Increasing NEO /System and /Data partitions

Search This thread

MaxWorks

Sep 15, 2011
Mykolayiv
Hello Team.

Not everyone knows that the NEO was somewhat offended. For some unknown reason to me NEO section /System and /Data partitions are smaller than on other models Xperia 2011.
It is should be fixed!

We will need:
- FlashTool latest versions (version above 8)
- Installed driver in the system (located in the flashtool\drivers)
- Downloaded NEO V (MT11) .587 FW (Find it in the header. Localization does not matter, I Used nordic) (another .587 FWfor NEO V)
- Installed CWM on the phone, or you can find it in the custom kernel (to make a backup of the installed firmware, and restore it after that)

1. Go to the CWM and do a full backup of your ROM. (you can skip, but will have to re-install the ROM again)
2. Run FlashTool and Flash previously downloaded FW from NEO V 587 with this markers:
attachment.php

3. After flashing reboot and go back to CWM. Do factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache. And restores the previously made backup.

So what we had:
attachment.php

And what we have now:
attachment.php

As you can see /System increased from 312.5 to 400MB, and /Data from 380 to 420mb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-15-10-50-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-15-10-50-56.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 22,217
  • Screenshot_2012-11-16-01-17-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-16-01-17-20.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 22,085
Last edited:

kuzenka

Jul 30, 2011
twitter.com
Hello Team.

Not everyone knows that the NEO was somewhat offended. For some unknown reason to me NEO section /System and /Data partitions are smaller than on other models Xperia 2011.
It is should be fixed!

We will need:
- Downloaded NEO V (MT11) .587 FW (Find it in the header. Localization does not matter, I Used nordic)
- Installed CWM on the phone (to make a backup of the installed firmware, and restore it after that)

1. We go to the CWM and do a full backup of your ROM. (you can skip, but will have to re-install the ROM again)
2. Run FlashTool and Flash previously downloaded FW from NEO V 587 with this markers:
attachment.php

3. After flashing reboot and go back to CWM. Do factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache. And restores the previously made backup.

So what we had:
attachment.php

And what we have now:
attachment.php

As you can see /System increased from 312.5 to 400MB, and /Data from 380 to 420mb.
thanks mate ! it works ! ^^

Reactions: dangquelam62

medozse7s

Jul 20, 2012
cairo
where is the downloaded FW from NEO V 587 ?
i can't find it ?
can you give me link for download it
sorry for bad english

mttca

Oct 2, 2006
Xiaomi Mi 9
It's good that you didn't notice any drawback. it means this mod worked for you as you wanted.

Here is the reason I don't want that.
After the mod, /system increased from 312.5MB to 400MB (88MB difference) and /data from 380MB to 420MB (40MB increased).
From where the space from? It is from the partition intended for /system/vendor. After modding - /system/vendor mount point disappeared, means its contents is now in /system partition.

As I do not use stock rom, the 133MB partition intended for /system/vendor can be wasted. But thanks to alliance kernel, it is (automatically) mounted and used for dalvik cache (described HERE). Without it all the dalvik cache would occupy a lot of space in /data.

In MY CASE, the dalvik cache directory is as big as 98MB. By a simple calculation, I just think the mod can increase the data partition in 40MB, but will cause 98MB of dalvik cache to be moved to /data. So I decided that this new partitioning schema is not for me. I need more space in /data rather than /system.

Bertellio

Jun 11, 2012
Castelfranco Veneto
For Locked bootloader the tutorial is much more long.
After flashing neo V system we need to flash .062 neo v kernel, make root, flash .587 neo kernel, install cwm, restore backup of the rom.

Sent from my MT15i using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Mufasa243

MaxWorks

Sep 15, 2011
Mykolayiv
For Locked bootloader the tutorial is much more long.
After flashing neo V system we need to flash .062 neo v kernel, make root, flash .587 neo kernel, install cwm, restore backup of the rom.

Sent from my MT15i using xda app-developers app
You can шадфыр ROM without kernel, and load CWM via fastboot command:
fastboot boot kernel_with_cwm.img and restore ROM

Toz1k

Jan 10, 2012
Kyiv
Confirmed.
It works. But flashing new firmware of Neo via Flashtool removes the partition and takes it back to old size.
So the solutions are:
1. Don't flash firmwares via Flashtool (flashing other ROMs via CWM doesn't crash the partition)
2. When you use flashtool,- just flash ROM from Neo V, and than any custom ROM via CWM.

Reactions: MaxWorks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Team.

It is should be fixed!

We will need:
    - Downloaded NEO V (MT11) .587 FW (Find it in the header. Localization does not matter, I Used nordic) (another .587 FWfor NEO V)
    - Installed CWM on the phone, or you can find it in the custom kernel (to make a backup of the installed firmware, and restore it after that)

1. Go to the CWM and do a full backup of your ROM. (you can skip, but will have to re-install the ROM again)
    attachment.php

So what we had:
    attachment.php

And what we have now:
    attachment.php

It's good that you didn't notice any drawback. it means this mod worked for you as you wanted.

Here is the reason I don't want that.
    After the mod, /system increased from 312.5MB to 400MB (88MB difference) and /data from 380MB to 420MB (40MB increased).
    From where the space from? It is from the partition intended for /system/vendor. After modding - /system/vendor mount point disappeared, means its contents is now in /system partition.

As I do not use stock rom, the 133MB partition intended for /system/vendor can be wasted. But thanks to alliance kernel, it is (automatically) mounted and used for dalvik cache (described HERE). Without it all the dalvik cache would occupy a lot of space in /data.

In MY CASE, the dalvik cache directory is as big as 98MB. By a simple calculation, I just think the mod can increase the data partition in 40MB, but will cause 98MB of dalvik cache to be moved to /data. So I decided that this new partitioning schema is not for me. I need more space in /data rather than /system.
    @MaxWorks sorry for nagging. I get it do i need to flash haida or hallon roms afterwards? And camera is 8mp or 5 mp? What does it says in device info permanently,mt 15 or mt 11? TnX

hAllonCM10
    NEO (MT15 Hallon) and NEO V (MT11 Haida) have 2 differences:
    NEO V have SYSTEM partition 400 Mb and 5MP camera
    NEO have SYSTEM partition 312.5 Mb and 8MP camera
    Camera drivers stored in /system/lib folder and can be changed by you, or changed by system that you install.

So, If you flash FTF from NEOV on your NEO phone:
    You will have SYSTEM partition 400 Mb and NEO V Camera drivers.

You can change it by your own if you want to use stock ROM, or just install NEO ROM via CWM.

Drivers that need to change in NEO V ROM to make camera works for NEO:
    /system/lib/libcald_hal.so
    /system/lib/libcamera_clientsemc.so
    /system/lib/libcameralight.so
    /system/lib/liboemcamera.so
    Hello Team.

It is should be fixed!

We will need:
    - Downloaded NEO V (MT11) .587 FW (Find it in the header. Localization does not matter, I Used nordic)
    - Installed CWM on the phone (to make a backup of the installed firmware, and restore it after that)

1. We go to the CWM and do a full backup of your ROM. (you can skip, but will have to re-install the ROM again)
    attachment.php

So what we had:
    attachment.php

And what we have now:
    attachment.php

thanks mate ! it works ! ^^
    Could I flash neo v kernel into neo ?