Screen cracked already.. :-(

Search This thread

AznDud333

Nov 24, 2011
i took a look around on gorilla glass manufacturing, i think this is actually a manufacturing defect that occurs over time
gorilla is made by heating glass to 400C and dipping it in molten potassium(to rid of the sodium ions in glass and replace it with potassium, which is a bigger ion) what this does is that it creates more surface tension, as the surface of the glass is pushed together, therefore getting rid of "imperfections" and so it does not crack as easily

the con in this process is that the "breathing" room for these ions are gone, so if you were in a really cold place, chances are your screen is a bit cold too..then it gets heated up and the potassium ion has no where to go, therefore forming this hairline crack

Reactions: Xhyperion

phreshjoker

May 31, 2010
coppell
Dude you rock... I ain't taking my phone no where cold

i took a look around on gorilla glass manufacturing, i think this is actually a manufacturing defect that occurs over time
gorilla is made by heating glass to 400C and dipping it in molten potassium(to rid of the sodium ions in glass and replace it with potassium, which is a bigger ion) what this does is that it creates more surface tension, as the surface of the glass is pushed together, therefore getting rid of "imperfections" and so it does not crack as easily

the con in this process is that the "breathing" room for these ions are gone, so if you were in a really cold place, chances are your screen is a bit cold too..then it gets heated up and the potassium ion has no where to go, therefore forming this hairline crack

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

AznDud333

Nov 24, 2011

the idea isnt that the phone cracks when it's cold
it's that when it's suddenly heated from a lower temperature it may or may not crack due to the increased surface tension(not entirely cracking, just the surface of one of the sides)

Reactions: xsteven77x

jaekidd1012

Nov 27, 2007
New York, NY
I've had a D30 case and screen protector on my phone from day one and have dropped it too many times (s*** happens, right?) Without a scratch, crack or blemish. It takes away from the aesthetics but its better than replacing a $500 phone. I would love to look at my phone without the case but this thing is too expensive to take out into the world commando.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
The phone is too big to go in your pocket ,cause when you sit down you are putting pressure on the thin phone and sometime the plastic flex a little will crack the glass. Not like HTC where they have metal in the back . Samsung Phones are allways built like toys.thats the reason why I don't like Samsuk.

And if you drop a heavy thick craps phone (HTC) from more then 2 feet, it'll shatter like a iPhone 4.

People have taken hammers to the SGS and SGS II and not even managed to crack the screen.

The plastic body is also better because, unlike "metal" like HTC, it won't deform from a drop, just scratch up a bit if it's a bad drop.

That's really weird that the screen cracked already, but now that I know that cold thing, NO COLD PLACES FOR ME PHONE.

Rekzer

Nov 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I live in Winnipeg where its -40 regularly during the winter. No cracks on my phone. Ive had it exposed to the air to. I dont think warm or cold really has an effect, I honestly think its manufacturing defects. We know we have screen issues already...

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
I live in Winnipeg where its -40 regularly during the winter. No cracks on my phone. Ive had it exposed to the air to. I dont think warm or cold really has an effect, I honestly think its manufacturing defects. We know we have screen issues already...

Yeah, but apparently this is something with Gorilla Glass, so basically any Samsung phone would have this problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

MrBewst

Jan 15, 2012
Yeah, but apparently this is something with Gorilla Glass, so basically any Samsung phone would have this problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Not so fast, the Samsung GN doesn't have Gorilla glass.

However, it just clicked that this might be related to specific processes of any 'fortified glass' or for that matter Samsung manufacturing procedures. Both GSII and GN having this problem? Gorilla glass and some unknown 'fortified glass'?

Seems a little fishy. Maybe this unknown fortified glass is the same thing as Gorilla glass. Or maybe it's just the way both glasses are made... who knows.

