[Q] EE/Google Play Mobile Carrier Billing inop

Search This thread

tip2tail

Apr 4, 2010
Hamilton
www.tip2tail.co.uk
Hi All,

I have a bit of a problem in that Mobile Carrier Billing - i.e. buying an app on the Play Store and charging it on my phone bill - is no longer working. If you will indulge me I will try and provide as much background and information as I can.

I am running ARHD - currently on a 31.x build but have been on KitKat as well and only downgraded again to see if it made a difference.

This feature used to work, last used in February 2014 to purchase an app.

Since then, EE have upped my data allowance after I called in to complain it was too low compared to new customers. I was told this would not affect my contract length etc, but clearly they had to do something to my tarrif/account on the system to up the allowance.

I have also had my mobile telephone number changed due to harrasing calls. Again this hasn't actually changed my account - just my number. Both of these changes took place in March 2014.

Earlier today, I tried to purchase an app. The payment option for "Bill to my EE account" was disabled.

I logged into the Google Wallet website and checked payment options - my OLD mobile number was shown there (twice actually - once at EE and once as T-Mobile). I removed both instances of my old number, and I removed an old debit card too. No luck, tried to pay for an app again and the option to pay by carrier is no longer even there in the app!

After checking some FAQs, I called EE for advice and to check if my account is in good standing (I know it is - but just in case they had a block on). EE confirmed they have no reason on the account to block this feature. They suggested I contact Google.

OK, nearly there! Contacted Google Wallet Customer Services - they checked the account, and again confirmed that there was no problem with it. They said to call EE as it was a problem with them!! Aghhhhhhh!

Finally, I called EE again. They have passed the case to a Technical Product Manager for him to call me back on Wednesday. But in the meantime I wondered if anyone on here has had a similar issue?

Is there anything I can try? I have root and S-Off on the phone.

Thanks for reading ;)

Mark