k2_CL RUU freezing @ black HTC screen

Search This thread

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
I am trying to restore my phone obviously but when I try to use the RUU it keeps freezing at the update progress screen, but the bar never shows up. Any ideas?

Tried a different cable, and now I am getting error 155, (The rom update utility couldn't update your android phone.)

The reason this is such a problem, is because I can't get intpo TWRP, it gives me the twrp loading screen, but then softboots loops over and over into the twrp loading screen. I flashed recovery.img a couple of times and still can't get it working.

Basically at this point I feel like it's RUU or bust.

Last edited:
G

GuestK00100

I am trying to restore my phone obviously but when I try to use the RUU it keeps freezing at the update progress screen, but the bar never shows up. Any ideas?

RUU will boot you into [fastboot's OEM rebootRUU] mode. Do you mean there is not a green progress bar? What ROM ver are you currently on?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
RUU will boot you into [fastboot's OEM rebootRUU] mode. Do you mean there is not a green progress bar? What ROM ver are you currently on?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Yes no green progress bar. Currently there is no rom, because I cannot get into twrp. I edited my original post with some additional info.

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
Another update. I finally got into twrp, and now I just need a rom to flash I believe.

I have flashed a rom still no luck.

I flashed stock recovery, and relocked my bootloader. and tried the RUU again still getting error155. if anyone has a TWRP nandroid or a rom I could try that would be amazing.

Last edited:

omarmando

Jul 9, 2013
Mexicali
bad english

Another update. I finally got into twrp, and now I just need a rom to flash I believe.

I have flashed a rom still no luck.

I flashed stock recovery, and relocked my bootloader. and tried the RUU again still getting error155. if anyone has a TWRP nandroid or a rom I could try that would be amazing.

Check this out i had the same problem than you, and this was the answer
First at all restore this backup with TWRP

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2734434
ICS preferred,
FLASH BOOT.IMG with Fastboot

Second if you can start up your HTC,
flash stock ICS
recovery.img with fastboot.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317379
then you can update via OTA.

Send me a message if you have problems

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH.

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
Check this out i had the same problem than you, and this was the answer
First at all restore this backup with TWRP

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2734434
ICS preferred,
FLASH BOOT.IMG with Fastboot

Second if you can start up your HTC,
flash stock ICS
recovery.img with fastboot.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317379
then you can update via OTA.

Send me a message if you have problems

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH.

I am trying the first method you sent me, but which boot.img are we talking here?

M

Modding.MyMind

There is an encrypted Rom.zip pulled from the actual RUU itself posted for K2_CL.

Using fastboot:

fastboot erase cache

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip Rom.zip

Give it time. Could take ten minutes or longer until it is complete. Had a guy do it over on AF and he has his phone back now.

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
There is an encrypted Rom.zip pulled from the actual RUU itself posted for K2_CL.

Using fastboot:

fastboot erase cache

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip Rom.zip

Give it time. Could take ten minutes or longer until it is complete. Had a guy do it over on AF and he has his phone back now.

Yeah that fails with

C:\adb>fastboot flash zip Rom.zip
sending 'zip' (616945 KB)...
OKAY [ 23.035s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) signature checking...
(bootloader) rom parsing start ...
(bootloader) rom parsing finish ...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 22 loading zip info fail
Please check if you flash part)
finished. total time: 92.353s

M

Modding.MyMind

Yeah that fails with

C:\adb>fastboot flash zip Rom.zip
sending 'zip' (616945 KB)...
OKAY [ 23.035s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) signature checking...
(bootloader) rom parsing start ...
(bootloader) rom parsing finish ...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 22 loading zip info fail
Please check if you flash part)
finished. total time: 92.353s

What shows on your device screen when doing it?

Also, if you are S-On and was on 4.2.2 prior to your device giving problems then it will fail because the RUU is 4.1.2 and would require a "downgrade" which can only be achieved if S-Off.

With that said, I went back up on this thread and saw you are having problems with TWRP. Make sure you are using the correct one. Should be 2.7.0.2d or 2.7.0.2c. If attempting to flash another version and you are on 4.2.2 then you will get boot problems with the recovery.

In addition, make sure your bootloader isn't locked if S-On while messing with TWRP or that will cause a security problem on your device.

Last edited:

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
What shows on your device screen when doing it?

Also, if you are S-On and was on 4.2.2 prior to your device giving problems then it will fail because the RUU is 4.1.2 and would require a "downgrade" which can only be achieved if S-Off.

With that said, I went back up on this thread and saw you are having problems with TWRP. Make sure you are using the correct one. Should be 2.7.0.2d or 2.7.0.2c. If attempting to flash another version and you are on 4.2.2 then you will get boot problems with the recovery.

In addition, make sure your bootloader isn't locked if S-On while messing with TWRP or that will cause a security problem on your device.

bootloader is unlocked but I am s-on maybe that is causing all of my problems. I will see what I can do to remedy that. Well nevermind, I can' t s-off without a working rom, and I can't get a working rom without s-off.

Last edited:
M

Modding.MyMind

bootloader is unlocked but I am s-on maybe that is causing all of my problems. I will see what I can do to remedy that. Well nevermind, I can' t s-off without a working rom, and I can't get a working rom without s-off.

Hmm, well, there is one thing I know for sure and that it that you are definitely able to restore your phone, so I'm pretty sure that some attempts being made In regards to trying other methods are possibly not being done exactly like they should.

This device is VERY hard to wreck and I have done LOTS to my phone and have always been able to bring it back to life in 5 minutes or less.

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
I am fairly certain I am doing it right. My mistake here was not doing a backup before I flashed anything. Let me go through what I had tried.

The RUU, I run it with my bootloader locked and I get error 158, I run it unlocked, I still get error 158.

I have tried the rom from the RUU, fastboot into ruu mode, transfer it, and I get an error

I tried putting PL80IMG in the root of my sd, it seems to flash correctly but it boots in white htc quietly brilliant screen. and flash boot.img for that rom.

I restore a rom via TWRP boots into white htc quietly brilliant screen.

and countless other things.

M

Modding.MyMind

I am fairly certain I am doing it right. My mistake here was not doing a backup before I flashed anything. Let me go through what I had tried.

The RUU, I run it with my bootloader locked and I get error 158, I run it unlocked, I still get error 158.

I have tried the rom from the RUU, fastboot into ruu mode, transfer it, and I get an error

I tried putting PL80IMG in the root of my sd, it seems to flash correctly but it boots in white htc quietly brilliant screen. and flash boot.img for that rom.

I restore a rom via TWRP boots into white htc quietly brilliant screen.

and countless other things.

1. RUU won't work because it's 4.1.2 and you were on 4.2.2. The RUU has the HBoot in it and your device will not allow the HBoot to be downgraded because you are S-On. Only time you can use an RUU is if it is equivalent to 4.2.2 which one does not currently exist for us.

2. PL80IMG.zip's only work for those who are S-Off. Which is why it won't work for you.

3. When you restore your device using TWRP you ALSO have to rename boot.emmc.win to boot.img and flash it using fastboot:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

-- This is because, once again, you are S-On and cannot write to your boot partition EXCEPT using fastboot. You could using dumlock but to get dumlock initially set up for the first time would require your device to be able to load an OS so for you that is currently out of the question.

You must restore your device using a twrp backup, AND NOT REBOOT THE SYSTEM when it is done.

Instead, reboot the bootloader, and using fastboot, flash the boot.img which comes with the twrp backup as I just stated earlier.

Then you may reboot.

That will ALWAYS work, so if it fails, then this is an end user problem.