ICS 4.0.3 for HD for all 900

Search This thread

adrianaxente

Apr 18, 2011
Bucharest

Android Ice Cream Sandwich for HD for all 900yer base on the Hi3716C Soc

Hello dear friends I managed to get working a new Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 based on the 3.0.8 kernel and the update zips.

Requirements:
  1. An Eboda HD for all 900 player (If you don't have one, buy one :p)
  2. The device must be up to date with the latest original v1.0.0.r938 rom. The download page can be found here
  3. An sdcard/usb-stick formated using FAT file system with at least 256 MB free space
  4. Lots of guts (If you follow the procedure right nothing bad should happen)

Disclaimer

I am not responsible for any damage what-so-ever done to your Eboda HD for all 900, as with any ROM.
You accept this risk on your own !!!.

Instalation Procedure:
Be Aware that the install procedure will delete all data from the internal SD-CARD !!!
So back-up everything that is important

1. Get an USB-stick/SD-Card
  2. Format the USB-Stick/SD-Card using FAT file system
  3. Copy update_system.zip and update.zip to the USB-Stick/SD-Card
  4. Make sure that you TV is switched on and the Player is connected to it
  5. Shut down the player
  6. Unplug any storage (USB-Sticks, SD-Cards, External or Internal Hard-Drives)
  7. Unplug the power cable from the player
  8. Insert the USB-Stick/SD-Card into the player
  9. Push the player power button and keep it held down
  10. With the power button held down plug in the player's power cable
  11. Keep the player's power button held down for at least 5 seconds (you should be now in recovery mode)
  12. Now the update procedure will start you will be able to see it happening on the TV
  13. The update procedure has 2 main stages, after stage 1 it will reboot and continue the second one.
  14. When the second stage will finish the updater progress bar will reach 100%
  15. Wait till the second stage finishes then unplug the power cable and plug it back to boot the device
  16. Congratulation !!! you flashed Android 4.0.3 on Eboda HD for all 900

Do not install any original/non original rom made by EBODA or whatever over this 4.0.3 version !!! It can brick your device permanently !!!
If you want to come back to the original v1.0.0.r938 you will find the instruction bellow.
After coming back to the factory version with the bellow procedure to v1.0.0.r938 you can install what ever ROM you wish on your own risk.

Installation Notes:
  1. The installation will happen in 2 stages, the player will reboot once and continue with stage 2
  2. After the second stage finishes you must unplug the power cable and plug it back again to boot the device.
    This is necessary because of a bug in the new 3.0.8 kernel that does not handle well the power management.

Not Working:
  1. The shut down.When you shut down the player it will enter in sleep mode.
    Shunting down by command line will generate a kernel panic and the device will freeze,
    case in which you need to unplug the power cable.

What is next:
  1. Fixing the shutdown
  2. Demystifying and eventually finding out why the player uses only 256 MB of RAM
  3. Adding XBMC
  4. Adding a launcher more suitable for a media player
  5. Adding more specific media player stuff, like apps etc..

Reinstalling the original v1.0.0.r938 version:
Download the update_system.zip and the update.zip and follow the above install procedure replacing the zip update files with this ones.

Credits:
  1. M1cha from this forum helping me with the initial rom am the technical procedure for flashing using UART that was necessary in the development stage.
  2. Gmini Atlas Magic Box files from their download site used as base for this rom

XDA:DevDB Information
Ice Cream Sandwich for HD for all 900, ROM for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
adrianaxente
ROM OS Version: 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2014-06-15
Last Updated 2014-06-30

bau33

Apr 25, 2007
The files for 4.0.3 and 938 (update.zip) are the same in the download links...can you check please?

Last edited:

adrianaxente

Apr 18, 2011
Bucharest
The files for 4.0.3 and 938 (update.zip) are the same in the download links...can you check please?

The files and the links are ok.The names of the zips are the same, that is right, but the content ins different.The update_system for the 4.0.3 and 938 are similar in size but the differences are:
  • update_system.zip for 4.0.3 is similar in size to the 938 but the content is slightly different.The 4.0.3 has a different bootargs.img that has been modified for the 4.0.3 rom, the boot.img (the bootloader) for the 4.0.3 is the same as for 938 with the only difference that has been patched because it hold a hard-coded partition layout for the recovery, and the recovery is completely the same.
  • update.zip for 4.0.3 is completely different from the one for the 9.3.8

So the files are as posted:

For 4.0.3:
update_system.zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogqnyasiafz4126/update_system.zip 7.96 MB
update.zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/t90did16in2whe6/update.zip 108.53 MB

For the 938
update_system.zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/wh1m1oq4xtif41n/update_system.zip 7.08 MB
update.zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/dec9fmqtai30tv4/update.zip 95.26 MB

Please don't forget to give me some feedback if you install and test it.

Best Regards

Last edited:

bau33

Apr 25, 2007
The link from 4.0.3 is sending me to a download page. If i press Direct download, the file which downloads has 98.5 MB and the same md5 like the one from 938. Can you post the files somwhere else?
Im very eager to try the firmware and i will feedback it !
PS: I'm realy amazed that you managed to make this rom! Very good job!

adrianaxente

Apr 18, 2011
Bucharest
The link from 4.0.3 is sending me to a download page. If i press Direct download, the file which downloads has 98.5 MB and the same md5 like the one from 938. Can you post the files somwhere else?
Im very eager to try the firmware and i will feedback it !
PS: I'm realy amazed that you managed to make this rom! Very good job!

Ok I updated the download urls.I re-shared the zip files by DropBox.

Best Regards

bau33

Apr 25, 2007
copied the files on the stick, powered off -on with the Menu button pressed, started to install, rebooted once and now stuck on the Eboda logo - doesn't want to enter recovery mode anymore. any ideea?

adrianaxente

Apr 18, 2011
Bucharest
copied the files on the stick, powered off -on with the Menu button pressed, started to install, rebooted once and now stuck on the Eboda logo - doesn't want to enter recovery mode anymore. any ideea?

Hello I also reproduced the issue reported by you.
It seams that when going from the original 938 to 4.0.3 the device gets a kernel panic because of some wrong combination of kernel and recovery.
Looking forward to fix it.

Please give me your phone number so, I can talk about the next steps of fixing your device.

Best Regards

adrianaxente

Apr 18, 2011
Bucharest

The bug was fixed now, but unfortunately your device is bricked and it can be restored only by using a ttl-serial to usb or tt-serial to RS-232 (computer old serial port) adapter.
Please send be your device by post and I will restore it for you since bricking it was my fault
if is not possible I can provide detailed instructions how to restore it.

Best Regards

Last edited:

popab

Aug 6, 2009
Bucharest
Veolo

Salut, am un AC RYAN VEOLO, stiu ca e cam acelasi lucru cu Eboda HD900, as putea incerca acest firmware sau risc prea mult?
Merci:cowboy: