they don't expect to be in a position to beat the major players for at least a few years shows that they are looking at this as a long term investment.

There is a large portion of the mobile phone using market that hasn't upgraded to using a smart phone yet. Many people are happy with their regular phones because they feel that they don't need the features of a smart phone. However, every year, more and more of this very large market slowly moves over into the smartphone arena. These are people who want something that is slick, easy to use, and interesting. They don't need every feature under the sun. These are the kind of people that made the first iPhone such a success even though it severely lacked features compared to Windows Mobile. These are the people that the "Really?" commercials are targeted towards. People who haven't already jumped on the smartphone bandwagon because it just all seems like "too much."

The fact that MS is planning major upgrades to WP7 at all is awesome. It shows that while they are going for the casual feature phone user, they also want to get smartphone users as well. And the fact that they're doing it so quickly is even more awesome. After all, how long has the phone been out now? 2 months? 3 months by the time of the first update? Not too shabby.
    I think you missed my point that a very large percentage of potential customers aren't interested in a list of "features" that could be checked off.

Many people who are transitioning from feature phone to smart phone just want the transition to be nice and painless.

You're looking at things from the perspective of a veteran smartphone user. And most people aren't.