[Q] Worth upgrading to OG?

Search This thread

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey OG users, I'm currently an HTC Sensation 4G / T-Mobile user looking for a good low-cost used phone to upgrade to.

Is the Optimus G a good phone right now?

I like the idea of the OG because:
  1. T-Mobile LTE and HSPA+ is supposedly supported
  2. It's a sister phone with the Nexus 4 so all Google's hardware driver updates should be able to be ported
  3. It HAS AN SD CARD SLOT
  4. It's got all the specs I want (HD screen, Quad Core, 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM)
  5. It has OFFICIAL CM11. (How is that? Stable? Works well? I'm running an unofficial build on my senni and it's fantastic.)
  6. Battery is fairly easily user-replaceable for when it degrades after a while.
  7. IT'S BETTER THAN MY INCREDIBLY LOW RAM/ROM SENSATION.

I would probably use it for 18 - 30 Months and I don't want to spend more than $200 on an upgrade so this would be perfect. (I think)

Any advice you can give me? Would you would recommend this phone?
Thanks!

jxcorex28

Feb 20, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Al.
Official cm 11 for this device runs well..but I speak only of experience running official builds on the e970 (geeb) ...currently there's a M4 build, and a RC3 if I'm not mistaken. Nightlies are maintained by shelnutt2 ( I think)...I haven't heard anything about replacing the battery. That's a first for me,but I've only had the LGOG for a month. I came from the note i717 forums

Sent from my LG-geeb using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2571625

[ROM][CM11.0] OFFICIAL CM11.0 for E970

I've included a link to shelnutt2's Official cm11 ROM

Reactions: Electriccars

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
Official cm 11 for this device runs well..but I speak only of experience running official builds on the e970 (geeb) ...currently there's a M4 build, and a RC3 if I'm not mistaken. Nightlies are maintained by shelnutt2 ( I think)...I haven't heard anything about replacing the battery. That's a first for me,but I've only had the LGOG for a month. I came from the note i717 forums

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

Yeah that's the one I was talking about, the I found by going to Cyanogenmod.com

So it does run well? That's good to hear. :D

And I've never actually run official nightlies before, I've always used unofficial builds (since they're for newer versions of CM than the official versions are) that are more like weeklies and I do a full wipe about every 4th update since they say we shouldn't Dirty Flash. I can't imagine not dirty flashing on a ROM updated every night!

How do they deal with dirty flashing on nightlies? Don't residual problem arise? Or when they do, do they ask to do a full wipe before reporting it to make sure it's really there?

I'm not sure If I'd prefer to do the M builds only or Nightlies.

Thanks for your reply!

optimusv45

Jan 22, 2012
Huntington, WV
Do it man. I had the g pro for a few days. Now returning it and coming back to this. ( the one I had was beat up which ruined the experience a little bit ) this may sound weird but the 5.5 inch screen somehow didnt seem as cozy .. I may buy a better condition g pro but this really isn't bad at all

Last edited:

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge
The sensation was an awful phone, got it when it released, then went back to my my touch 4g. Any phone released in 2012 is better than it, even the SGSII.

Sent From Burning Gundam

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
The sensation was an awful phone, got it when it released, then went back to my my touch 4g. Any phone released in 2012 is better than it, even the SGSII.

Sent From Burning Gundam

Some more than others, my sensation has been pretty fun over the last 18 months. :D but I think its time for a new adventure! Haha.

I just bought a phone with a "clean esn, cracked back, fuzzy camera, everything else works fine" OG for $71 on eBay, and ordered a new back for $24. If the back clears up the camera as well then I got a $95 upgrade! :D

If I don't like it I can always resell.

We'll see what happens in a few days when it arrives. :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
Do it man. I had the g pro for a few days. Now returning it and coming back to this. ( the one I had was beat up which ruined the experience a little bit ) this may sound weird but the 5.5 inch screen somehow didnt seem as cozy .. I may buy a better condition g pro but this really isn't bad at all

Yeah, I can't see myself using a phone larger than 5", MAYBE the G2, but 5.5"+ is way to big.

Though I'm probably going to upgrade my mom in a few months to the note 2 since it has a pen. We'll see.

jxcorex28

Feb 20, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Al.
I had the galaxy note i717, I rarely even used the S-pen...I pretty much stay on cm ROMs though, don't really go back to stock to often.

Sent from my LG-E970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
I guess people just like what they don't have

Depends on the person/device.

I have no interest in the Galaxy line with the burn in prone AMOLED; no interest in the HTC One 2013, do to a terrible button layout, and impossible to replace battery; no interest in phablets, too big.

If someone gifted one to me I may use it, but I'd likely sell it for another cheaper phone and pocket the difference

Electriccars

Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
I had the galaxy note i717, I rarely even used the S-pen...I pretty much stay on cm ROMs though, don't really go back to stock to often.

That would be my case as well, but my Mom's had a phone with a stylus in the past and I'm fairly certain she'd use it.

jxcorex28

Feb 20, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Al.
I told myself I'd never get a phablet but I ended up doing so. When I purchased the SGN i717...the size has its pros/cons...I wouldn't of gone any ****** than the 5.5 inch screen though. The Galaxy Mega is way to big, AFAIK there isn't another phone bigger right now other than the Mega...Most phones seem to be going for the 4.7-5.5 inch sizes...

optimusv45

Jan 22, 2012
Huntington, WV
I told myself I'd never get a phablet but I ended up doing so. When I purchased the SGN i717...the size has its pros/cons...I wouldn't of gone any ****** than the 5.5 inch screen though. The Galaxy Mega is way to big, AFAIK there isn't another phone bigger right now other than the Mega...Most phones seem to be going for the 4.7-5.5 inch sizes...

The g pro 2 is gonna be 5.7 ? I'm looking forward to trying it out in att stores

jxcorex28

Feb 20, 2014
Tuscaloosa, Al.
The real estate is nice...the display looks great and playing games feels great with a larger screen...LGOG suits my screen size though. I'm not a huge gamer type anyhow...

Sent from my LG Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The vast majority of people have failed to get tmo lte. Other than that it works like a charm.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app