Nexus 7 Fastboot freeze on USB connection

Search This thread

falcomomo

Oct 15, 2010
I never thought I'd have to go as far as create a thread pleading for help, but after a lot of Google searching I still cannot find someone with the same problem.
I will explain:

I am trying to use fastboot, which I (don't think) I've any problems with in the past.
I can issue commands in normal use via adb from my PC fine.
I can adb reboot bootloader ok, and can get into the bootloader any other way just fine.
I can use the volume keys to navigate the options in the bootloader just fine.

The problem comes with I connect the USB to my PC whilst in fastboot.
Windows fails to recognise the device, and says it may have malfunctioned.
It won't allow me to reinstall the drivers successfully it seems, and seems to have a problem with the USB Host Controller too.
Fastboot immediately freezes, and I'm unable to even navigate using the volume keys, let alone issue commands from my PC.

My question then is twofold:
1. Is there likely to be a problem with the USB port on my device, or some sort of bootloader corruption?
2. Is it possible to return to stock Android without using fastboot?

Finally, I would like to stress that I've seen plenty of similar looking threads, but it seemed that the posters of those threads merely had problems getting in to the bootloader or recovery.
I haven't got that problem, the problem only arises when a USB is connected to the PC, the tablet becomes unresponsive only in bootloader mode.

If anyone has any advice to offer at all, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Additionally, if the problem is solved, I will post a detailed set of instructions in case anybody else should encounter a similar problem in the future.

falcomomo

Oct 15, 2010

Update for anyone who happens to read this in the future:

[This guide](http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...3923-guide-nexus-4-factory-image-restore.html) has a useful FAQ at the bottom which helped a little.

I think I managed to determine the problem was likely a duff usb connection, either on my Nexus or on my computer.
I was able to just about hobble through by keeping the cable in the same place.

In case it wasn't just this, this is what I did:

1. Flashed TWRP recovery from their app.
Went into bootloader and failed to do anything

2. Flashed CWM recovery.
Managed to be recognised in fastboot.
I still had problems with my Nexus 'malfunctioning' -- possible the USB.
I updated the drivers using the ones from [this thread](http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979).

3. Flashed a new bootloader image immediately (there were rumours that a dodgy version had been released accidentally). [This](http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877489996594) is the one I used.
Then I managed to get the stock ROM flashed, and the bootloader locked up again.

Oct 3, 2012
Fastboot freezes whenever USB plugged in

I'm having a problem with this step...
1. When booting to fastboot with any sort of USB plugged in, your buttons on the side may not respond. In this case, pull the cable and hold down power + Vol Down until it reboots. The buttons should now respond and you can plug USB back in if you wish.

the problem is that whenever the USB cable is plugged in, the buttons don't navigate through the options.
however, whenever the usb is NOT plugged in (and rebooted bootloader) the button work just fine.

I don't have a recovery currently installed.
The issue is not with drivers on the computer,
happens while usb plugged in both windows and linux or simply just plugged into a wall outlet to charge and with different USB cables.

I need to load fastboot but i'm having this issue. Is the device bricked without hope?

any help would be appreciated.

Nexus 7 2012 Model (grouper)
Boatloader version 3.34

Reactions: tinted

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fastboot freezes whenever USB plugged in

I'm having a problem with this step...
    1. When booting to fastboot with any sort of USB plugged in, your buttons on the side may not respond. In this case, pull the cable and hold down power + Vol Down until it reboots. The buttons should now respond and you can plug USB back in if you wish.

the problem is that whenever the USB cable is plugged in, the buttons don't navigate through the options.
    however, whenever the usb is NOT plugged in (and rebooted bootloader) the button work just fine.

I don't have a recovery currently installed.
    The issue is not with drivers on the computer,
    happens while usb plugged in both windows and linux or simply just plugged into a wall outlet to charge and with different USB cables.

I need to load fastboot but i'm having this issue. Is the device bricked without hope?

any help would be appreciated.

Nexus 7 2012 Model (grouper)
    Boatloader version 3.34