Amazon: $50 Gray HTC One X for upgrades on ANY family plan line

Search This thread

F1reEng1neRed

Feb 17, 2011
Honolulu, HI
No you have to stick the with phone on the line you upgraded through Amazon (I know this sucks:(). Here is an excerpt from their FAQ section that answers your question:

• I need a new phone, but my line isn't eligible for an upgrade. Another line in my family account is eligible. Can I get a new phone for my line by using the upgrade of the other line in my family account?
  • While carriers may offer the option to swap upgrades between different lines on the same family account, this option isn't available through AmazonWireless. Phones purchased from AmazonWireless must remain on the line upgraded for 181 days. If you move the device to an alternate line within the first 181 days, you'd be subject to additional charges by AmazonWireless of up to $250 (per phone), plus applicable taxes.

That's B.S. They may say that, but they have no control over it. Once you get the phone, you just call AT&T and they will swap what phone is used on what line for free and Amazon has nothing to do with it. I did this exact thing when I got my SGS2. My wife's line was actually the one eligible for the upgrade, but I'm using it on my number.

Just order it and after you get it in the mail, call AT&T and tell them you want to use it on your other number. They will ask for your IMEI, have you put the in the new SIM, and activate it on the number you want.

Reactions: clutchmasters

snvyas

May 2, 2012
That's B.S. They may say that, but they have no control over it. Once you get the phone, you just call AT&T and they will swap what phone is used on what line for free and Amazon has nothing to do with it. I did this exact thing when I got my SGS2. My wife's line was actually the one eligible for the upgrade, but I'm using it on my number.

Just order it and after you get it in the mail, call AT&T and tell them you want to use it on your other number. They will ask for your IMEI, have you put the in the new SIM, and activate it on the number you want.

But what if the line that's eligible for an upgrade does not have a data plan on it? I have a family plan and my mom's line is up for an upgrade but she doesn't have (or want) a smartphone. I know that I can go into an ATT store and use her upgrade with no problem. But does anyone know if I can do the same thing with Amazon/Radio Shack that makes you add on a data plan when you buy the phone?

vinuneuro

Apr 29, 2012
Chicago
ATT won't subsidize a smartphone without a data plan either.

I'm in a similar but opposite situation. I don't have a smartphone, the other line in the family plan has unlimited that isn't being used much. Neither are on contract. We're swapping numbers, and I'm using that line to upgrade and adding 200mb data to my current.

Last edited:

lilhyper

Aug 24, 2011

I'm in a similar but opposite situation. I don't have a smartphone, the other line in the family plan has unlimited that isn't being used much. Neither are on contract. We're swapping numbers, and I'm using that line to upgrade and adding 200mb data to my current.

Yup this is true. In fact, my first smartphone I bought myself out of contract, and AT&T automatically added a data plan to my account even though I've set the phone to block data usage.

Crizthakidd

Jul 28, 2010
Jersey
f that man just swap sim cards, lol atnt still thinks my mom is using some old nokia phone with no data yet she has a blackberry torch lol, im buyin the phone with my dads upgrade and just putting my pre paid sim in it, i hope it all works out lol

nunyabiziz

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone that is going to listen to the people that say just swap sim/phoneline after upgrading, remember not to be upset when Amazon hit you with the chargeback that they got hit with by At&t. At&t NOW keeps a database of IMEI for the newer phones sold by At&t. Amazon and some other resellers like Letstalk require the phones stay with the same number for a period longer than 30days. You are able to get better deals but you are agreeing to two contracts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

vioalas

Apr 3, 2012
Lakeland, Fl
I'm just going to add my two cents. My grandmother is on my family plan, she doesn't use a smartphone or have a smartphone data plan.

I used her upgrade. When I get the phone Friday I'm going to call AT&T and register the Sim to my number. After all that is set and done I'm going to go on myAT&T and take off any data plan they put on her line, as long as her sim is in a feature phone and not a smartphone I have the option to remove the data plan, even if I used her line to upgrade. I've done this several times before. As long as the upgrade is done through AT&T it's really easy. I also did it after I upgraded through Amazon wireless, but it was more difficult and I almost got slammed with fees. So this time I did it through AT&T to stay safe.

snvyas

May 2, 2012

Actually they will if you go into the store. I have been doing this for years (I have 5 lines on my account but only 1 with a data plan) and either using the phone for myself or selling it on ebay. If a line (other than mine) is up for an upgrade, I just walk in and tell them which phone I want and that I am going to give it away as a present. I haven't been denied a single time and they don't even bother opening up the phone to set it up etc.

For the record I have only done this at corporate stores and not at Radio Shack, Best Buy or anywhere online.

JeepFreak

May 17, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I called Amazon to try to get the $100 refund early this morning and they said the price was still $150 so they couldn't help me. This was before I noticed that the option wasn't even selectable. Anyway, I replied to their follow-up email with the info for RadioShack and they reduced my price to match that. I am[\I] the primary on my family talk plan, so I dunno if they would have noticed if I wasn't, but I'm happy as can be, none the less! $50 shipped with no tax and no activation fee (just got one waived for one of my lines today)! Plus it looks like I'll be able to sell my Nexus one and both docks for $150!! XD
Billy

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

F1reEng1neRed

Feb 17, 2011
Honolulu, HI
But what if the line that's eligible for an upgrade does not have a data plan on it? I have a family plan and my mom's line is up for an upgrade but she doesn't have (or want) a smartphone. I know that I can go into an ATT store and use her upgrade with no problem. But does anyone know if I can do the same thing with Amazon/Radio Shack that makes you add on a data plan when you buy the phone?

