[Q] impossible to hang up if the line is busy

Search This thread

Sabrber

Nov 12, 2013
Hi,
I noticed weird problem with Nexus 5/ 4.4.

Whenever I make a phone call and if the the receiver is busy (line engaged) it is impossible to hang up the phone straight away. First it give untraditional busy tone and then if I press hang up the tone won't go away at least for next 10secs and impossible hang up until phone it hangs up it self after 10sec. I'm sure lots of people must be having same problem.

Please advise.
Many thanks

Sabrber

Nov 12, 2013
above

Hi,
I noticed weird problem with Nexus 5/ 4.4.

Whenever I make a phone call and if the the receiver is busy (line engaged) it is impossible to hang up the phone straight away. First it give untraditional busy tone and then if I press hang up the tone won't go away at least for next 10secs and impossible hang up until phone it hangs up it self after 10sec. I'm sure lots of people must be having same problem.

Please advise.
Many thanks

Please any1???

becks5

Jun 20, 2010
I've had this as well once. Just tested it, wenn calling myself I cannot hang up, but the phone hangs up after 2 seconds.

Sabrber

Nov 12, 2013
quan ubspod

Try to calk some other number and reject it see if it hangs up straight away.

FourPointedFreak

Aug 19, 2013
Tampa
Mine about 10secs at least. Is it same with urs? when u call and if line is busy impossible to hang up straight away?

Most phones will respond this way - this isn't a "new" problem. Perhaps 10 seconds is an extremely long time and it doesn't make sense why you're getting that kind of time, but standard 2-6 seconds is common. Typically what happens with these phone lines is when you call a number and receive a busy tone in response, the transaction is metaphorically grabbed and held onto in the attempt that the called line becomes free again.

Perhaps with Android 4.4 or the Nexus 5, a newer technology has been integrated which is causing long times in this case. I have not experienced this but it sounds frustrating. When this happens - are you calling a land line or mobile device?

Sabrber

Nov 12, 2013
same

Most phones will respond this way - this isn't a "new" problem. Perhaps 10 seconds is an extremely long time and it doesn't make sense why you're getting that kind of time, but standard 2-6 seconds is common. Typically what happens with these phone lines is when you call a number and receive a busy tone in response, the transaction is metaphorically grabbed and held onto in the attempt that the called line becomes free again.

Perhaps with Android 4.4 or the Nexus 5, a newer technology has been integrated which is causing long times in this case. I have not experienced this but it sounds frustrating. When this happens - are you calling a land line or mobile device?

Hi,

Doesn't matter whether I call mobile or landline. I tested both and same problem. And its really really frustrating.
I know it might take few secs to hang up with other phone but not this one unbelievably long and I hope thisnt hardware issue. Already exchanged this one previous n5 came CPU faulty (posted on my previous post)

FourPointedFreak

Aug 19, 2013
Tampa
Hi,

Doesn't matter whether I call mobile or landline. I tested both and same problem. And its really really frustrating.
I know it might take few secs to hang up with other phone but not this one unbelievably long and I hope thisnt hardware issue. Already exchanged this one previous n5 came CPU faulty (posted on my previous post)

Does this happen when you hang up ANY call or only calls unanswered and you receive a stern dial-tone back signaling they're busy?

Sabrber

Nov 12, 2013
same

Does this happen when you hang up ANY call or only calls unanswered and you receive a stern dial-tone back signaling they're busy?

No!
It happens when I call and receiver is busy (I get busy signal, not the one with short tones but music like tone) and that's it I am unable to hung up. Even I press hang up, hunging up button turns to grey from red but tone goes on for at least 10-15secs, I tried to exit by pressing home button but still tone will be there until the phone ends it in long time.

Hope this helps.

May be later I'll post the link on YouTube.

Smith2001

Jun 25, 2006
I have this issue too on three UK. Have to use airplane mode to end the call. Very frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Tonster1983

Nov 13, 2013
YES...I also have this issue here in Canada on Bell network.... Really hope there is a fix for this. Not being able to use your dialer again for another 15 seconds until the phone decides it is going to hangup is unacceptable. Not sure why the person earlier said its normal for phones to take a few seconds, yeah right..my SG2 hung up immediately! How else is one to win radio contests by spamming the phone lines? ;)

FourPointedFreak

Aug 19, 2013
Tampa
YES...I also have this issue here in Canada on Bell network.... Really hope there is a fix for this. Not being able to use your dialer again for another 15 seconds until the phone decides it is going to hangup is unacceptable. Not sure why the person earlier said its normal for phones to take a few seconds, yeah right..my SG2 hung up immediately! How else is one to win radio contests by spamming the phone lines? ;)

No, I stated earlier that it is common for a few seconds when receiving a busy dial tone. Not every single call you end should take time, most will end instantly. If it's a cell phone, should be right away.

I haven't experienced calling a number and receiving a busy tone to test if mine does this also. Hopefully this is something that gets worked out soon.

Sabrber

Nov 12, 2013
same

I have this issue too on three UK. Have to use airplane mode to end the call. Very frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

By the way I'm on Three as well, However not 100% sure if it netowrk preference. I tried same SIM on my iPhone 4 and the problem DOESN'T happen.

I'm gonna try my Nexus 5 with different network SIM and see if the issue occurs.

Sabrber

Nov 12, 2013
By the way I'm on Three as well, However not 100% sure if it netowrk preference. I tried same SIM on my iPhone 4 and the problem DOESN'T happen.

I'm gonna try my Nexus 5 with different network SIM and see if the issue occurs.

I tried on Virgin UK, didn't get the problem. It was only 5 mins test to few numbers.

So looks like it's rather network issue..

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I noticed this because I have an account with a "callback" long distance service. It's designed so that I call a designated number, get an intentional busy signal, and then hang up quickly so they can call me back. Once I answer the callback I dial the number I want to reach.

Well now on my Nexus 5 with KitKat, I hang up, but the callback never reaches me because the device has failed to hang up in actual fact. Instead the callback hits my voicemail.

This is on WIND Mobile Canada which can be a bit of a wonky network, but I am also seeing reports from big North American networks like Bell and AT&T.

vwauditech

Apr 22, 2007
Pennsylvania
I have the same problem. It seems to take about 20 seconds of the busy signal after I have hung up before the call disconnects. Its really annoying.