AznDud333

Nov 24, 2011

you're failing to see the point in this

gorilla glass is manufactured by replacing smaller sodium ions with larger potassium ions, so in lesser space a larger ion has to fill the spot the sodium ion once filled, this creates a pressure that pushes the glass together and rids of "imperfections" on the glass

now on to the hot and cold part
you ever wonder why the electricity lines are tight in the winter and loose in the summer? same logic here..

what happens is that if your phone screen gets to a certain temperature and is heated suddenly, the material wont have enough time to adopt to the new temperature, and since heat causes expansion, the potassium ions would create a even larger pressure and pushes the glass apart
jusy my 2 cents, since gorilla glass i created by dipping glass in 400C molten salts, id assume only the surface is "gorilla'd", which is the reason why only a side of it would crack

edit:
the screen defect is not related to this at all
the screen defect is caused by the circuit behind the screen not being able to provide equal power to all parts of the screen, it has nothing to do with the glass

now this is rarely an issue on LCDs, but amoleds consists of numerous of oleds per pixel, so each of them is powered and signaled through some sort of controls, some of these oleds dont get enough currents, which is why this issue exists

Last edited:

MrBewst

Jan 15, 2012
edit:
the screen defect is not related to this at all
the screen defect is caused by the circuit behind the screen not being able to provide equal power to all parts of the screen, it has nothing to do with the glass

now this is rarely an issue on LCDs, but amoleds consists of numerous of oleds per pixel, so each of them is powered and signaled through some sort of controls, some of these oleds dont get enough currents, which is why this issue exists

Please forgive me, what is the defect that you are referring to?

I thought we were talking about cracks....

Some people have referenced the fact that some point of the manufacturing process might be causing initial cracks that grow over time with additional temperature change.

edit: I might have read you wrong...you might be referring that the hairline cracks are not created during user use. I'd agree with that. Most electronics can survive what humans can't. Although a crack could grow like on a car window after the initial damage.

Last edited:

magnum_touchpro

Oct 2, 2009
NW
this is weird, i have a samsung infuse that has a hair line crack on the top of the screen near the FFC out of nowhere.

glad my s2 is ok, did you have any type of screen protector on it?? i think ill go get the ghost protection just incase

AznDud333

Nov 24, 2011
Please forgive me, what is the defect that you are referring to?

I thought we were talking about cracks....

Some people have referenced the fact that some point of the manufacturing process might be causing initial cracks that grow over time with additional temperature change.

edit: I might have read you wrong...you might be referring that the hairline cracks are not created during user use. I'd agree with that. Most electronics can survive what humans can't. Although a crack could grow like on a car window after the initial damage.

Manufacturing defect is not necessary to cause this, all materials are formed with bonded atoms, therefore there will be imperfections between them

Anyway, imagine one side of the glass expanding while the other gets compressed

Erikdrakon

Feb 12, 2008
Tampa, FL
gsII screen crack is a known issue within tmo if you take it in to a store or call in it should be replaced without much of an issue... covered under warranty no charge for the replacement.

Xhyperion

Oct 12, 2010
Miami
The screen is flush with the sides of the phone. It's going to come in contact with things other than your fingers. My epic had a slightly recessed screen with no protector or case and I never had a scratch or crack on the screen.

This phone really does need a case and protector even with gorilla. One straight hit to a concrete edge and you are done sir.

PrasanRocks

May 8, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S2 Hairline Crack

I also have the same hairline crack problem under the glass, after 6 months of use. Can't explain it.:mad::mad: Like everyone says can't see it with the screen guard on, and the phone works fine. The guy at the store who changed the screen guard only noticed it. From what I read it seems to be a common problem. Never dropped it but had it in my front pocket. I bought it without warranty so I m doomed....

If it is a manufacturing defect, then Samsung and the likes are cheating us.(I bought the phone in Sri Lanka and I wanted to get the MHL adaptor and asked from Samsung agent, and the sales girls had no idea what it was!!!)

Shame on Samsung!!!!!!!

sunburn12

May 10, 2012
Las Piñas
Sorry for resurrecting this topic. :D

Newbie here. I have the same issue my T989 was 3 month old then while holding it the LCD totally cracked inside and can't be use anymore. I never dropped it or done anything harsh to it's LCD. I'm just holding it then when I was going to check the time. Boom! LCD is totally gone! Only the top part is visible. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Talked to a buddy that works for TMO corporate and he said there is a known problem on some builds of the gs2 where the LCD will have a hairline crack that will show up on it's own. In other words faulty LCD's straight from the factory. If you talk to customer care or a store they should switch it out under warranty. If they question you tell them to look in their internal system under "Known Issues" for the device. On another note he said that's the only major issue they have noted.

Check out this video comparing a drop test between the iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

the idea isnt that the phone cracks when it's cold
    it's that when it's suddenly heated from a lower temperature it may or may not crack due to the increased surface tension(not entirely cracking, just the surface of one of the sides)