Yes, you have to get a smartphone data plan with that. For any subsidized smartphone, whether it be a first time purchase or an upgrade, you have to have a data plan attached.

t0mmy

Feb 11, 2010
Philly Suburbs

Can anyone else confirm this?

My girlfriends line is eligible for the upgrade so I ordered it with the plan to just put my sim card in it after I got it. Now I'm ready to cancel because there is so many conflicting reports on whether amazon will hit you with their etf. Just to clarify, its not like I'm going to use a dummy line to upgrade then going to cancel the data, we're going to keep all voice and data options linked to that line. All we would be doing is switching sims between the phones and leaving the plans unchanged, but is this enough to flag us to at&t/amazon and trigger the etf?

edit: Also @F1reEng1neRed:
How long ago did you do this with your galaxy s II, because when I was on the phone with amazon support they said the etf notices don't necessarily go out right away. She said for example, the last wave of etf notices were for people affected as far back as november 2011.. wtf

Last edited:

centex99

Nov 2, 2007
McKinney, TX
I would have to guess if you leave your upgraded line data plans/voice plans the same, and just use the new phone in another sim and a different phone in the upgraded sim... they would not have any issues... though, I won't say for 100%, but that would be my educated guess. They would be getting paid, at&t would be happy and not report any non comitments in regards to the plan... they're 99% concerned about the plan and getting paid based upon you keeping some level of service.

zeezz

Jun 10, 2007
As an update, I failed on my attempt to get them to pricematch the 49.99 grey model at radioshack to my 149.99 white phone order at amazon. Still stating it's a 'technical error' not allowing grey family plan upgrade orders at this time..

zeezz

Jun 10, 2007
I have a sinking feeling that it won't be fixed until the radioshack sale is over on Saturday :)

darkamikaze

Aug 7, 2010
Candyland
I don't really lose anything if I go with Radioshack's deal instead right?

To keep my unlimited I should :
Call ATT first and let them know I'm going to get tthe phone through Radioshack
Order it through Radioshack
????
Profit?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought this deal required its own thread. Amazon is selling the HTC One X in gray for $49.99 on ANY family plan line. Unlike the the Radio Shack deal which requires you to be the primary on the line, Amazon does NOT require that.

Here I was, with my $400 saved, thinking this phone was going to be $299 + $55 CA tax + $36 Activation fee... and I end up spending $50 total. :eek: :D :cool:

For that price, the Galaxy S3 is not even an afterthought.
    1. I believe you have to return it to Amazon for the first 14 or 30 days. Afterward, I would assume AT&T.

2. I also have an unlimited plan. The process is as follows:

• Call AT&T and let them know you're going to be getting your phone through Amazon which requires a data plan change. If he's a knowledgeable rep, he will annotate your account and will tell you to call them as soon as you receive your equipment so they can revert you back to the unlimited plan. It took me 3 different reps, but the 3rd rep guaranteed me that he will annotate that in my account and verified with his supervisor that its possible to revert back without any issues.
    • Order through Amazon and choose any data plan, preferably the $30 dollar plan (cheapest one).
    placed my order on the 26th of April for $150... I can cancel and re-order with the new price right? I chose grey both times anyway.

I think someone else said that they just called amazon and they refunded the $100 difference
    No you have to stick the with phone on the line you upgraded through Amazon (I know this sucks:(). Here is an excerpt from their FAQ section that answers your question:

• I need a new phone, but my line isn't eligible for an upgrade. Another line in my family account is eligible. Can I get a new phone for my line by using the upgrade of the other line in my family account?
    • While carriers may offer the option to swap upgrades between different lines on the same family account, this option isn't available through AmazonWireless. Phones purchased from AmazonWireless must remain on the line upgraded for 181 days. If you move the device to an alternate line within the first 181 days, you'd be subject to additional charges by AmazonWireless of up to $250 (per phone), plus applicable taxes.

Can anyone else confirm this?

My girlfriends line is eligible for the upgrade so I ordered it with the plan to just put my sim card in it after I got it. Now I'm ready to cancel because there is so many conflicting reports on whether amazon will hit you with their etf. Just to clarify, its not like I'm going to use a dummy line to upgrade then going to cancel the data, we're going to keep all voice and data options linked to that line. All we would be doing is switching sims between the phones and leaving the plans unchanged, but is this enough to flag us to at&t/amazon and trigger the etf?

edit: Also @F1reEng1neRed:
    How long ago did you do this with your galaxy s II, because when I was on the phone with amazon support they said the etf notices don't necessarily go out right away. She said for example, the last wave of etf notices were for people affected as far back as november 2011.. wtf

At lauch of the AT&T GS2 last year. This was Oct if I remember. The AT&T rep even told me that Amazon had no control over that and had nothing to do with it. She said Amazon wouldn't even have a way to verify it. Amazon cannot dictate to AT&T movement of phones on their network.